Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options
1394395396397398400»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jesus wept what a sad sack. In the unlikely event there is a god I’d be extremely surprised if he wanted anything to do with Enoch.
    An ‘ungodly man’! They’ll all have sore necks with the looking down at everyone they do. what a waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Raichų

uh misrepresenting the story there, it’s not a communal area, the green is owned by the person who owns the house adjacent.

The issue there is that the space has always been used communally and the property owner doesn’t want it used as such any longer. The gentleman arrested was technically trespassing but it’s not relevant here anyway.

Burke has several times entered the school, but even if he just sat at the gates, it’s not on and just weird. I wouldn’t be mighty impressed if a teacher in my kids school got sacked but kept showing up everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I suggested that a few pages back. Make trespassing at the school a criminal matter rather than civil and each breach is then a new crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They sing alright.

https://youtu.be/uIKG9yYiBbQ?si=akSb3gDqVQpvr9la

I still can't get links to highlight. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

From that Indo article

"Among the surprising things I learned about Burke was that he once mounted a short-lived rebellion against his parents after coming under the influence of “ungodly” persons."

That might explain why he's the one so utterly under Mammy's control now, then. None so pure and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I swear when I read this part, I got cold shivers.

Burke’s close call with the pub was a turning point for him, he reveals. “It took several factors to cause me to see the error of my judgment and to return to the historic understanding of God, salvation and sanctification; most important, however, was the discipline of a godly mother and father.

Burke credits his parents with changing the course of his life. “Without them, I doubt that I would have changed course. They firmly pointed out to me the error of my ways.” Burke said that although he “came back to Lord” for a long time afterwards, “false ideas from this period of back sliding still lingered in my mind”.

That level of control is genuinely horrifying to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm more arguing for the need to have a criminal charge for Contempt of court similar to the one used to jail Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro in the US for their contempt of court for refusing to comply with a subpoena.

The Judges I think are getting wary of simply leaving him there in definitely , which is why Justice Sanfey let him out.

However , if they could simply apply a fixed term to his contempt then that issue is removed.

The school apply for a permanent injunction (if they haven't got one already) and if he turns up again he gets arrested and sent to jail again for a fixed term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Simeon was in great voice but what a shame they can’t enjoy it. They look like wax work models, they have no personality

• Registered Users Posts: 14,438 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The guy had racked up tens of thousands in fines, and preferred jail rather than purge his contempt, what possible reason have you to think that a lesser sentence like those handed down in the US, would be any more successful in breaking his resolve.

By the way, Steve Bannon hasn’t given any indication that his sentence would prevent him from doing it again, in fact it is being reported in US media today that he said he was proud to go to prison and will be more powerful on his release. So I wouldn’t be holding that up as an example of effective justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Excellent video of him, the Bro and Ma Burke outside the 'Joy extolling the great feeling of freedom to refuse to have people telling him how to behave towards others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's not about "breaking his resolve" per se , it's about facilitating his incarceration more equitably.

The Judges are rightfully getting concerned about the idea of him being held in essentially indefinite confinement without an actual formal charge , which is why Sanfey let him out because on balance he felt that because the school was closed he "technically" couldn't breach the injunction which was better than ongoing confinement without charge.

My fear is that when he violates the injunction in September (and he will) the Judges might not want to send him back to jail for ~9 months until the end of term.

However I don't think they'd have any concerns about simply sending him to jail for 6 months at a time or whatever with a definitive charge and duration of confinement attached.

Whether they do that once or 20 times I don't think they'll mind , but they are worried about the implications of Enochs utter intransigence under the current contempt rules so a solution has to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wonder has any of the kids asked the others if they really believe in that nonsense. Like in This is England when they leave the national front meeting and one of the lads gets thrown out in the middle of nowhere for questioning the crap they’d just heard.

I think you just answered your own question, what would be the penalty for going against the family? I suspect the penalty would hurt more than a stint in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

In another telling paragraph, he explains his belief that to honour the Bible gospel, you must suffer. In short, life is not about enjoying yourself. “Hedonism revives a familiarity with all that Christ is against.

“Persecution, affliction, burdens, sorrow, grief, loss and toil are to be expected. But these are transient compared to the smile of Christ. Go forth to obey. His blessing will come, and your cup will overflow.”

This explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

“Persecution, affliction, burdens, sorrow, grief, loss and toil are to be expected. But these are transient compared to the smile of Christ. Go forth to obey. His blessing will come, and your cup will overflow.” - Enoch Burke.

He thinks he is going to be rewarded for this. The poor fool.

I wonder how different his life could have been, if he'd gone to the pub that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

So he's been released so the school can sack him properly. Anyone any idea when that's going to happen?

Also, the whole issue of religious types being too uptight to enjoy music and dancing has been thoroughly explored and resolved in the 80s movie Footloose, and is the final word on the subject as far as I'm concerned.

Great film, nice reference.

As weird as we think the Burkes are, in parts of the US, they would just be locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Advertisement