Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treats & hidden gems from Cork's ethnic food shops

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Builin Blasta Spicy Smoked Onion Mayo.

It's spicy, but I don't understand why.

I love spicy food, but not spicy mayo for some reason.

Still a nice mayo, but I do prefer Stokes.

Bradley's €4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Really delicious peanut cookies, small round crunchy goodness! Plenty in each container.

3.50 from Jia Jia on Cornmarket Street, lots of other interesting flavours too. Staff in there are so sound! These go great with a cuppa.

Such a simple thing, but handy to have in the cupboard. I'm making a Chinese (well, the Japanese version of it) chicken curry right now, and have added the can. €1.90 from Mr. Bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

I tend to buy the glass jar version of these. Dead handy to have.

• Advertisement

Belazu white wine vinegar from Mr. Bells. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I just saw the boot's specialties and delitaly is being sold. Hopefully someone takes it on.

Oh no! Delitaly? I love them 😭

Will they be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭scrotist

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but mangos from the Indian shops are delicious.

Feck that "ready to eat" crap in the regular shops. They taste like grass and you'd shatter your teeth on them.

I bought a mango from Spice Town in Bishopstown, extremely delicious and soft.

Alphonso seems to be the favoured type of mango, but I'm not sure if they are available in fresh form here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭scrotist

I'm eating an alphonso mango now. They have a few different varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh, it's mango season again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We don't do greengrocers in Ireland unlike other countries (hell, even England has loads of them).

Whilst the fruit/veg from Aldi/Lidl/Tesco is ok and what we are used to, it is tasteless rubbish compared to the good stuff. If you eat fruit and veg, A grade, from a good greengrocer then it is the highlight of a meal. Absolutely delicious, juicy, and I'm saying that as someone who likes his steak and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Geofood on South Main St now do Georgian wines which is quite rare to find in Irish shops! Delish reds and whites there at surprisingly good prices too

She does amazing Khachapuri (cheese bread) and khinkali (meat or cheese dumplings) here too and you can dine in as I did this afternoon. The sweetest lady owns it.

Edmond Fallot Dijon. €3.50 from Bradley's.

I remember buying the tarragon flavoured one when I was a kid in France. Blew my mind! Must have been mid 1980's, so I had never anything like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Advertisement