Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

It's a fair point. Increasing the coverage and prestige of the event is very important. And should be every year. There should be a lot more athletics coverage in general. This year though I think the athletes need to and are prioritising themselves. Barr is trying to qualify and English has a ridiculous streak going that he probably wants to hold onto it. They'd have their own reasons for attending. Rhasidat only ran the 100 and might have been attending for sponsorship/publicity reasons as she's now a pro athlete. National Record = Bonus?

I hadn't considered her dropping down, that's something she could have done too. Could she have skipped the Europeans like Kerr and dropped down to 800 to run the Nationals? Still happy to give her a pass this year myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Re : "This year though I think the athletes need to and are prioritising themselves"

The same can really be said for most years, as you'll have olympic, followed by world and euro championship on a cycle. That said, I do understand athletes prioritising their schedule.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan boy of AI, and god knows the need a big clear out, but can you imagine the difference in going looking for sponsorship when you can say you have the stars competing verses when they're not. No doubt success leads to success, and in turn lead to generating sponsorship. I believe AI have a new gear sponsor lined up for next year based on the European success.

I don't want this the come across an me specifically talking about Ciara, I most certainly am not. I'm just highlighting why I think our top athletes should be at the our national champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

But even if Ciara was there - people are really only interested in a competitive race.

What would be the point in her running against 4.25 runners?

Just so you can say - see Ciara Mageean at Santry. Why not just bring her but not have her run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Competitiveness is only determined afterwards. The people you are trying to entice to watch probably don't know what any of the times were going to be, they just want to see the big names competing. New fans to the sport after the euros weren't sitting there thinking that there is no point in her taking part, they just wanted to see her race.

Big names competing brings more eyeballs which brings more sponsorship, thats pretty undisputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Any word on who our qualifiers are for Paris? I thought the IAAF were announcing today. I am talking about the athletes whose qualifying positions were in doubt, and who had to wait for results in other national championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Did Sonia always run the nationals.

as for “Irish funded” athletes, surprised at that from Sonia. Athletes should compete where they want and the 20 to 40 grand a year they get from the government should have nothing to do with it. If they were paying serious grant money than by all means that changes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

that’s what she said in a very pointed article in the Irish times last week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

https://worldathletics.org/stats-zone/road-to/7153115?eventId=10229612

My quick reading is

Barr and Becker* will miss out individually.

Coscoran and McCann in and Doyle just squeaking in too in the mens 1500m.

*Although it has Sydney McLaughlin top qualifier in the women's 400s as the lists are based off running times not National Championships so the list may not be quite finalised yet.

Interesting reference Adeleke was 0.06 off the Olympic qualifying standard in the 100m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know this is a selfish thing to say, but Barr and Becker focusing exclusively on the relay(s) isn’t a bad outcome. I know they will both be disappointed, particularly Barr, but they both have a better chance of finals, and possibly even a medal in the relay.

Coscoran has the big Q from last year, so was always good. It would be great if Doyle sneaks in. I think he could do well given his tactical nous.

Advertisement