Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Looks good on the next fund raising email. Keeps the profile at a national level.

Ultimately a nothing burger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A nothing burger now, but a good platform for Democrats to run on in Nov. Congress needs to reign in the courts. Roberts has made the greatest power grab in the nations history.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

except it wasn’t a gunless coup despite what you claim with what appear to be personal delusions. There is proof positive evidence there were guns involved in the coup attempt.

another deliberately bad faith attempt to downplay the coup attempt: the person with the nuclear codes was the coordinator of the coup, not the target of it. Very clear that you know this but are attempting this poor gaslighting effort anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Good morning US politics readers. Joe Biden’s reelection team held difficult phone calls on Sunday and Monday with top campaign funders in an attempt to reassure them that the 81-year-old president should stay in the race following his car crash debate performance last week.

Besides the arguments about Trump vs. Biden, does anyone else find it utterly surreal how normalised it is that campaign donors and their opinions are so front and center in how the Democrats should proceed? Like it's not even hidden away.

With an economy the size of America's, why are donors so important? After the debate, this was brought up a lot in how it's the donors and their opinions that matter.

Feels like lobbying, but at the highest level. I find it insane frankly. They're just people with money but are given so much of a voice.

• Advertisement

Hello, politics reader, and welcome to 2024.

Have you heard of Citizens United v. FEC?

Or is this your first US election cycle?

I don't recall much about it. I assume it's lobbyists etc. working to influence government.

Still a bizarre world where donors are just casually mentioned as basically king makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭ronjo

Holy Moly…… have you ever paid attention to politics before???

Yes, and I'm just stating that it's utterly surreal. Like you and Overheal respond and it's like "well obviously", and my off the cuff post is a response to seeing it front and center so often.

The money involved is tiny. But the effect is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's front and centre because they actively need to court, reassure and try to placate donors because their entire election campaign funding depends on them. Small donors from the general population are great but will generally support their party's candidate anyway. Large donors can be few and far between, but their support matters greatly not just to the Presidential candidate but other down-ballot members.

Huge money is required for election campaigns when you consider the staff, offices throughout the country, advertising, TV, campaign rallies etc.

The talk of reassuring big donors is nothing new. It's always been like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

I'd ideally like to first see polls before I comment but here goes.

It's my belief Biden will and should be the Democratic candidate in November. The US economy is doing relatively well. The Biden administration has handled things well generally from my perspective - Afghanistan withdrawal and the slow crawl Ukraine support aside. He is the incumbent and has already beaten trump. Has the administration properly supported Ukraine, what would be perceived as a war winning President would be in a good position today.

I did not watch the debate as I don't believe there was anything to gain debating a criminal and serial liar, plainly put I would have been against debating trump as it platformed further his tsunami of lies.

What has dismayed me is President Biden has a bad first ten minutes of a debate and some of his so-called supporters, more interested in their own ego's I would suggest, are ready to throw him overboard. I have been (un)fortunate enough to go up against powerful vested interested with a committed group of like minded people. You commit, you work hard, you sacrifice, you put your ego aside to support your groups success. If you must piss on your own guys shoes, and imo you shouldn't, it's best done in private.

The difference is, the other guys side lacks morals. Power and control at any cost is their prize. It should not be handed to them so easily.

I genuinely fear the place the world is headed to should trump be victorious in November. Today's problems will pale in comparison.

your post is like a decade behind the political calendar, so I question that Yes.

I mean, Bernie Sanders' entire 2016 campaign, the whole **** thing, was about ending Citizens United, disavowing corrupt lobbyism and megadoners, PAC money, etc. etc. and democratizing as many voters as possible through individual small contributions (nominally, of $27). I mean, the entire conceit of his campaign was that he needed small donations, from millions of people, that agreed with the opinion to end Citizens United, so he could win a campaign against other politicos who were being backed by millionaires and billionaires, and put a progressive majority on the Supreme Court for the first time in two generations. It was very "front and center" as you say.

The only thing surreal to anyone who has actually been paying to politics for the past decade is: we swerved from this timeline ^ into our present one.

(and if you are from the past, please, go back and warn your timeline about what ours did before it's too late)

Argument already being made that Trump's tweets in office are official acts and therefore must be suppressed from any trial as evidence

In essence that a POTUS could conduct any number of overt acts in furtherance of a conspiracy and none of it would be admissible, because it was an overt, 'official' act.

If it stands, any president could go on social media and officially tell their supports to come to washington for a coup - "will be wild!" - and that could not be considered by a court as evidence.

The Supreme Court just poured acid all over the eyes of the judicial branch.

Overheal, I just had a moment of wtf when reading about the donors. It doesn't make me naive or whatever. It is surreal imo.

"Follow the money" is like a key part of debunking everything, but the money is just accepted as part of it in a way that seems absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Quango Unchained

Biden is clearly not fit to be working right now, at any job, whatsoever. Never mind continuing to work for the next four and half years, in the most important job in the world. I'm shocked there isn't a bigger outcry to have him step down right now.

It'll be open season for the world's dictators if Biden gets re-elected. Xi will be licking his chops.

I think a stronger leader would have backed Ukraine to the hilt and pushed Russia out quickly. And also not let Israel run amok to such an extent in Palestine.

Is it more important to support your group's success or is it better to have the moral courage to do the right thing even if it leads to a "wrong" outcome?

I cannot believe that another Democratic candidate wouldn't stand a better chance against Trump. I think it is now unfathomable that Joe Biden could win an election in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StoutPost

The "wrong outcome" is the end of American Democracy. Frankly something that ought to be more pressing than moral courage. Winning is the only goal here. One side understands that.

What led us here are voters who didn't have the "moral courage" to support Clinton over Sanders or AN Other. I don't like Hillary, but it was easy to see she was the only choice, as Biden has and continues to be the only choice.

The hysterical post debate reaction is a distraction to the success of the goal.

I also think Biden doesn't project the level of power internationally that his position expects.

It's hard to imagine him getting riled up and actually taking a firm stance about anything beyond Trump, especially after that debate. The meek response to Netenyahu and the latter's complete undermining of him is proof enough. The White House came out and argued that it had gone through weapons shipments line by line and only found one arms deal cancelled.

A stronger president would reign that nonsense in. "No no we are providing the weapons for this thing" is so weak, it's childlike.

I find it hard to believe China, Russia etc. actually respect the guy or expect him to take a firm stance to anything. If I were American, I'd vote any other Democrat, then Trump, and then Biden. And I think people around the world should logically think similar, since we've already had Trump and four quiet years internationally. "America first" is basically always better for other countries.

But logic doesn't come into it. Now it's not Biden's actual performance in the news but the supposed tyranny that would unfold under Trump, as if it's a foregone conclusion that he will even be elected.

Leading America is meant to be the hardest job in the world, unless you Trump in the background, and then what you do doesn't matter. Afghanistan was Trump's fault apparently.

"You're voting for his team, not him himself" being the newest line to justify voting for a guy who can't lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Quango Unchained

"Winning" is what has got the Conservative party in the U.K. to this point. They've abandoned their principals to try and keep Farage and his like at bay - in the process, becoming him.

If the Democrats stay with Biden, they're reckless, cowardly fools.

The dogs in the street now know Biden's not in charge.

Basically what I'm saying is it's hard to imagine Biden going through official or back channels and warning Xi or Putin against what they're doing, or else. It's just impossible in my mind to imagine some projection of power coming from him, internationally at least. It's like he's a passenger along for ride of his own presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Clinton was always a terrible candidate. Her tone deaf campaign, that completely ignored poor white voters, is what cost her the election. She was entirely the architect of her failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

Extremely arrogant campaign. It was as if she thought she couldn't lose, so didn't even need to placate working class voters. Having said that, she would have been better than Trump by some way, in retrospect.

What the Democrat party seem to fail to understand is that you can't always be stumping up for the status quo. They seem content to hold the barbarians at the gates rather than push them back beyond the mountains. What they needed this last four years was for someone with a bit more of a progressive vision and youth to take the country forward instead of sticking with Biden, but they did and now it looks like the country is careening back to another four years of Trump. That's if Trump doesn't manage to get rid of elections and term limits. I don't believe there is any democratic norm he would not happily tear up in order to maintain power for him and his family in perpetuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Must have been a tough auld watch for you Overheal with poor Joe's physical and mental condition laid bare for the American public to see ! I'd say you had a migraine for a few days. Still I do hope Joe stays in the race and look forward to the September debate👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Trump would be mad to go to another debate. Short of actually dying on stage, Biden can only improve on his last performance. I'm in it for the memes at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Trump didn't really have to do much at the debate just let Joe speak and that's all he has to do if there is a second debate in September. Seriously why would Jill Biden put her husband through this it really is elder abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you seems to be hallucinating if you think Trump would get rid of elections, I cant tell if your opinions are meant to be taken seriously or not

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

No need for another debate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There are people who think trump is going to put them in concentration camps and kill them. It's all getting a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it is funny in a way but also sad, this is Democrats making their own side at risk of mental illness, it is fun to watch though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

There are people that haven't read Project 2025 and it shows.

Advertisement