Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with insuring a car declared off the road

Options
  • 02-07-2024 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi, I was out of the country for the last year, and declared my car off the road on motortax.ie before leaving and before the tax ran out. To be best of my recollection and searching my emails, I didn't receive a receipt/email confirmation from the Motor tax website. I did not renew the insurance when it ran out shortly after. Now I'm trying to insure my car again, and as it is 18 years old, I'm finding very few companies who will insure it, and AXA, who gave me an initial quote, are saying they will not insure it without written confirmation that it has been off the road. Will the tax office issue this to me? Anyone been in this situation before?

Many thanks,

Sean

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

Pop your Reg details into the motor Tax website to see how long it's out of date and how much the arrears amount is.

If it's a crazy amount then do a title change to a family member and then transfer back to you.

Contact Kennco for a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Insurance companies don't like old cars and they really don't like people who just bought old cars, they all ask when did you buy the car and you'll have to put down the date on the VLC.

Contact all the insurance companies and brokers you can find. Look for fully comp quotes vs TPO or TPFT, they really don't like people who insure old cars TP. I just renewed my Mother's 21 year old car after checking lots of companies.

If they won't quote online they won't quote over the phone. I had a big engined oldish car that one year I requested call backs from all the companies that said they can't quote online request a call back. Only 1 called back which lead to a really confused call centre worker getting my call and having to tell me they can't quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Raichų

that’s not true at all if they won’t online they won’t over the phone what? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭fitzgese

The thing is though I had planned for it to be off the road for a year, there are no arrears and I've already taxed it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Contact a broker such as McCarthy insurance group they got me insured on my car with liberty insurance and my car is 18 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wandererz

Call up the motor Tax office and ask them to send you confirmation. They are usually nice enough to deal with.

Looking through my emails, I don't have any email confirmation of SORD either even though one of my cars is currently declared off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Wailin

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Are you sure that they are not just looking for a letter from you in writing confirming that the car has been off the road?

Something from the motor tax office only confirms that it was not taxed, they already know it wasn't taxed so a letter saying that it wasn't taxed makes no odds as you could have still been using it sans tax & insurance.

Advertisement