Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭traco

Savage attack with what; about 500m+ from the top of the Galibier? All out the whole way, will have to rewatch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Healy comes in just ahead of Carapaz, 5 minutes down.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

12th Stage for Pog in the Tour. All the talk of Cav and if he gets that elusive win a certain Slovenian might best it a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Like a role reversal of the TT descent last year… shows what kind of a difference you can make going down if all the cards fall the right way for you.

Good to see Rodriguez, Roglic and Remco all hang in there too, for the sake of the three weeks. Should keep things interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Remco better than I thought on the mountain and Vingo worse than I thought on the descent. Didn't expect Rodriguez to be that good but I couldn't figure out why anyone was talking about Pidcock when he is on the team.

The shots of Pog slowly pulling away on to of the mountain had a real nostalgic Berti/Schleck look to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The TT will be interesting on Friday. Will it come too early for Vingegaard?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think Remco is riding very maturely. Not trying to dominate as would usually be his want. Just staying as close as he can and if the giro cathces up with Pog and Vingo fades even more then who knows he could snatch it. Probably the best TT'er there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

hopefully Remco rips the TT up. He looked OK today and he’s within touching distance of Pog

Promising signs for Ben Healy. Looked strong and now Carapaz GC is over.

It's beautifully poised! Pog's ability to pull away over the top was surprising… you'd think having done well to limit his losses to a handful of seconds at the top Vingo would have gone all in to close up on the way down. Maybe that's telling… maybe he really is at his limit and could just rely on pure climbing ability. Maybe the power and conditioning isn't there… I'd say Pog will empty himself on Friday and hope to do as much damage as possible. What can Vingo do by way of response? It's been a while since the Tour has had so many sub plots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Well that was a giant, steaming turd of a prediction!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Looks like Healy was fairly comfortable when he crossed the line with Carapaz. Hopefully a sign of better days in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I was going to mention it but I seem to have mellowed 😁

I see Tom Pidcock is already nearly 12 minutes adrift. Strange strategy for a wanna- be GC contender.

Maybe Chris Horner was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 38,161 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's quite possible Vingo improves as the tour goes on. Pog is all in for a big lead in case that happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure what Chris said but I never thought Pidcock was going to be GC this year, I presumed either stage wins for the team and have Carlos in contention in case it all goes to pot for the main guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

The hairpins killed Vingegaard today. He couldn't cope with the constant need to get out of the saddle and accelerate up to top speed. Pogacar distanced him at a hairpin, even though he had created a tiny gap just before that hairpin. I suspect that it was the hairpins on the downhill that did for him as well. His ability to accelerate had disappeared. I think that he has no chance for the Tour now.

Another thing that I found interesting today was the order of the UAE riders. Adam Yates seems to have been relegated to 4th rider. Maybe it's because he got the podium last year and UAE are trying to keep Ayuso and Almeida happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its very possible he's still just very cagey on a descent.

That said, I don't think he can ride himself into fitness by week 3 and not lose plenty of time in doing so.

Remains to be seen though what pog has in the tank by week 3 after the giro too. They could all be gassed by then

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I really wouldn't say no chance, I'd be very slow to right off Vingegaard. I was really impressed by his climbing today, he only had a few seconds of a gap going over the top. I hope pog does it but I think it's far from over yet, if Vingegaard continues to improve his form it'll make for a very interesting third week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Remember Ventoux a few years ago when Jonas put nearly 1min into Pog at the top, but caught up with him on the descent? He's a far better descender.

I actually think his bravery was fine on the descent. If the time gaps were accurate, he held and actually gained on Pogacar for a long time. But the descent was so long, he ran out of gas and coming over the finishing line he looked very tired.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

it was about a km from the top I think. The 2 sprinted for a solid 500m and then Vingegaard just lost the wheel. I couldn’t believe it worked at first

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

agreed. On the technical part of the descent Vingegaard matched Pogacar. It was when it flattened out Pog pulled away. He just had better legs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I certainly would not write him off but UAE are taking a leaf out of TJVs book. They want to punish him so that he can't really ride into form. I hear people saying it is Pogacar getting time in early but I think there is a bigger picture. I really think it is planned, beat him, bit by bit, he will either have to sit in and ride into form over the 3 weeks which is a dangerous manoeuvre as Pogacar will ride his own race if smart, take lots of time without damaging himself or he tries to hold Pogacar and he just keeps twisting the knife, little by little so he simply can't ride in to form. This said, TJV are wonderfully tactical and while not always exciting watching, it could all just be an act and Jonas is better than he is letting on and is letting Pog blow his load before they go for it.

To many variables for my predictions, all of which will be wrong in a week knowing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Thud

Hard to believe it's only day 4. So much better that windy flats stages in Holland to start the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sam finished safely in the main grupetto (ahead of the Cav, Jackobsen, Groenewegen group) but I find it worrying though that no team mates stayed with him. There must be team orders for the rest of the team to work for Gall in the high mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭ottolwinner

Sam was working with the team until half way up the Galibier. He pulled off then and took it handy after his work. Saw him on tv pull left and steady ride from then on. No need for teammates I’d imagine with only the decent to follow there was no fears of elimination for him.

Advertisement