Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stadium Gigs?

Options
  • 02-07-2024 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

More a kind of a musing than anything but this year was the first time I have ever bought seated tickets to gigs, indoor in the 3 Arena and outdoor at the RDS. I'd honestly say I didn't really enjoy the restrained experience in both and won't be doing it again.

But are mostly seated gigs by and large what most people seem to want? Is it purely a capacity/large available venue thing or a genuine preference among people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I had seating ticket for The Killers couple of weeks ago. Got a cheap one on the evening of the gig. It was in 3Arena. Never again. I always get standing because enjoy the freedom of being able to meander around for a pint, plss and cigarettes. The gig seemed good, but the seating area was so dull. I didn't realise the seats in the 3Arena were so cramped. If someone wanted to go in and out, everyone on the row had to stand up. I know it's not to everyones agenda, but I would have liked to go for a pint and a fag during the songs that I had no interest in - I am obviously not a big Killers fan. But I was reluctant to do it too many times as it would have annoyed people. I waited until the guy close to me got up, and followed him and piggybacked of his journey. I let him get the disgusted looks and the tut tuts first.

Anyway will be avoiding seating as much as I can. Unless it's last resort and I cannot get a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 onefish

For a gig like The Killers, I would have thought everyone in the seats, would be standing all the way through the set anyway. Well, those that were able to anyway. Sounds as if that wasn't the case. Even at Taylor Swift, pretty much everyone was standing .

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

I had seats for both Rammstein & Weezer/Smashing Pumpkins and you would think that too but no, almost everybody sat for the entire shows.

Even saw on some threads on here people complaining about others standing in the seated section etc. Just a **** place to be tbh.

Like I would kinda get it if you're going to see some virtuoso spinning solos all evening or a concert pianist etc but I'll never buy a seated ticket again.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Everyone stood for the friday night show

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely hate sitting at gigs. Feels like you're just sitting there in the bold corner watching everyone having fun below.

Might as well be watching it on the TV sitting on my couch.

Standing all the way. When I can no longer stand at concerts I'll stop going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Count Hairyfoot

I will always stand if it's my choice BUT if you have a seated ticket then sit your ass down.

You want to dance? Tough luck you should've bought a standing ticket. There are people who choose to sit and there are people who have to sit and no-one has the right to mess with their enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have a seated ticket for a metal concert at London O2 Arena as there was no standing left. I picked the highest row possible for the novelty of it. I may end up preferring the seated area because I usually have a bad view in standing due to being 5'6.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

But it is difficult to move around when the crowd fills up in standing. The best option for toilet/bar is if you buy a seat on the aisle although maybe some venues don't let you choose specific seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Its standing or nothing for me. I like been able to move around and go for a piss without annoying people. In fairness a gig for us now is an a rare opportunity to get out with the mates so it's a few pints and with that comes pissing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Then you've everyone else having to pass you in the aisle seat so they can have a piss and get drinks. No thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

And some charge an extra tenner for aisle seats and make you buy them in pairs (ie: you can't buy the 2nd seat in unless you buy the outside one).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jazz_jazz

I always go for standing tickets, I love being able to dance & jump around but being 5"4 works against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

First stadium gig I was at that I can recall for me was Oasis in Landsdowne Rd in 2000 I think. The concert was blighted by sound problems and was a real let down. Not helped by the fact that it was very windy and the fact that Landsdowne then was open terraced at both ends in those days.

Second was the Stones in Croker. Was in a corporate box but whilst the comfort and convenience was great good enough view, sound was much better and I enjoyed it, I just rather enjoy seeing live bands in theatres and clubs….where you are not so completely detached….

Olympia, Vicar St, Ambassador, …a brilliant venue in Paris called the Bataclan, Shepherds Bush Empire, all provided gig experiences x100000 compared to gigs in stadiums I’ve been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I always stand as close as I can to the stage. The atmosphere is 1000% better than sitting. Also I can see things a lot better. 😁 Also, the sound is way better if you are centre ish. Also, I stand behind people who are shorter than me if I can. The Weezer/Smashing pumpkins gig was absolutely amazing this way, especially since they had no screens.

Advertisement