Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

that’s one way of looking at it. The earlier Labour Court recommendation was for a 9%+ interim settlement and the independent pilot pay tribunal recommended 12.25%. EI said it would pay the 12.25% and was willing to consider more with changes in Ts&Cs. The pilots said 25% or nothing. From a negotiation perspective, IALPA has undermined its position by unilaterally offering a reduction as it is not principles-based such that it undermines the position it has taken before now. Forsa had accepted the 12.25% or thereabouts for the cabin crew, they’ll look stupid if they support the pilots getting 25%. All in all, it’s hard to see this going anywhere without some level of work practice changes - it’s the only way to get to “yes” for all parties. The pilots can get closer to their demand, IAG can say they got something want and Forsa can say that the additional money is for the work practice changes.

A simple split it down the middle and nothing else deal won’t be suitable for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 fandozzle

Yep. 15-18% and work practice changes is probably where a settlement ends up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As someone who is due to fly in a couple of weeks I'd disagree totally with you around the impact the pilots actions have had. While there's only been an 8 hour strike, the work to rule has seen numerous flights cancelled daily - See here for info: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/disrupted-flights/ialpa-industrial-action/#/tab-0-options-for-customers-with-cancelled-flights

That disruption, which is very real for those that were due to take those flights, as well as the ongoing uncertainty about the continuance of the action have led to reduced bookings and general reputational damage (which will ease with time)

As for what "side" I am on, probably the pilots, despite their actions causing plenty concern in my sphere. The very fact that the WTR has caused the cancellation of as many flights as it has, would say to me that the airline have been reliant on "goodwill" to achieve its' significant profits over the past couple of years and the complete double standards of senior management inhancing their income over the past two years to the level it has gotten to is yet again another statistic as to why the gap between the low paid and the highest paid continues to increase (I appreciate the pilots aren't low paid).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭knobtasticus

I think most everyone would be hoping for something along these lines but there’s certainly zero appetite among EI’s pilot body for more WC changes. Management achieved significant and long-lasting structural changes to pay and conditions during Covid. The pay demand is seeking the reversal of those changes - any pay deal that includes more WC changes won’t even be put to the pilots for a vote.

I’d like to think the LC will take a very dim view of management refusing to move from their position and now, at the 11th hour, demanding more structural changes over and above their last presentation to the LC.

Stories coming out now of pilot families away on holidays having their return tickets cancelled by management, threatening legal letters being sent to people, rosters being marked with ‘Failed to show’ (or something to that effect!) when the WTR prohibits a pilot from operating a particular duty (‘Failed to show’ (?) is a formal disciplinary term and can lead to dismissal), pilots being abandoned in the US and told to either operate a flight home (and therefore breach their WTR) or ‘stay there indefinitely’…

Management have gone rogue. It’s a union bust. Plain and simple. A union bust won’t be tolerated by the other unions in the group. Things could get interesting if BALPA and SEPLA fire up their industrial processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Realistically, what do you envisage BALPA and SEPLA doing, beyond expressing support at a general level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

No major issue with family tickets being cancelled. Pretty standard during industrial action and passengers should have priority for limited capacity available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very pugnacious post if I may say so.

You get these comments regularly and one would have to say did the pilots on holidays not know

a. that there was a serious dispute in the offing

b. who the regs regarding tickets were in these situations.

Those of the pilot workforce going on holidays on 'concession' tickets should have been aware of problems arising.

A little bit of restraint in these posts would be great, common sense and a lowering of the rhetoric dial is the answer.

A little movement from both sides is needed, a little give from the pilots on minor 'productivity' a little give from management on the 12.5% ..cuts out the relativity issues and counter claims from other unions.

Settle down a bit lads….

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I would contend that IALPA knew that withdrawal of concession travel was going to happen once the WTR commences. Standard practise.

The "failed to show" is probably intended to scare the individual pilots. But that "FTS" will be removed post investigation/IR situation.

The US situation is probably based on an old issue around returning home as planned in a disrupted operational situation. It's an old setup. EI prob telling them to make their own way home if they want to, when previously the company booked them on an EI flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭bikeman1

For clarity I was referring to the previous poster and the hit on the pockets of the pilots.

No doubt plenty of flights have been cancelled and disruption caused to the flying public.

A full 24 hour strike or longer would really mess things up and take a very long time to sort out and cost millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd say its costing them millions as things stand.

As a matter of interest, for those people here that have had a cancelled flight, were AL able to get you another flight in and around the same time or was a refund the only option? (I see they have three refundish options on their site however a refund wont suit me unfortuantely)

• Advertisement
Advertisement