Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stendhal 2024 (Limavady, Co. Derry)

Options
  • 28-06-2024 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm off to this next weekend, and wondered if there were others out there going? I've been a few years now. I think I went once or twice pre-pandemic, & then, they got up & running very quickly post-pandemic, so have supported them. Have seen some really good stuff there in recent years - NewDad (a few years back, on a tiny stage!), ASIWYFA, Therapy, Ash, Mary Coughlan, local band The Wood Burning Savages (TWBS), Duke Special, Villagers. 2022, there was an excellent young fella called Lemonade Shoelace, who was strongly channeling his inner Pond & other such psychedelia.

My initial reaction this year was a very big - meh! - apart from the very obvious The Orb!! Imagine, The Orb, on my own patch (nearly!) in rural Co. Derry! And I imagine the 2 lads from Gomez will deliver. I seem to be one of the few humans who don't really get turned on by Hot Chip (DJ Set)! Also, bless her, but Heather Small was never my type of tune. And I'm sure The Zutons have redeeming properties for lots of people, but not for me.

But then, I drilled down a bit, and was pleasantly surprised! Cherym are angry young ladies from Derry! Punk sensibility. But more tuneful. Problem Patterns are an absolutely superb group of angry young ladies from Belfast. Saw them at Bearded Theory in Derbyshire a few weeks ago. Very entertaining! TWBS are doing an acoustic set, & will go to that. They're excellent.

But by far the most exciting discovery so far is Virgins. They're a shoegaze type group from Belfast, and are very good indeed. Will be super excited to be there in my Shoegaze t-shirt!

So, wondered if anyone else had any recommendations from the line-up? I will listen to most things, though tend to balk a little at the young singer-songwriter types that often appear at such festivals - last year, it was Ryan Mc Mullan. Not bad or anything, just, to me, bland. Don Letts is probably good. But I imagine he just DJs?

Tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mgkelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was looking at going this year but other things came up on same dates.

Ive said it a few times about this festival, but its real value for me that it allows for thst 13-18 age group allowing us to bring both our yonger kid and older teen. There are so few of those quality festivals on this island catering to all age groups

Hope you enjoy it, and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

Fatherson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Havvk worth a look, going by your other picks. Yeah i'd imagine Don Letts would only be dj'ing but he's good fun. His debut solo album 'Outta Sync', released last year, is pretty good. I love the title track.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RangerToby

I've been a lurker on here for ages but OPs @mgkelly thoughts made me finally register as it did resonate..

I too thought overall the lineup was quite weak this year, but oh my indeed when you drill into it there are some cracking bands in their early days and it got me reflecting that Stendhal really does embody all that is, was, and can be great about the small festival scene. With so many struggling, (eg vantastival got really screwed by covid being a May date all their costs were committed to and then lockdown...but good to see hints of one final year in 25') It's a testament to quality that Stendhal has made it through and really banged out its place where others have folded or failed.

Anyway, back to Stendhal. A true grass roots indepent festival that is always ridiculous value for money and for us hits that sweet spot with vibe, family friendly and a broad spread of genre's and artists(tho it does get a bit **** country somtimes! Thankfully that twonk Hugo not booked this year thank fook 😅)

It's probably the only festival I truly enjoy just wondering from stage to stage sampling a bit if everything to keep an open mind on top of a handful of must sees…

So yes deffo Virgins... out of nowhere what a promising band and a sound that's been missing from the live scene for a while. Same goes for CheryM

A few other ls that are at top of my list and really looking forward to live;

TWBS - agree always good live and seem genuinely stoked to be performing every time I've seen them... along this gest take a look at Casual Riots

Balcony Sunrise - I've been a bit of a sucker for the last few years, of late 80s synth revival and these guys combine those drifting loops and baselines with what I can only describe as thoughtful plucking and griping waawaa's on the stratocaster.

Moonlanding - solo multi-instrumentalist but I hear he's put together a session band for his set so this is going to be a first

Zoe Graham - whimsical harmoney driven story vocals at upbeat but off-kilter pop tempos with gritty base and synth tracks a bit of everything and nothing to drift away to.

Banshee - interesting echos of late 60s early 70s sound rock (shakers and all) but the lead singer, she can really whail!

Chubby Cat - While generally the genre isn't really my cup of tea, vocally I think she's incredibly dynamic. So hope what I hear from the studio tracks are matched in a live performance, Could be a real treat.

(Editied for typos)

Post edited by RangerToby on

• Advertisement

Interesting! Lots to check out there, sir! Thanks.

I've made the Clashfinder for this year (just building in Saturday now)

I can't post a direct link here yet as I've not been registered long enough but it's: /s/stendhal2024

Oh fantastic. Thank you for that. Will deffo download & use.

Where are The Orb?!

Maybe you've not had a chance to put them on yet?

Are they the special guest?

From poster, they're doing live set…whatever that might mean for the Orb!

Stendhal posted this morning that they aren't coming. Orbs FB page still has their post from a few days ago that they where... but whatever happend they not there now and looks like all events they were at are cleared all the way to September. Edit( they also pulled out of Glastonbury) Gutted for sure from a 'big' act POV that was really the only special draw. Real shame.

But hey its on my doorstep, early bird tickets were pittance and its made me look into the others around same time and I'm gonna give Toya Delazy a go. From all accounts she seems to be a blast live but not sure I could stand a whole set.

And urgh there's a nasty clash on Friday... Skinny Living, Virgins and CheryM all on at same time. 😣 Will prob skip Skinny as they are at Forest Fest in a couple weeks so will catch them there.

Been listening into more of Honeyfeet (Rioghnach Connally) that's going to be a treat!

Post edited by RangerToby on

• Advertisement

I am very saddened to hear this. Was my main draw. But, to be honest, one has to accept that these folks are only human, and The Orb lads, like meself, aren't getting any younger. Things can go wrong. There'll be other opportunities, I hope.

Some words from the orgnaiser on the festival/events sector in general in yesterday's Derry journal.

‐-------

Arts and Entertainment

Stendhal organiser Ross Parkhill issues ‘positive but precarious’ clarion call as award-winning festival gets set to welcome 10,000 plus

By Kevin Mullan

Published 2nd Jul 2024, 09:55 BST

Updated 2nd Jul 2024, 09:55 BST

From July 4 to 6, 10,000 plus music and art lovers will descend on Ballymully Cottage Farm, Limavady for the 14th edition of Stendhal Festival.

Since 2011 Limavady has played host to the independent event which has seen its numbers grow from 700 patrons in its inaugural year to the large-scale event it is today, which will see total attendance over its lifespan hit 100,000 people.

It has welcomed acts such as The Divine Comedy, The Undertones, Basement Jaxx, Ash, The Wailers, Sister Sledge and this year will add The Zutons, Hot Chip (DJ set) and Heather Small to that list.

There have been a host of challenges, trials and tribulations for the organisers behind the scenes but for Director Ross Parkhill, the challenges are worth the reward, however he believes that the current climate facing independent events is perhaps the most difficult era in the events 14-year history.

“Starting from absolutely nothing to becoming currently the largest independent, weekend camping music and arts festival in Ireland, certainly hasn’t been easy,” he said.

Mr. Parkhill said the festival has had issues from day one including objections, funding difficulties, to not being taken seriously in some quarters.

Ross continued: “Then we had Covid and the cost-of-living crisis and things in our industry steadily became more difficult to circumnavigate.

"Since Covid, 170 plus independent festivals in the UK and Ireland have closed their doors for good. 40 more have already gone in 2024 and our reality is that we are now the largest independent festival in the island of Ireland, partly due to the fact that we run a good and well-loved event, but if we are honest with ourselves, it is also partly by default because we managed to keep our heads above water when unfortunately, others couldn’t.”

He added: “I would describe our current position going into 2024 as positive but precarious. We seem to have bucked the trend so far but until the final bit of bean counting is done post event, there are never any guarantees year on year that we will be in a position to run the following year.”

There have been many factors that feed into one and other which has resulted in the current ‘very concerning landscape’ for independent events and festivals.

“As far as I can see there are quite a few reasons that so many events are getting cancelled,” Ross mused.

“There are the ever-present issues of entertainment overload in the summer. There are only so many pounds people can spend on entertainment.”

He continued: “Of course the cost-of-living crisis adds into that, funding for the arts is a huge issue that filters into that, but I’ll come back to that and then a huge thing that nobody seems to be discussing is the disgusting ticket prices for tier one acts at the moment.”

He also blasted ticket resales and dynamic pricing.

“The idea that some acts are charging anywhere between £200 and £500, sometimes more, for a two-hour show blows my mind.”

“If someone spends that on a gig then chances are that is their live gig budget gone for a couple of months, so there will be no tenners here and there to go check out an emerging act at a bar or smaller venue, effecting both emerging acts and grass roots venues.”

“Rising costs are a huge issue across the board, as is the legislation that passed last year deeming that any site machinery we use on the farm must be fuelled by clear diesel.”

Ross added: “Vat is another huge issue. What people maybe don’t understand is that if you spend £100 on a ticket to Stendhal, the tax man gets £20 of that.

"We greatly support the current call to reduce Vat on events down to 5 per cent as opposed to the current 20 per cent. That was the case during Covid times and if it wasn’t for that, we might not be here today.

“Funding is another bug bear, particularly in Northern Ireland where our government spends far less per head on the arts than any of our neighbours, in a post conflict society. It is somewhat dumbfounding.

"Luckily our team and others continue to rise to the challenges year on year in bringing some colour and joy within the country. We will keep fighting for the value of arts and culture and the respect it warrants – who doesn’t need more colour, sound and joy in their life?”

He praised the ‘great support’ received from Causeway Coast and Glens Brough Council, adding that financial assistance via the Arts Council NI Annual Funding Programme is also welcome.

But he lamented the demise of Tourism NI’s National Event Tourism Fund last year and the fact that a National Tourism fund application this year was rejected despite Stendhal ‘meeting all the criteria’.

“Last year when we got a lot of media attention off the back of TNI pulling the National Event Tourism fund we said that the decision to pull it would put independent events like ours at risk and lo and behold a year later, we are the last medium to large scale independent arts and music festival left in the country.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Getting the camper packed up here, in the pissing rain!

Red Eye Pariah sound good. Doghouse sound bonkers. Dead Goat are also on my list. Gutted that Virgins and Cherym are clashing. Reckon Virgins will swing it for me. Saw the guys from Gomez earlier in the year in the Limelight. Really enjoyable set but preferred them as a full band. They're clashing with Hypnic Jerk, the latest musical project from Phillip 'Wally' Wallace. He plays guitar and footdrums with amazing coordination!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Just left seeing Tomcat fantastic. Easily the best band of the Thursday night.twin female vocals compliment the swing from rock/ska/punk and indie and melodic.

(Currently at red eye... always good of course.) :) great to round off the night

Up there from tomorrow afternoon. Actually looking forward to it a bit more now. Really excited about Virgins. Sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My Thursday started with String Ninjas, followed by a fantastic PORTS, Tomcat and then Red Eye Pariah. Excellent. I briefly stopped with Doghouse on the way back to the campervan but they weren't doing it for me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Had an interesting Stendhal this year… Good thursday, and Friday started feeling a bit off.. Managed to get as far as Virgins and then things went downhill.. Spent the rest of the festival in our camper sleeping or on our camp toilet!! 🤒 Turns out (found out a week later after tests) after still not being able to eat or go longer than 30mins without the brown water delight that I'd picked up a cynobacta cluster that had wreaked havoc in my intestines. Lost 6kg in a week. brutal. Source wasn't festival related but likely from our chickens at home

Most annoying thing was missing Chubby Cat and Don Letts on the Saturday who by all reports were both brilliant.

Christ, that sounds like a bad affliction!! Hope you are well now. I personally really enjoyed Problem Patterns, HAVVK, Cherym, Virgins & the Gomez lads - they delivered a very polished performance, actually. Weather wan't great; improved a bit later on the Sat. Still nice to be out & about!

Advertisement