Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HoppingTom

Looking at a house in a new development and the annual service charge they are stating as €1.2k per annum? Seems oddly high to me as I've no idea what it includes. Presume cutting grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Thats only the starting service charge :) Bet you withing a few years after all the houses are sold it will be up over 3k a year and rising.

I must get into the grass cutting business then

You probably need to be related to the agent to get that gig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

That sounds cheap!! A lot of places are around 3k

Living the life

• Advertisement

3k, whoah. I lived in London swimming pool and gym, outdoor gardens. And the service fee was £4k per annum, so could rationalise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Hi all, first time buyer here. Started the process last year (building up savings, being careful with spending etc). Got approval in principle in September 2023. Viewed a few houses and was outbid on all of them.

Finally went sale agreed on a lovely house back in April. Everything is done from my end, contracts signed, mortgage protection and house insurance in place. Signed contracts about 4 weeks ago and hoped to get keys last week but now the vendors solicitor have informed my solicitor that they are waiting for formal consent from their bank to the sale.

I know I’m lucky to be this far into the process as a lot of people struggle. But it’s so frustrating that this is being delayed. I would’ve assumed they should’ve had this consent prior to issuing contracts. My solicitor doesn’t seem too worried but I can’t help but be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Summer2020

for apartments maybe. A house in a new development with management fees shouldn’t be much more than a few hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eims5769

I had a bit of a search and couldn't see much on this. what would you expect to pay for a pre purchase survey of a house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

i paid 350 bucks cash..pm me if u want details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭This is it

I paid €425 + VAT for a survey of 3 bed semi in April 2023. Used Kellehers and found them brilliant. Report was with us in about 7 business days.

https://www.kelleherassociates.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

We used them twice and fuond them to be excellent. We pulled out of one purhcase based on their survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Do vendor contracts say moving out date or ballpark when it'll be?

Went sale agreed in March and our solicitor has contracts now and mentioned about the vendor possibly being in a chain. He's doing searches and don't want to interrupt him, but we need info. soon and wondering if typically they state a ballpark date to move out on the contract.

You'll generally get a ballpark, but you just don't know, especially when someone is in a chain. It can be a pain when you're trying to give notice in a rental.

We were first time buyers buying a vacant house and were delayed by about 6 weeks, you hear of others delayed by months, and others moving bang on the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Aguce

Anyone have suggestions for surveyor in Drogheda/Louth region? Please send PM

You should definitely get a date from vendors about moving in!! You may need to press your solicitor to ask them. The issue with chain is there can be obstacles, but still ask. You have a right to know. I am talking as being a previous vendor.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Hontou

My PPR is for sale. I just found out I need planning permission on double glass doors that I put in instead of a garage door. There is also new decking visible from the front. Does anyone know if I need planning for that too and how long it takes to get such planning and the costs involved? Will this delay the house sale by much?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭SimpleDimple

That’s the price of houses unfortunately. We started bidding more than a year ago and always had our budget in mind, and couldn’t stand that the prices would constantly go above what we thought the house was worth. Once we realised that someone was paying those prices, regardless of what we thought the house should be sold for, we upped our budget

Post edited by SimpleDimple on

We ought a house with the same thing. Converted garage and no planning. We could have waited for the vendor to get planning, but we applied for it ourselves after we bought it.

Its very common. It might concern some people but its no big deal. Apply for it yourself anyway. If someone is interested in buying the house solicitors will hammer something out for the unlikely event that either yourself or a buyer dont get planning for it.

In a case i know of there was a large shed in the garden. Another shed was 25sqm so planning was needed for this one. The solicitors arranged for the vendor to remove the roof for the sale to go through. I dont think the roof was ever really removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eims5769

Another question for the kind people of boards!When buying a property do I arrange the valuer myself or is this something the bank organises (but i pay for!)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Bank of Ireland will have a local panel of auctioneers for the valuation and you pick one of them.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

If its AIB they pick the valuer. You pay valuation fee to them and they appoint valuer who will link in with agent to get it. Very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frank730

they give you a list of names you can choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

hi all we went sale agreed with buyer in March on an apartment my OH inherited. Relatively fast and happy with offer, We are not in chain or anything but got word last week that buyer will pull out really soon if our solicitor doesn’t get contracts over. We have no idea why the delay and have been told twice now that they’re going out in the morning! Have rang called in etc and just promising don’t worry it’s in hand… so so annoyed this may futhrough. Any advice here or is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Hontou

Call your solicitor. Ask what the delay is and if none demand the contracts are sent or offer to bring over to buyers solicitor yourself. Buyers won't back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

Hey folks, I’m in my mid 30’s and started my journey buying a house as a single buyer at the start of 2023. The house I was renting a room in was going to put on the market before the end of 2023. I started saving like hell and watching my spending for 6 months before applying for a mortgage.

Got the AIP in September and started looking. Put bids on 4 different houses over the few months but got outbid on them all. It was quite disheartening and frustrating but kept the chin up. There was very little on the market in my budget and it was constant bidding wars. I needed to re-evaluate what I was willing to compromise on and what was non-negotiable. Eventually I had an offer accepted in April of this year on a lovely second hand house in a nice estate before my rental went up for sale. Was lucky enough to be able to move back in to my parent’s house in the interim.

Delighted to say I collected the keys for my own fantastic house last Thursday :D

It wasn’t an easy process. I had good savings including the deposit and got 4x my salary for my mortgage. But I still needed to bridge the gap so my father very kindly gave me a gift. I know I'm so lucky and privileged to be able to buy my own place and I’m extremely grateful to my dad for helping me, as I know a lot of people don’t have that.

It’s an amazing feeling getting the keys into your hand and knowing that the place is yours and you can do what you want with it. I never thought I’d care so much about paint colours or furniture.

I wish anyone else going through the process the very best of luck. At times it may feel like you’re getting nowhere but keep the head up.

• Advertisement

Advertisement