Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How useful is the battery warranty, really?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Swappable batteries have been tried, the main company pushing it went bust. NIO are now trying it again. The main concerns are battery ownership, it doesn't make sense to own a battery if you are going to swap it when it needs charging. People generally don't won't a battery rental agreement on their vehicle that covers the battery, one car payment is enough that goes down to zero when the car is fully paid. There were examples of Renault Zoe's that were very cheap but wouldn't sell because of a battery lease, your car without a lease was effectively worthless.

Then there's what problem is a battery swap trying to solve? If it's the charging en-route anyone who's used post 2020 EV for more than a month understands that en-route charging is nowhere near the big deal that it's made out to be by people who's opinion of EVs were formed by watching Top Gear drive a Nissan Leaf in 2011. If it's the battery longevity, we're again facing an entirely different beast from those early examples.

Battery life is primarily a function of charging cycles. NMC type batteries will last 1,000 cycles, LFP one's 3,000. A 2011 Leaf with its 22kWh usable battery should need a battery replacement by around 125,000km, the current Leaf with its 59kWh usable battery should need a battery replacement by 340,000km. A lot of cars have moved to LFP, a RWD Model Y with a usable 57.5kWh should last around 1,000,000km before needing a replacement due to degradation.

If battery swapping isn't needed for degradation reasons, doesn't make much difference for on route charging, and comes with an expensive ownership model, then the only benefit you've identified is that it will make it easier to service in the event of a non-warranty manufacturing failure. We haven't standardised any other major vehicle component for this reason so I'm not sure why a vehicle battery should be treated the same way. I'd much rather see regulation around access to manufacturer diagnostic tools and a requirement for cell level serviceability than an attempt to standardise on a battery format to allow very rare swaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭well24

Touched a nerve there :)

Relax the kacks, its only a forum ffs

Im not gonna come up with the whole concept :)

Just smaller better batteries..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No nerves here. I still have a petrol tank in my car! You did highlight the stupidity of the idea though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Good news, that's what's been happening since the first electric cars hit roads in the 1830's. The last 15 years have seen huge improvements in volumetric density, gravimetric density, power density all while lowering the cost of production.

You seem like someone who's done a detailed analysis what's the magic tipping point when you think it all comes together?

• Advertisement

Hard to say, but I would say when batteries just get better and smaller

I'm surprised your analysis was so thorough but couldn't go beyond it should be better. We've currently got family sized cars with batteries that should last 1,000,000km before degrading beyond automotive use, can I assume this level of longevity fits your better defintion?

Yet this thread is about warranties on batteries that never got anywhere near the magical 1m km

Does anyone have an EV with 1m KM on the clock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

What range issue?

NIO seem to ignore the lessons from history why no idea. I assume they think if they throw money and scale at a problem they'll capture a market somehow.

Why stop at the battery. Why not just swap the car. Same issues of viability and common sense.

At this point all battery swapping posts could be redirected into its own thread. Stop it being used (perhaps intentionally)to derail other threads.

Ok that's cool, so we've solved degradation using suitably sized LFP batteries with their 3,000 cycles. Let's move on to charging time, what C rate do you think is an acceptable level to meet your definition of better and smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Not to mention come down in cost, there's a reason a lot of cars are going from the expensive NMC cells to cheaper LFP cells for the entry models

Super high capacity Star Trek batteries are probably going to be pretty expensive when they arrive. Although since money apparently doesn't exist in the 24th century then I guess that won't be a big issue

NIO cars also allow for DC charging, I think around 150kW. In theory you can own one and never swap the pack

It'll be fun to see what happens when a NIO driver gets their nice new 100kWh pack swapped for one that's had the sheet driven out of it and is down to 70% capacity. It's easy to imagine owners swapping packs until they get a good one until the swap stations are just filled with the duds

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Its not just about battery swapping, its about battery size, weight, being hot swappable - therefore allowing spares, and batteries to be replaced / upgraded etc..

Battery technology is no where near this yet, maybe it needs a full redesign and as some poster mentioned earlier, maybe its a technology that wont last and will be replaced with something better…

No one knows, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

All good and fair points.

However in such a standardised system, the issue of battery ownership is easily dealt with. The vehicle is sold without a battery from the dealer, you pay separately for a charged battery which allows you to drive away. Thereafter the model would be exchange via forecourts etc. So you never own the battery as such. The costs of supplying these, charging, maintaining and of course energy tax, is managed by the battery & forecourt industries.

We have a gas cooker, I bought a full gas cylinder first time we used it. When it's empty I go down to local shop and exchange my empty for a new full cylinder, at the cost of the gas in it, carbon taxes and filling it etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I can say from experience of driving 900km in a single day in an EV that battery swapping would not have improved the journey at all

The whole journey was drive 3 hours -> charge for 20 mins -> drive another 3 hours -> charge for 30 mins -> drive 2.5 hours

Assuming the battery swap took 10 mins it would have turned a 9.5 hour journey into a 9.25 hour journey

Wow...what a saving

Except I have to stay in the car during the swap so if I wanted to eat or use the facilities then that would be extra, so back up to 9.5 hours

Promoting battery swaps is like flogging a dead horse

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

did I miss something?

you jumped from

“Yet this thread is about warranties on batteries that never got anywhere near the magical 1m km

Does anyone have an EV with 1m KM on the clock?”

To what you said, fill me in with the bit in the middle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Since @liamog is talking about modern battery technologies capable of getting to a million km, you're hardly going to see one now since these have only been in production models for a relatively very short time.

A Tesla model S did exceed a million miles (almost 2 million km) this year, but it was a 2014 model (so 10 years to get to that landmark) and with very old battery technology. It had 4 battery packs in that time and 13 motors.

Assuming the four battery packs were all exhausted in the 1.9 million km, that's almost 500k per pack.

There's also a Turkish taxi driver tootling around in a 2017 Renault Zoe with 350k on the clock and 96% battery state of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

It had 4 battery packs in that time and 13 motors.

😁

• Advertisement

You've said you want to see batteries get smaller and better, that's not going to happen on cars that are 8 years old and driving around. So I can only assume that you want to see new cars come with batteries that are smaller and better. We've already covered your arbitrary better standard for degradation is solved by using LFP batteries. It would be somewhat easier if you could just articulate what you think better and smaller means, but I'm happy to work through the problem as it's not often I get to discuss the topic with an expert such as yourself.

Now we're working on better charge rates, so back to the C rate, what C rate do you think is acceptable for a battery?

That model makes sense for a gas cooker with a canister where you replace the canister every time you need to refill it. I don't think anybody is going to pay a battery rental charge so they can replace the battery in the rare event that the battery needs to be replaced due to a manufacturing defect outside of its warranty period. I suspect most cars sold today will reach the end of their usable life long before any battery replacement is required.

I'm still not clear on what problem you think is solved by swapping the battery, and how often the problem manifests itself to require a standardised solution.

Ya see weve already solved the first problem, we make a great team… I’m no expert tho..

Again hard to say..

your thinking too narrow minded..let’s redesign the whole technology so that it can be better, smaller, lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Perhaps

It's easy to imagine owners swapping partners until they get a good one until the swap stations are just filled with the duds😀

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

did I say that?

”arbitrary better standard for degradation is solved by using LFP batteries”

Kudos to me :)

You keep saying EV batteries needs to be redesigned so I'm assuming you have a level of expertise in the area. What C rate does the redesigned battery need to achieve? It's a pretty basic function of battery design so should be easy to answer.

in my vision the new technology will not have a c rate

That's all battery swapping. You're trying to make a case for a square wheel.

If you need F1 style pitstops and massive range you're in the wrong vehicle.

In reality this is a hypothetical use case for something almost no one does. And if someone does do it, there's vastly better (and cheaper) ways of doing it.

You want a battery that isn't capable of charging? I'm beginning to think I might be wrong in my assessment that you're an expert in the field and there's any value in your statement that batteries need to get better.

• Advertisement

The true intelligence appears it would seem 😂

Advertisement