Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How useful is the battery warranty, really?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In fact what's happening is people like you driving the agenda that we we need massive range and no stopping for charging. Hence battery swapping.

So cause and effect we are getting 2 tonne vehicles with massive batteries that people will use the max range maybe 5% of the time. Most EV owner do very little public charging and very little non stop journeys.

You could go out and get a short range EV (used) for a fraction of the cost of a new long range EV and it will be perfect for 95% of people's use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Maybe it's a vision for alkaline batteries that are single use. Duracell powered EVs ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

You miss the bit where a 2014 era battery pack achieved almost half a million km?

The 13 motors are all down to Tesla. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come now, if you were asked to design a new multi purpose transport vehicle that will use roads and be powered by batteries - what system would you come up with? Considering all the issues and situations that people live in and will use these vehicles for.

There are so many things to trip up the potential purchaser of an EV with the current implementations. Making them awkward to use on some journeys, making them impossible/ very difficult to own/ charge for others. And issues like loss of second hand value, defective cells and so on.

You'd almost certainly devise some sort of standardised battery swap system both at vehicle level and at forecourt level. Because that would neatly solve/ sidestep many of the issues.

We don't have this of course as manufacturers were allowed/ facilitated to go at it on an ad hoc basis. Devising their own designs to suit the models they want to design & sell.

About the only advantage of the current system as far as I can see is the ability (for some) to home charge at night at cheaper rates and/or to take advantage from solar panels on their properties etc. But that's far, far from the size of the market that the government has aspirations for to take up EVs. One suspects that if you live in the 'leafy suburbs' with capacity for night rate charging and a few subsidised solar panels on one's roof, then the current system is fine & dandy. But that's not a fit at all for the general populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Flubber is the only material that will work for that posters scenario of no C rate.

Added benefits 1. not needing regular changes due to massive range 2. Ability to make regular car a flying car.

• Advertisement

I'm still chuckling at this notion. If somebody told me this was the way my battery was to be recharged on the road, I'd be buying another diesel car. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Perhaps then, you are one of the lucky cohort that lives in the 'leafy suburbs' with capacity for night rate charging and a few subsidised solar panels?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Reached out to Mercedes and they replied that a dead cell in my EQE HV battery would be covered under warranty up to 10 years or 250,000 Km provided it has a full Mercedes maintenance history

More like the cohort with a functioning cerebral cortex. 👍️

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Given I've lots of experience with running EVs without home charging I think I'm in a good position to state that I'd rather have a battery that charges fast than I would one that is swappable and comes with a subscription fee. As a car owner I want to own the major components of the car that should last the lifetime of the vehicle, with the current LFP battery chemistries that includes the battery pack. 3,000 cycles are enough that a car will likely reach end-of-life before its battery does.

That leaves your swapping solution purely as a mechanical failure function which is as far as I'm concerned worthless. The maintenance problem should be addressed by serviceability regulations not by some over engineered solution that's used to switch a pack every 10 years.

I think you're in danger of designing a solution for OP's problem that is no longer relevant for modern battery pack sizes or chemistries. Batteries were consumables when they lasted 100,000km, not so much when they should last more than 500,000km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LubaDriver

There are other comments here on VW but my parents have just put their ID4 in to the garage for a battery error (thanks to advice in this forum I was able to find a garage for them to do the diagnostic much sooner). The car is outside of general warranty but within the battery warranty and a module will need to be replaced. It will be covered along with a courtesy car. Parts will take 2 weeks to come in from Germany.

I understand a repair such as this costs about €3k all in outside of warranty. €1k for parts and €2k for tech time as it takes at least a day and a half. My own ID is fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Cool, now you have to talk about battery swaps for the next day or two 😉😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We basically saw that scenario play out, a bunch of manufacturers and startups started designing EVs from scratch

They all had different ways to tackle charging, ranging from high powered DC, to fast AC, to battery swaps

Eventually they all settled on DC charging as the solution to long range driving

Much like hyperloops, if everyone who tried it has abandoned the idea, then it's probably a crap idea

Battery swaps sound great in theory, but then you dive into the details like how do you move a 400kg battery pack autonomously, how do you ensure there's a supply of packs available for swapping without insanely overspending on batteries, how do you ensure they're charged and ready, how do you deal with degradation, etc.

After that, you begin to realise that a simple solution is not necessarily an easy solution 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement