Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options
1458459460461462464»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There is also the unprecedented 6-way fight in North Antrim….should really take this to the NI thread though!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NI shows how the UK could look with the Tories split like UUP/DUP/TUV and Labour spit like SDLP/SF and Alliance playing the part of the Lib Dems and hoping to squeeze though the in-fighting, and each party knowing that thanks to the magic of FPTP that if they stood down there's a very good chance their least worst alternative would elected instead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Do you have access to a VPN?

I watched it last night (on YT, not geoblocked in France) and, well it's amusing but not mind-blowingly funny. Mostly a potted history of the Tory Party and how we got to where we are, with occasional references to Labour and Reform, plus a brief mention of the LibDems for comedic effect. Matt Green's parodies are probably better overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. It's probably not worth paying for one either.

Might check out Matt Green instead. Thanks for the tip.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

https://nordvpn.com/risk-free-vpn/

I use NORD because i travel quite a bit and it's great. Free money back on that link anyway if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another morning, another horrendous Reform candidate: can't say I'm the slightest bit surprised by their rhetoric as it seems entirely on brand TBH, Farage just PO'ed the quiet part is being said loud. Odd to see a right wing, presumably "anti woke" chud round in Rowling though; I'd have thought she were an ally given her own droolings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is Rowling right wing on most topics? To borrow an acronym I would say she fell into TDS (trans derangement syndrome). She seems like she is left wing on most topics but got massively obsessed with trans women. So she likely still has a lot of differences with reform especially on LGB people.

I am curious, we did have a gay poster here who was a Farage fan who also opposed trans people. I am curious how they feel now or if they have realised they are next on the list to hate after trans people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When you get to the extremes, you end up with a pit of snakes trying to behead each other. One thinks of Ireland's 6-8 far right parties for an example.

As for Rowling, her hatred of trans folk and fondness for racist tropes aside, she doesn't have much in common with the right. If she's trying to advance women's rights (aside from said hatred of trans people), she's going to make enemies of Reform UK types. I remember a prominent UKIP backer catching flak for wanting to ban women from wearing trousers.

She hates trans people and there's not much more to it than that. If she wants to protect women's access to abortion, she'll find it hard to be friends with cultural rightists.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Sky have the rights to the show here in the UK. It's broadcast on Sky Atlantic and the episodes do not normally appear on Youtube here for a month or two after.

Thanks!

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think I know the user and they made a lot of claims about themselves to the extent I started to disbelieve half the statements they made about their person; and their dogged admiration for Farage drifted into outright hero worship so I very much doubt they had much in the way of critical thinking when it came to their hero.

Fair enough though re. Rowling. It's odd 'cos she's so vocal and aggressively hostile towards trans people - to a somewhat maniacal degree - she drifts into the socially-right umbrella quite easily. TERF is the "official" terminology I've seen used; Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist.

When you get to the extremes, you end up with a pit of snakes trying to behead each other. One thinks of Ireland's 6-8 far right parties for an example.

Undoubtedly; still can't help but be a little surprised at just how extreme these individuals profess to be. I saw a clip of Farage being challenged on these people's ideologies and whilst he dogged the quesiton into the usual piffle you could see he's perhaps getting more grilling than he's used to.

He'll reform, reform into something new, like eh maybe call it the National Front 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it looks like britain will still be a sht show whoever is running it, anyone seriously think britain will be any use looking to their futuristic policies, agriculture, building new cities from scratch to solve housing that we wont see in the years ahead, maybe more lols than the conservatives perhaps

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

IIf you've a vpn you can watch it. Just switch your country to USA.

Juust watched it there and it worked for me via vpn. I'm uk based too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No reason for the UK to be a sh1tshow. With competent, thought-out, the government can and should be a leading country in the world.

The Tory party, particularly since 2016, have been a complete and utter mess. Brexit, and the massive sh1tshow that followed the ref, took all the focus away from actually running the country and was entirely focused on internal Tory infighting.

What the UK needs now is a period of stable, boring, but competent administration. Get stuff back working. The UK has massive advantages over so many countries. Not least the sheer power of the City of London, but also there service industry and their place at the top table of the G7 etc.

Stop the soap opera nature that UK politics has been for nearly 10 years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

So, Michael Gove has turned the personal attacks up a notch on Starmer tonight and the Tory party have also wheeled out Boris Johnson as well to go and do pretty much the same thing as they continue one of the most negative campaigns I can remember and I would imagine that it will only get more negative over the next 24 hours.

Just the usual kind of stuff you can expect from Boris as always (from Sky News Blog)

We are here because we love our country," he says.

If these polls are right then at the very moment this country has beaten COVID and at the very moment we should be encouraging enterprise and growth - Westminster is about to go diametrically in the opposite direction.

Mr Johnson says Labour will "destroy so much of what we have achieved".

He adds "it will be the height of insanity if these polls are right".

"Labour are so cocky and complacent, they are barely concealing their agenda anymore," he says. 

"Whacking up taxes on pensions and property and persecuting private enterprise and attacking private education and private healthcare.

"All the while Starmer is so terrified of disappointing left-wing dogma he is reluctant to explain the difference between a man and a woman and sits there with his mouth opening and shutting like a stunned mullet."

Gove meanwhile is spewing a complete load of crap about how Rishi and the Tory party have morals at their heart and how Schools in the UK are the best in the world (nobody who works in schools will agree with that, with buildings falling down, and the dunce maths plan that is unworkable due to a shortage of teachers), Labour made the country bankrupt last time, what has Kier Starmer ever done for us, We got Brexit done, we had best vaccines unlike Labour who are apparently spineless.

However there is evidence that some of the recent Tory tactics over the past few days are starting to cut though with the older generation turn late on and there is certainly some evidence that Tory tactics are starting to win back some floating voters over the past few days and that is reflected in the last few polls which are showing a narrowing lead with most of the uplift to the Tory party coming from the older age groups. I don't think the younger age groups are falling for their crap, but they are with the older, it'll be too little too late but still nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,594 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Interesting reading....I personally think the Tories will likely scrape more than that. Reform getting an absolute tonne of coverage but very little break through based on the below (hopefully).

It could very easily just be 1 seat for reform if we are taking Clacton a cert for dickhead

• Advertisement
Advertisement