Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 oasis fan

Maybe someone might be able to point me in the right direction if this is not the right thread for it?

For a new build house within a small town where FTTC is available but FTTH is currently not but is currently on the plan to be rolled, what are my best option to be able to be connected to FTTC? Will I have to wait until such time as they roll out FTTH in my area or will they connect me to FTTC until such time as that is ready? At the minute neither of these options are showing under my Eircode.

If in failing I can neither access FTTC or FTTH in the short term, is wirelss broadband really worth getting? Would a wireless internet package through 4g/5g be notably quicker than if I was to just hotspot off my phone?

My download speed test would only be 1-2 mbs when I do a speedtest from my phone so if the wireless internet was not significantly better it would be a complete waste of 5-600 a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Starlink is your best option until you get a fixed line connection. €60 a month including equipment (or buy it and €50 a month) no contract, cancel anytime you like.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭clohamon

Local elections are warming up, and Harry Barrett (Ind - Castlebar LEA) tells the Connaught Telegraph that he can't understand how the NBP works and is promising to do something about it.

Barrett continued, " I cannot understand how the village has been left in this position, unable to tap into high-speed broadband within a few meters of their homes. Good broadband is absolutely essential for homes and businesses and Belcarra's need for this is no different to needs elsewhere

"I will now make the strongest representation possible to the Department to get houses in the village connected so that families in Belcarra have the same connection speeds as those in Castlebar or elsewhere.

"It is beyond me that this issue has been left unresolved for so long."

I suspect he probably knows more than he's saying, but it makes a headline and that's all that matters.

Department's NBP Program Director is moving on to CRU.

Held the show together 2016-2019 despite lunatics, saboteurs, and naysayers. Hopefully someone as capable takes over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

We went from pre-order to ready to connect this morning. 😮

I pre-ordered with Digiweb on 28/03, so now I presume that will become an actual order and at some point we'll get a call from an installer.

It's been almost three years to the day since we were surveyed (06/05/2021), but here we finally are. I can Imagine (sic) the frustration of those at the end of the rollout, but at least it is rolling out and will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

*Deleted as I may have posted in the wrong forum. Oops.

Post edited by mfield on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

https://www.eplanning.ie/MayoCC/AppFileRefDetails/2436/0 Mayo Co. Co. 24/36

NBI planning issue, Section 5 application - exempt development declaration: fibre broadband cabin and ancillary development at Manulla

Outcome: DEVELOPMENT IS NOT EXEMPT - LETTER ISSUED 11/03/2024

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2024/04/30/planners-under-fire-over-mayo-broadband-structure-decision/

Members were told the applicant can appeal the matter to An Bord Pleanála.

A previous similar application back in 2021 was likewise refused exempt development status https://www.eplanning.ie/MayoCC/AppFileRefDetails/211339/0

Maybe because it's a national road and maybe there's no off-road parking ?

This one was declared exempt, so I guess it depends.

https://www.eplanning.ie/MayoCC/AppFileRefDetails/22505/0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭mossie

Black boxes gone up on poles in my area yesterday. How long does ordering normally come after this?

• Advertisement

Honestly, it depends. In my case we went to pre-order about four months after the DPs went up. What is your estimated connection date?

I suppose every DA will be different, but in our case, we were Apr-Jun 2024. This was roughly our timeline for the last bit.

• May 2021 - initial survey
    • 2021 - 2024 - occasional sporadic activity
    • November 2023 - fibre strung along poles
    • December 2023 - February 2024 - DPs installed
    • January 2024 - February 2024 - Fibre spliced at the ends of the roads and ducting finished
    • 28th March 2024 - Eircode went tp pre-order on NBI site (order placed with Digiweb)
    • 1st May 2024 - Eircode went ready to connect on NBI site
    • 3rd May 2024 - Fibre brought from DP to gable, awaiting install crew.

The last few months were a whirlwind, so hopefully you'll have something similar. I think you're on the home stretch once the DPs are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Woodie40

The eir router is useless, I got an ASUS router and it is almost like being on a wired connection.

Just to follow up on this, I had a call from KN to schedule an install next Thursday (23/05). They then called back a few days later offering me a slot on Saturday 18/05. Needless to say I jumped on that offer!

The installer turned up around half nine on Saturday morning, and all went without a hitch, and he was done in about an hour. He drilled through the gable and fed in the cable to me. I brought it through the attic to the office via conduit I had already installed. He offered to do the whole lot, but I did the attic bit as I knew the route etc.

He set it up with the Digiweb FRITZ!Box 7530 AX, just to avoid complicating the install. Once he was gone I switched over to my own setup and has been fine ever since.

I'll probably still follow the thread (old habits die hard), but as of now I am a happy camper and I wish good luck and speedy delivery to everyone still awaiting roll-out.

Obligatory first speedtest:

Mine is gone to pre-order today. Checking out the best options now. What is the general opinion on the best value option to go for?

• Advertisement

Hadn't seen this before. ComReg's broadband checker. There's a pretty low limit on the number of checks allowed but the usual work-arounds apply.

It's a bit buggy and the basemap isn't great…… and that speed looks ambitious even for NBI. Apparently there's an upgrade (to the map) due towards the end of the year.

VDSL is described as "part fibre"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Apparently network operators haven't given them any details about my house! 😱

The speed they show for my local school is way lower. They get 100 on "part fibre", but the result on that site is 64Mbps. Buildings right next to the exchange are "Network operators haven't given …" 🤨

It definitely needs work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It is showing the install date as Q4 2025 for me, same as what NBI have told me.

Also says 5gb. Will fibre eventually give you 5gb speeds?

Yes, eventually, but AFAIK NBI are currently offering 500Mbs as standard and 2Gbs on request. Maybe someone could try ordering 5Gbs just to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So what needs to be done to make the service change from 500mb to 5gb? Is it a matter of someone flicking a switch somewhere? Is it capable of 5gb from the minute the cables are installed?

Is 5gb then the absolute max available forever?

• Advertisement

NBI's fibre network is 10 Gbps symmetric. Nokia, who provide the exchange hardware have said their equipment is software upgradeable to 25 Gbps in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Barney27

Does anyone know how I can go about asking for a 2GB service? Currently on a 1GB connection but struggling with passing faster connection through the house on a power line mesh network.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If the powerline network is the bottleneck, a faster Internet connection won't help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭shmeee

Won't make a difference upgrading to 2gb, it won't be faster through the power line adapters. I get same speed through power lines on a 1gb connection as I did on a 100mbps connection, about 60mbps.

Mess around with different sockets and look at your fuse board to see what plugs are on what circuit etc. Everyone is going to have different experiences using power line adapters depending on how a house is wired and what devices are drawing power on the same circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

Virgin Media have joined the list of companies selling services on the NBI network. Their pricing is:

NBI chairman David McCourt on The Big Tech Show podcast. (NBP stuff about 5 mins before the end )

Claims the company will return "several hundred million" back to the State in clawbacks as well as the project being on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Spoke to someone involved in installation yesterday & he says it's way over budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

They wouldn't know at that level, pinch of salt and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lol, they wouldn't have a breeze what so ever. Pub talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

As regards the state subsidy it won't make a difference, that money is fixed.

It being over budget, no information on that in the public domain

That's not the counter argument you think it is 😂

@amdaley28 that's a weak counter argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Just a quick update, I was initially due to get fiber in Aug 21, that moved out to October/November and every time it got close to my connection date they moved the connection date out by a few months.

Last week it moved from June/July 24 to August/September 24.

Will it ever actually happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭con747

I started with November 2022 and I'm now at August 2026. Not holding my breath. It will eventually arrive but it's a pita waiting this long.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

2026 That is shocking. It's the hope that kills ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭con747

Yeah, I just checked again there and it's "Anticipated date for connection:January 2026 - December 2026"

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I'm in the Newport Tipp DA, 2026 rollout.

I'm seeing some preliminary work happening, blown-fibre ducting installed on a rural road by a contractor for NBI.

Circet doing core fibre duct work for enet at the rail line crossing beside the Annacotty industrial estate last week. Our local eircom exchange uses this route to feed core fibre from the main Castletroy exchange. enet I believe are the core fibre provider for NBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 knightfoon

hi guys, our area was supposed to get fiber in early 2025. I checked the nbi website today and it says that pre order is available already. Does that mean that everything is in place to provide our house with fiber connection? I was surprised to be honest when I saw the update today.

Ours went to pre order four weeks ago. Due to be connected on Monday. It had been down as Oct to Dec 24

okay, sounds plausible. Seems like they’ve set everything up then. I pre ordered for now with blacknight and hopefully we will get it soon. It’s just odd cuz we wouldn’t get it until 2025!

There's a few actual diaries back on the thread, eg @Dero's here and here, or @theguzman's here.

seems like everything is put in place then! Amazing. Hopefully I’ll have fiber within three months. Our current internet is so bad. We get 10 mbps, and our provider is implementing a price increase for that for 65 euros a month 💀

Was due to have fiber installed today and got a text at 8am confirming a 1200-1600 slot. Had taken a day off work for it but no installer turned up. Phoned KN to be told that my appointment was cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances" but nobody bothered letting me know. Told them I was annoyed with this and the fact that I had taken a day off for nothing. Trying to get an appointment for tomorrow but don't hold out much hope, and if they can't god knows when as I can't keep taking days off for this. Any similar experiences and how long did it take to rearrange an appointment?

Post edited by mossie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BandMember

KN wouldn't be installing it though? Surely it would be the ISP (i.e. Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc.) that you would need to contact?

KN do the installation for Vodafone, they texted me appointment details and the contact number is KN's. It now looks like it's being done on Thursday so I'll have to try to get off work again for something that was their fault.

Post edited by mossie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Got email saying ordering was available ..put in order with Vodafone...circnet called out today to connect and then after a while engineer said there was a problem outside and the connection had to be put on hold until it was resolved...he said a pole would have to be put in outside...wonder how long the delay will be now as had cancelled imagine

I needed a pole also and was dealt with through KN Circet. Took about 3 months from first visit until line was active.

DELETE

• Advertisement
Advertisement