Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

We don't have a bin collection as we don't have a bin at our house. When shopping at the supermarket, we leave as much of the plastic wrappers and containers as we can in the aisle bin. Old ice cream tubs to bring loose stuff home in. Cardboard and paper is either composted or burned in the stove.

Any wrappers we do have at the end of the week are tightly wrapped into a ball and dropped into the supermarket bin outside the supermarket. Tins and glass go in the recycle bins. We don't really have much in the way of food scraps as even they can be composted, made into stock or bird feed. Bones are burned in the stove.

Electricals can be left at a recycle centre free of charge.

With regards to the Re-Turn scheme, we are making a few Euros a week picking up cans the lazy throw in the hedges around here. Even the bins are full of them. If I can reach them, I take them!

Wherever there are lazy people, I am there to take advantage of them. Everything has value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

as predicted by many, Bin companies are going to raise their prices as they are no longer collecting valuable metals in the blue bins.

Ultimately the consumer loses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Independent news paper saying bin charges will have to go up now as lost millions due to this DRS.

It will get to a stage enough will be enough and only time will tell with more rubbish piling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not sure they're allowed to do that. I'd be raising a complaint with re-turn… Mind you they'll probably fob you off and tell you to contact Lidl CS as they literally built a system without a warranty

We should not have bin companies, this is a service the council should be running. But a simple solution to the latest problem created by the greens is to make the bin companies part of the re-turn scheme and give them a share of the profits. If the same logic applies then the price of collections should come down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Shan Doras

I wonder if SF put abolishing this scheme in their manifesto, would they go up in the polls ?

The scheme doesn't need to be abolished, it needs to be fixed. 4 steps that if a SF policy maker is here should take note of

1. Remove the deposit and the return and make it like how we return glass bottles, which are currently returned to over 90%
    2. Remove private bin companies from our system and put refuse collection back in council hands. This should also help with illegal dumping
    3. Remove the requirement for barcodes and re-turn logos, should help importers
    4. Allow cans to be crushed so space can be saved

I can't see anybody thinking these aren't logical steps that people wouldn't vote for but at the same time keeping the rates of return and hopefully recycling high

• Registered Users Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

SF councillors fully supported privatising bin collections, doubt they will go back on it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/opinion/simon-bourke-price-of-aluminium-on-the-rise-as-customers-lose-out-in-the-recycling-war/a1433655958.html

Some quotes from behind the paywall:

And having wholeheartedly embraced this initiative, declared it the cleverest, most innovative thing the Government has done in aeons, the customers are now set to be penalised with a price hike from the aforementioned bin companies. Yes, that’s right, by taking our bottles and cans to the machines, by tussling with the slot, fumbling with the buttons, and doing what we’re told, we are now set to see yet another household bill increase.
    For my part at least, the irony is that I haven’t once used the DRS, have continued to feed that shiny aluminium and PET plastic into the recycling bin, keeping the bin collectors in a job and sustaining the circular economy without receiving a cent in return. Now, despite my diligence, my loyalty, I am to be penalised for the actions of others, for the creation of a scheme I wanted no part of.
    Of course the reason why the DRS was introduced in the first place was because we weren’t recycling enough, because we needed to be lured into doing it with promises of pocket money, rewarded for our efforts in saving a planet which we previously didn’t care about.
    Already there’s talk of increasing the bounty associated with these cans and bottles, giving people even more incentive to save the planet, more incentive to take part in a scheme which we’re repeatedly told is one of the great success stories of our time. We’re going to need that bounty, need those receipts, once the binmen start hiking up the prices.
    Only in Ireland could something so straightforward be made so complicated, could the redistribution of used materials become a source of so much contention.

Some good points raised. An amazing exercise in masochism all round.

Full article for those interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Minister says that the Irish Waste Management Association have provided no evidence that their members need to increase their prices. He has asked them for that evidence, but got no response. There is nothing on their website about the issue. I wonder where the journalist got his information? He did not name the company claiming to be planning a price increase.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22412187/

https://iwma.ie/news-press-releases/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bog master

Jaysus cop on. If any business loses a % of their income stream they will increase their prices. Whether it is 15 million or 5 million is irrelevant. Maybe ask ReTurn what is their estimated proceeds from their sale of recyclables.

This is a list of current charges from one of the waste companies. People using DRS won't need to have their green bin collected as often as at present. So they will be able to save money. The weight wouldn't be the issue with empty plastic bottles and aliminium can, it is the bulk that fills the bin.

Waste (Black) Bin €12.50 per lift up to 45kg thereafter an additional €0.23/kg. Recycle (Green) Bin €6 per lift up to 20kg thereafter an additional €0.15/kg. Organic (Brown) Bin €7.50 per lift up to 45kg thereafter an additional €0.18/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You've cherry picked one waste company. Many people are on different packages. Besides, those prices are based on the green bin containing valuable recyclables, which are likely cross subsidising other the price for other bins. The rules of the game have changed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I have seen no details from any company of new prices. Have you?

I have seen no details from Return of exactly how much of their funding cones from sale of recyclables?

Have you?

Yet didnt you list official info on the scheme that it was significant enough to be listed as specific category of its funding?

This is not small change.

Obviously that is going to impact bin collection prices.

Just because a opinion piece in a newspaper says that, doesn't make it true. There is nothing obvious about it. The companies need to provide the evidence to the Minister that he is asking for.

It is obvious. It is even noted in posts you have made on this thread listing Returns sources of funding. True or false?

Not a good look is it when you are contradicting your own posts?

Why dont Return provide the information on their expected funding from the items?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,871 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What rules have changed?

I never signed a contract with a bin company to provide them with a certain number of cans per lift.

Now they want me to pay an increased charge for not lifting something that I never put in the bin in the first place.

This has a way more to run.

(just for the record up to the introduction of DRS I have always put my cans in the bins at the local civic amenity site)

I dont know what universe you think this is a rule or how the premise of that question has any relevance.

15 million euro of funding gone from the bin companies.

Do you expect them to print money?

Collect your bins at a loss?

In the real world these are the economic realities that lead to price increases.

Cry me a river for privately owned bin companies banking their profits in The Isle of Man.

In the real world why should it be me who pays them for not collecting something they never collected in the first place.

It's a rule of mine not to be ripped off.

• Advertisement

If it was a publicly run scheme funded by LPT the same loss of revenue stream would impact funding of the whole operation.

So spare us the irrelevent venting about profits.

This was explained to you already on the thread and you had no credible response then either.

They are not just collecting your bin. They are collecting tens of thousands and enough of those bins had recyclables sufficient to provide revenue to help fund the operation.

Do you think you as an individual get some bespoke specific pricing?

You dont get that for bin charges.

You dont get that for LPT.

Thats the real world.

Let them sort it out with whoever they have a contract with that says they get certain recyclables.

Neither I nor all those tens of thousands have any such contract with them.

That's the real world.

If they were in breach of contract in selling on the recyclables you should sue them.

If they are in breach of contract in increasing prices to cover the lost revenue, you should sue them.

I think you will find the contract entitles them to increase prices. Either you keep paying or change supplier. As this has affected all bin companies thats not a real solution either.

Would you expect bin companies to keep collecting your bins if you stop paying?

If you were supplying a shop and could no longer provide the product, would you expect the shop to keep paying you?

So in what real world would you expect the company buying the recyclables to keep paying the bin companies?

Baffling nonsense.

The reality is the bin companies will get the 15 million back - if not from the government or Return then in higher charges to customers.

No one has given any credible or coherent alternative. Tangents about contracts and profits are irrelevancies that dont change that reality.

Would you stop, I'm not suing anyone.

I'm just putting the bins out like always with no cans in them.

What's really baffling is that you are so keen to see me and all the other households pay the bin companies for not collecting our cans.

We have already under legislation started paying deposits, separately storing and returning cans to RVMs.

And, as has been said many times here, at no little inconvenience.

We are doing our bit to help Ireland reach the 2030 targets.

Is that not enough without this preposterous suggestion that we should all pay "disappointment money" to the bin companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A few posts in this thread have outlined price increases by bin companies since the turn of the year, myself included, local operator increasing monthly fee by 1.75. Am still awaiting an email as to why but again the logic as to why would be straightforward in the context of this thread, whether they will state it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I refuse to use them. That said I'm buying wine now instead of cans. Hey ho

That was probably to do with the levy, which they would have been entitled to put back on customers. But there is zero evidence that they are suffering any losses from DRS. It looks like they got their friends in the press to put out vague stories about an increase, but they failed to go through the proper channels to present evidence to the Minister first.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/75262-introduction-of-new-environment-levies-will-incentivise-recycling-and-help-ireland-meet-our-eu-waste-targets/#

The legislation introduces a waste recovery levy of €10 per tonne (or 1,000kg), and a €10 increase to the existing "landfill levy" to €85 per tonne. As the levies apply only to ‘black’ bin waste, householders can manage the impact of this charge by sorting their waste and reusing and recycling as much as possible to minimise their overall household waste charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah yeah, but some won't be making out like bandits then. So this isn't going to happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's you because Fine Gael privatised our waste collection out to a bunch of cowboys who only care about their bottom line. That's why YOU'LL end up paying more when THEIR profits are affected. Re-turn are now making bank on items like aluminium because of this idiotic scam and the likes of Greyhound, Panda, City Bin, Thorntons, etc aren't going to just shrug their shoulders at that. They'll recoup their loses by increasing their charges…and no doubt stick an extra few cent on top of that as well, just because.

• Advertisement
Advertisement