Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2024 Edition!)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm going to try and beat some more DQ and SMT games this year but Ive built up a bit too much in my currently playing queue that I need to get rid of first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What DQs you got in your backlog?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All of them really. I've only finished 1, 2, 8 and 9 so DQ 4, 5, 11 and probably one of the gameboy monster games are on my list to play.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

I'd love to still have 11 to play fresh, absolute darling of a game.

I might try and beat that one this year but I want to start SMTV first! I played a little of it and really enjoyed what I played by held off for the S release and never got around to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Metroid Prime Remastered -Switch
    2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    5. Killer Frequency- Steam Deck
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch
    7. Pentiment- Steam Deck
    8. Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth - PS5
    9. Tunic- Xbox Series X
    10. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown -PS5
    11. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3ds XL

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Not bad apart from the 3ds screens especially the top one after being so used to the oled switch, steam deck and even my phone the screens suffer.

A good entry into the FE and the mechanic of people getting married etc was novel.

Heard the next echoes is even better.

Also playing dragons dogma 2 highly enjoying it and in-between that went back to Zelda TOTK finished the wind shrine and dropped it so think I will try get it done. Its very enjoyable but all be it a lot of brain power needed to get the most out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

1. Kingdom Hearts 1(the best KH game so far) [PS2]

2. Kingdom Hearts 2 (the worst of the three, I still enjoyed the story but I felt that the world's were lackluster, as if they were less expansive) [PS2]

3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Some great mechanics and what a teaser trailer!) [PSP]

4. Persona 1(long games but a unique premise) [PSP]

5. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (More Refined then the first, really annoyed that the second part does not have an official translation) [PSP]

6. Parasite Eve 1 (I see why it is such a cult classic, story is fun and some challenging aspects) [PS1]

7. Silent Hill 1(Where it all began, you can see the foundation of what was perfected in 2) [PS1]

8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (FINALLY completed with 85 hours played, I actually had to watch a playthrough as my game got corrupted right at the last boss) [3DS]

So, I really enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles, very long game especially since I was trying to complete all the side quests. I enjoyed the battling systems, and the story I thought was very good. I was not expecting the twists at the end, but I thought It was a good metaphor and idea. I would recommend the game but I can only imagine the Nintendo Switch version may have better quality-of-life changes to the game. There is definitely some aspects of the story and gameplay that I would change, but overall happy with it. I would say that the game was a little long, but never really felt grindy, though I am not one to try and 100% the game.
    There is a new game plus, but outside of transferring over levels and items, nothing new so I won't be playing it.

I have Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption and Shadow of Memories to complete now.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Luna84

I have Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption and Shadow of Memories to complete now.

Jaysus I hope you have a lot of free time as the ones listed I played have many hours to complete.

I still think Xenoblade got one of the most realistic depictions on a relationship. I was following monolith soft for a long while and was very wary of Xenoblade as they mostly made overwrought sci fi schlock which had great ideas and no substance but Xenoblade really surprised me. It had those sci fi trappings but they were sidelined to tell a very human story and nothing in that game as hard as the love triangle. Honestly was blown away by it. It had everything, love loss, unrequited love the fact that sometimes you aren't brave enough to make that first move and some one else comes along and most of all most love stories aren't like in the movies and don't have a happy ending. But also they aren't the end of the world, you grow from them and learn. The love story really does coalesce until a long time into the game which is whY it isn't talked about as much as schlock like the last of us but it's honestly the most relatable and himan love story in any game since silent hill 2.

I'm actually nearly done both Zelda games as I was playing them concurrently with Xenoblade. I'm about 75% done Red Dead (I'm in Mexico so maybe even closer?)

I've completed Shadow of Memories a few times over the years. I love the Sci-Fi Time travel exploration stories.

• Advertisement

You were able to describe and summarise so much depth and essence of the game without giving away plot which is a true skill!

Funnily enough, the love subplot is one of the things I would change. I don't want to give too much away, and I'm aware given how the story unfolds at the end, but sometimes love is not enough. Though the love story as it develops was lovely to see.

1. Kingdom Hearts 1(the best KH game so far) [PS2]

2. Kingdom Hearts 2 (the worst of the three, I still enjoyed the story but I felt that the world's were lackluster, as if they were less expansive) [PS2]

3. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (Some great mechanics and what a teaser trailer!) [PSP]

4. Persona 1(long games but a unique premise) [PSP]

5. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (More Refined then the first, really annoyed that the second part does not have an official translation) [PSP]

6. Parasite Eve 1 (I see why it is such a cult classic, story is fun and some challenging aspects) [PS1]

7. Silent Hill 1(Where it all began, you can see the foundation of what was perfected in 2) [PS1]

8. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (FINALLY completed with 85 hours played, I actually had to watch a playthrough as my game got corrupted right at the last boss) [3DS]

9. Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (A classic, defined a genre. Pivotal game) [3DS]

So, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, what can be said that hasn't been said before. One comment I'll make is that I have been playing this game concurrently with Breath of the Wild so I have been able to compare the evolution of the series together. Obviously the gameplay and mechanics have changed drastically, but you can still see the essence throughout. It's truly amazing what they can do with plot when the core story fundamentally remains the same. I suppose that is a testament to the timelessness of the narrative, Good vs Evil, courage, overcoming obstacles, save the day, be oblivious to getting all the girls.

Is Ocarina of Time better than Breath of the Wild? I think they are both as pivotal as each other, obviously Breath is modern and introduces some truly great mechanics and World Building. What I will say is, I would play Ocarina again, but will probably not touch Breath after I complete it.

Left of the current plays to complete are Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Red Dead Redemption and Shadow of Memories.

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]
    6. The Gunk [Xbox]
    7. Grounded: Fully Yoked [Xbox]
    8. Fe [Xbox]

Fe

Good game but you get stuck for a few mins or seconds which ever one when you enter a new area as the game doesn't tell you what to do but it's easy enough. Bit of stealth at times and then gliding and climbing. Mind you for a platformer game the controls are twitchy at times. I fell a few times due to twitchy controls and had to climb again which was a bit annoying.

Overall a decent game and I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Final Fantasy VII ('97) || PS5

Finally, after 14 years of putting it off, I beat FF7.

In 2010 I played it for the first time, and I played it all wrong. Underleveled into oblivion, spent the better part of two or three hours trying to beat the final boss only to fail constantly. I gave up, but not completely. Over the past decade I would start the game from scratch and only get so far before putting it down.

Started it from scratch again last month. And this time the final boss took me 5-10 mins. Aptly leveled, all the right items and magic spells equipped.

I did it right this time. Very proud of this one.

Games Beaten 2024

1. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
    2. The House of the Dead Remake (Switch)
    3. Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)
    4. Dragon Quest V (DS)
    5. Paratopic (Switch)
    6. Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
    7. Metal Slug XX (PS4)
    8. Binding of Isaac: Repentance (Switch)
    9. King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
    10. Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition (Steam)
    11. We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie (Switch)
    12. Bravely Default 2 (Switch)
    13. Pokemon Crystal Legacy (GBC)
    14. Pokemon Yellow Legacy (GB)
    15. Pokemon Green, Transl Hack (GB)
    16. Dragon Quest IV (DS)
    17. Disney Illusion Island (Switch)
    18. Pokemon White Version 2 (DS)
    19. Time Crisis: Razing Storm (PS3)
    20. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD (Switch)

My tastes appear to be either utterly glacial or breakneck and twitchy and apparently nothing in between.

1. Megaman V (GB)
    2. Liberation Maiden (3DS)
    3. The Starship Damrey (3DS)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    7. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)
    8. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
    9. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PC)
    10. Princess Maker Refine (PC)
    11. Metal Slug 1st Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    12. Metroid Prime Remaster (Switch)
    13. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (PC)
    15. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    16. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    17. Yeah! You Want "Those Games," Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them! (PC)
    18. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PC)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)
    20. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC)
    21. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS)
    22. Contra 4 (DS)
    23. Metal Slug: 2nd Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    24. Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (PC)

Metal Slug: 2nd Mission

This is the kind of game that makes you feel sorry for the poor Neo Geo Pocket Colour. It didn't find the audience it deserved despite the high quality of the software on the system.

While I really enjoyed the first NGPC Metal Slug, 2nd Mission takes that framework and just refines it until it's near perfect. The sound effects and music are better. The animation, spritework and background art is incredible. There's about twice as many stages with more bosses and two (three if you count the unlockable one) playable characters each with their own weapons, unique stages and routes through the game.

The game is a wonderful, almost Nintendo-esque dilution of the Metal Slug arcade game into a portable handheld game. There's a huge amount of variety in stages and there's loads of replay value with hidden routes and stages to find. It's one of the all time great handheld games.

Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree

Not a whole lot to say. It's more Elden Ring. The smaller area and play time actually suits the game, it's more in line with a Dark Souls game and I never felt like the game was dragging like Elden Ring did in the back half. The quality has been kept high throughout the whole DLC. I did however find it a bit of a cake walk once I found my groove again. No boss posed much of a challenge, and a lot of the challenge came from enemies and obstacles in the field.

On the other hand there's the final boss who is a massive difficulty spike. There's ways to respec or try a different weapon to help but his second phase is just a little bit insane and definitely the toughest boss From have made yet. I can see why there is such a negativity around this boss.

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]
    6. The Gunk [Xbox]
    8. Fe [Xbox]
    9. Figment: Journey into the Mind [Xbox]

Figment

Great game, better than I thought it would be. One tricky spot and you have to go through it three times due to collecting two items and brought back to the beginning of tricky part.

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]
    6. The Gunk [Xbox]
    8. Fe [Xbox]
    10. Open Roads [Xbox]

Open Roads

Decent short game with a nice story. I actually started it after finishing that game above. Took my time with it too. I don't know the genre of the game but it was like the game Gone Home. As in you walk around and pick things up exactly like that game.

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]
    6. The Gunk [Xbox]
    8. Fe [Xbox]
    10. Open Roads [Xbox]
    11. Still Wakes The Deep [Xbox]

Still wakes the Deep

Great game, not too long but a decent length. Don't want to say more in case I ruin it on someone.

Game: Limbo

Platform: Nintendo Switch

Started it last night and just beat it this morning as I make my way to Dublin to fly back. Gonna jump onto Inside now.

• Advertisement

Inside is such a better game than Limbo. It's so good

1. Megaman V (GB)
    2. Liberation Maiden (3DS)
    3. The Starship Damrey (3DS)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    7. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)
    8. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
    9. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PC)
    10. Princess Maker Refine (PC)
    11. Metal Slug 1st Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    12. Metroid Prime Remaster (Switch)
    13. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (PC)
    15. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    16. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    17. Yeah! You Want "Those Games," Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them! (PC)
    18. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PC)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)
    20. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC)
    21. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS)
    22. Contra 4 (DS)
    23. Metal Slug: 2nd Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    24. Elden Ring: Shadow of the Erdtree (PC)
    25. Ys: Memories of Celceta (PC)

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Falcom are the king's of action RPGs, nobody does them better and Memories of Celceta further solidifies this position. However, despite this being a fantastic game in its own right, of the Ys series I've played, this is one of the weaker ones.

Memories of Celceta is a remake/reimagining of Ys 4 which has its own weird history. Demand for a fourth Ys game was huge but Falcon couldn't support the development of a new entry at the time. A they drafted a rough outline of the story and drafted two companies to make Ys 4, one for the PC Engine CD and another for the SNES. Both are excellent but also very different games. With Memories of Celceta, Falcom have made another Ys 4 that's very different from the other 2 but at least this time we have a true canon entry.

The story starts off in the most generic jrpg way with the protagonist Adol waking up in a town with no memories of the last few days. It seems he was exploring the vast forest of Celceta for those days but has no memory of them. He sets out on an adventure with a stranger named Duran to map the forests of Celceta for the new governor and discovers some dark secrets about the forests past.

Celceta takes the combat system of Ys Seven where you have three characters with different affinities and move sets that you can switch between at will. You can attack dodge and block but can also activate abilities by holding the L shoulder button and pressing one of the face buttons to activate the set attack. While this mostly works well it can lead you to accidentally entering the menu or, even worse, activating you special attack that takes a long time to build up.

Defense is also important with dodging and blocking being vital to surviving most boss encounters. The dodge window is quite small so blocking tends to be a better option in most cases. A tell timed dodge will slow the game down for a small period while a well times block will make every attack a critical hit for a short time.

Taken on its own Celceta is a damn fine action rpg that manages to be faster than the majority of action games. I just can't help compare it to the better games in the series like Oath in Felghana. The combat and bosses are just better in Oath as well as having the better story which falls a bit flat here with the stakes never really feeling that high.

Celceta isn't the best looking game. It was meant to be a PSP game before being moved to the vita. For a PSP game it would look amazing and be one of the best looking games on the system, but as a vita game it falls short and looks even. More archaic on the PC. And while technically it's no masterpiece, the world of Celceta is a colourful and vibrant one which makes up for these shortcomings. As usual, Falcom are on point with another great soundtrack.

Overall, it's a great action rpg but there's better games in the US series to start with.

Game: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Platform: PC

Couldn't help but compare it to What Remains of Edith Finch, which I absolutely did not enjoy.

This, however, was much better. Heart-breaking story throughout, but the visuals were stunning. One of the better walking sims I've played.

Wow, I thought What Remains of Edith Finch to be very good.

Advertisement