Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,370 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Another person to whom various material facts are explained and instead of considering them, retreats into tired tropes

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Skyfloater

I don't get this idea that 5 months is not long enough for a new candidate to get over the line. It's a modern media age and the days of candidates waving at people from the back of a train are long gone. There's plenty of time to get their name out there, especially with the turbo boost of being Biden's replacement. The double haters and moderate democrat voters are only hanging for an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am a pro-Joe myself and would go for an old guy who needs a moment to think over someone Bonhoeffer warned the world about in 1941.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

America doesn't count long term unemployed as part of its unemployment figure I thought.

Anyways, there are countless articles about how bad it so find a job now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/16/finding-a-job-is-getting-harder-even-in-a-strong-labor-market-heres-why.html

People still debate politics as if it's a rational thing. People vote based on what is happening, and what's happening is a generation who can't buy a home, just like in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's a choice between running Biden and losing for sure or else someone like Newsom who at least has a bit of relative youth.

Do people not realise what's at stake, here? If America goes as far as Trump and his backers want it to go down the rabbit hole of 'post-constitutionalism', one of the great pillars that holds up western liberal democracy collapses before our eyes, greatly weakening the ability of former allies to assert themselves on the world stage and giving great encouragement to similar actors in said countries.

Trump is a man who proudly posted a picture of himself scowling down a mugshot camera and later posting a word cloud about himself which featured, 'REVENGE' at the centre. He has an organised team behind him, using the ideas of the Heritage Foundation and Project 2025 as a basis of what is to be done in a second term, with a supreme court increasingly on his side and a plan to concentrate as much power in the office of president as possible.

Michael Whatley, RNC co-chair also had this to say about the election,

Whatley, who embraced the former president's baseless claims of widespread voter fraud, said that the RNC "will be focused like a laser on getting out the vote and protecting the ballot," saying that they "hired election integrity directors in battleground states." Those individuals, he said, are "already recruiting and training tens of thousands of volunteers to serve as poll judges workers and observers who will act as real-time monitors whenever votes are being cast and counted."

So, they'll be putting their thumb on the scale in places they can get away with it as well.

If Trump wins, there shouldn't be any hand wringing the day after, because apparently everybody is going into this eyes wide open, plotting a course directly for the iceberg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't remotely think politics is rational and I'm not arguing that people feel things are bad. I would never be a good politician for this reason, but I am still happy to point out that these people are objectively wrong. Half the crap on twitter complaining about cost of living is people moaning about doordashing a coffee and croissant in the morning and it being too expensive. It is not remotely normal to be able to do that cheaply.

The job market might look solid on paper — unemployment is low, job openings are high — but the reality for many Americans on the job hunt tells a different story. 

LinkedIn feeds are crowded with layoff announcements. Mentions of recruiters ghosting job applicants have more than doubled on Glassdoor since before the Covid-19 pandemic. 

This is basically "every stat we have says the jobs market is good but there is some anecdotes complaining about it". It is not reasonable reporting. It's also incredibly tech focused as if other jobs don't exist.

I won't argue on the housing issue as I'm in full agreement there. It's not a remotely new phenomenon though, it's been a slowly building catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

speaking of timing when did this issue of vogue come out?

Tedious indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Speaking from personal experience, a lot of people are pinched. Everything is significantly more expensive, buying a house is a pretty brutal affair compared to just a few years ago even. You certainly make valid points about perception vs reality, but at the end of the day, perception is going to count more for people. Government has done **** all to combat price gouging, the only thing I've seen recently is the DOJ taking up a case against the company that sells real estate management software that allows price fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The Democrats need someone who will hammer Trump and the Project 2025 **** relentlessly. Biden missed so many open goals in that debate. You really wonder about the DNC, not being aggressive enough here. They should be flooding the airwaves with excerpts from the manifesto and clips of the various ghouls outlaying their plans. With the SCOTUS decision yesterday, Biden should be making Judical reform one of his central platform pieces.

idk every day I read a headline that Biden’s DOL has secured stolen wages to the times of hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars for individual cases/businesses. And the DOJ has conducted I believe multiple raids of landlord corps suspected of engaging in price fixing.

It’s not doing nothing, far from it, it’s just not shouting it from the rooftops to give criminals a chance to burn their evidence.

• Advertisement

Housing is horrendous, you won't hear me argue otherwise. And yes, I agree perception counts more, and I do not claim to know the best way to fight perception. People are not used to high inflation and, clearly, are more concentrated on rising prices than rising wages. I do think it is important to highlight actual statistics though. It's the same as when people are complaining about crime rates when crime is down - people are utterly terrible at judging these things personally for themselves.

Something like 70% of Americans report living paycheck to paycheck. Like, I'm sorry, but a vast majority of those people are absolutely full of it.

This I think is why I would fire his debate advisers, personally. Not one single mention of Project 2025? Such a critical error. Don’t have time to waste with raising that issue front and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its never been denied. The bombs the US provide with Biden's approval have killed 17,000 children with an average age of 5 years.

He is supplying WMD's to Israel. 35,000 innocents dead are proof enough.

it’s been denied. Prove he is “as guilty as Bibi”

It’s a really lazy argument, that seems to try and water down Bibi’s own criminal culpability - But begin your mock trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭briany

I agree, but the problem is that the zone has been flooded, to borrow a phrase. I don't know if the message about Project 2025 would break through to enough Americans. It should still be shouted about from the rooftops, if only because of the principle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Denial from you again. Who do you think supplies the bombs and weapons used to kill the Gazan kids?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-officials-say-thousands-of-2000-pound-bombs-shipped-to-israel-since-oct-7/

• Advertisement

A combination of sources, including domestic production.

I don't care for Biden's response, but it's basically the default US position.

the US congress?

Who actually drops them?

Does the weapon supplier and the weapon user have the same criminal culpability? That’s what you’ve argued (poorly). In effect you are providing enablement for Netanyahu by saying he is what, a victim here because weapons are supplied by his allies? No he chose to use them, and where and how - against very explicit appeals to do otherwise by counterparts at the Pentagon and elsewhere. Yet you continue to provide cover to Bibi by shifting his blame to Biden etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You made a very cynical claim. You've nothing to back it up with. Now, you're moving the goalposts.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭StoutPost

Wrong thread.

Post edited by StoutPost at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I'd ideally like to first see polls before I comment but here goes.

It's my belief Biden will and should be the Democratic candidate in November. The US economy is doing relatively well. The Biden administration has handled things well generally from my perspective - Afghanistan withdrawal and the slow crawl Ukraine support aside. He is the incumbent and has already beaten trump. Has the administration properly supported Ukraine, what would be perceived as a war winning President would be in a good position today.

I did not watch the debate as I don't believe there was anything to gain debating a criminal and serial liar, plainly put I would have been against debating trump as it platformed further his tsunami of lies.

What has dismayed me is President Biden has a bad first ten minutes of a debate and some of his so-called supporters, more interested in their own ego's I would suggest, are ready to throw him overboard. I have been (un)fortunate enough to go up against powerful vested interested with a committed group of like minded people. You commit, you work hard, you sacrifice, you put your ego aside to support your groups success. If you must piss on your own guys shoes, and imo you shouldn't, it's best done in private.

The difference is, the other guys side lacks morals. Power and control at any cost is their prize. It should not be handed to them so easily.

I genuinely fear the place the world is headed to should trump be victorious in November. Today's problems will pale in comparison.

Did you watch the debate in the meantime?

No, nor do I intend to. I have read enough about it. The debate is missing the point. The point is protecting American Democracy. If that fails the world is in trouble. Focusing on the debate is the same thinking that got us to where we are "I'm voting for Bernie or AN Other" in 2016. I have no interest in the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The point is protecting American Democracy. If that fails the world is in trouble.

Indeed.

Watch the debate, we're already in a bit of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If you're saying should Biden win "we're in trouble" I entirely disagree.

• Advertisement

What was cynical about stating that Biden was supplying the bombs used to murder children and other innocents in Gaza?

Advertisement