Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options
1386387388389390392»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭deise man

Davy gone according to John fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

Took long enough to make his decision didn’t he . All hail king Henry lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s a surprise

I assumed if he was going it would’ve been announced even earlier

Kinda funny now with Austin Gleeson’s recent interview saying he couldn’t wait to get back and was praising Davy saying he had a great year etc

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

yeah just saw the article bit surprising but taught in his interview after the limerick game he sounded like he wasn’t overly sure about coming back. Hard to know where we go now. Not his biggest fan but after how the championship went this year would have given him next year. Not too many outstanding candidates out there and not sure if too many would want the Waterford job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek part 2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Can't say i'm disappointed to see him gone. My only fear is he'll somehow end up managing Dublin so better be careful what you wish for sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭High bike

It's about the only option he has I'd say,if Donoghue goes back to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

O’Donoghue to Galway? Davy to Dublin? Henry to Waterford?
    Should be the Ballygunner management team coming in by rights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I'm hoping Michael will give it another year. It wasn't a bad year for Dublin hurlers. About as good as could be expected with the talent at his disposal. If he thinks he can go a step further and possibly win a Leinster final next year dont see why he wont stay. If he feels that's a step too far he'll probably go. But please anybody but Davy. I can never warm to the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Henry shefflin would be worse than Davy 😡…….doubt the ballygunner lads would be interested…? Most likely will be another ‘non-native’ appointment……how about Colm Bonner……?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Would be a mistake in my own opinion, after his "we're the team beat" rant after the 2022 league final he seems to have lost alot of credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

story with molumphy ? he is loose now where is he living?

was hoping ken would step up but his record was fairly abysmal when given his shot

will Seán power finally be given a go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Please God not Shefflin. He's progressively made Galway worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭914

If not Dublin then it has to be Kerry or Antrim for Davy. That would be a perfect match. The experience and lift Davy could bring to either of those counties would be huge in propelling them forward.

I for one would love to see him with a Kerry, Antrim or Laois as I reckon he would get them competing.

The decision to appoint Davy by the county board is even more bizarre now. Failed to get out of Munster at two attempts and relegated from Division one in the league.

Gone from being the only team that might be capable of going toe to toe with Limerick to looking like a team that is in transition.

Are we in a better place after Davy's two years?

People will talk about being unlucky against Tipp and Clare.

Had the Cork game went on for a other 5 minutes of so we could have been bet (despite cork having 13 men).

The draw against Tipp was a fair result, and we threw away a 4 point lead, let's be honest that Tipp team have been woeful this season.

Clare game, credit for fighting back on several occasions, but again we came up short.

Limerick we were miles off it, it looked like men v boys.

Where we go from here, I don't know, in house options, Derek McGraths name has been mentioned prior to Davy's departure, Sean Power that time has probably passed, Darragh O Sullivan nothing would happen there till possibly next year (presuming BG win the county), Peter Queally, Stephen Molumphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

cobo seeming to suggest it was his idea

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Of the options mentioned above:

Ballygunner Management: Franks already involved with Wexford. I think it might be a year too soon for them anyway, as they will be hoping to go deep into the Munster / All Ireland club series again. I don’t think it will be possible to get stuck in with Waterford as a new manager like Darragh O’Sullivan would need to while also challenging on that front.

Molumphy: Taking up a position with the army in Brussels for the year. Non runner.

Shefflin: Stock at an all time low. May want a year or two out presuming he leaves Galway.

Queally: Would offer continuity. Unsure how much a role he had under Davy. Would need a good coaching and backroom team with him.

Derek: This is the first time I’ve genuinely felt this could actually happen. Unsure how I feel about it. A lot would depend on his potential management team.

Ken: I couldn’t envisage it after an underwhelming year with the U20’s.

Joxer: Same as Ken but with the minors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Shefflin - joke of a manager

Derek McGrath - will love being back in the papers for a while. Possibility that he’ll go for it.

Eddie Brennan - I can see him going for it. He’s a winner, but a bollocks. Steer clear.

Micheal Donoghue - he won’t take it, I can see him going back to Galway.

Ken McGrath - I would think he would take it if given it, but I don’t think he’ll be asked.

Stephen Molumphy - you wouldn’t even know he was involved with Kerry only for the updates here. Not sure what he’d bring to the job. A legend for Waterford but as a manager?

Peter Queally - No.

Joxer - No.

Darragh O’Sullivan - Will love the paper talk, similar ego to Derek McGrath.

Dan Shanahan - No.

David Franks - A good coach by all accounts, loved by Ballygunner lads.

Mattie Kenny - No.

David Herity - Loves himself and has a nice woman. Highly regarded in Kilkenny as a coach but not sure how he really got on with Kildare?

Darren Gleeson - Scumbag.

I can see someone like Tom Mullally getting it. I think we’re due a left field appointment to be honest. Tom is a grand fella, he pitched in a bit with our club a few years back. I wouldn’t be overly convinced with what he’s done at inter county management level so far but if he has a good group of players to work with my experience of him is that he wouldn’t be the worst choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Would ye try get Donal O'Rourke involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What in the name of jaysus has David Herity's wife got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
Advertisement