Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance of the land from parent.

Options
  • 03-07-2024 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi all , I'm here looking for some advice and maybe people might offer me some suggestions.To those people on here that inherited a farm from a parent, or family member, how was the relationship after you took over from that person?

My old fella is in his 80s but I find it hard to do anything myself on the farm without him getting involved and if it's different to what he would think he wouldn't be happy and would probably argue 95% of the time with me. I'm heading for my 40s, work part time farming and full time in another profession living with my wife and kids. I have just two years of the young farmers payment left and I'm at a stage wondering if this is worth the arguments anymore with the old fella. I love the farm but just can't farm with my old fella trying to call the shots even though he knows where his place is now. I'm now in charge but it unbelievable how powerless I feel at times with the running of the farm. Older generations can be very difficult to deal with if people know what I mean and my dad is one.

Interesting to see if other people on here have had a similar experience? And ways of dealing with it?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

Are you in full financial control? If so ignore the old fella and plough as you you wish. I definitely then the previous generations don’t understand the value of “time” as they were full time farming so had time to gunter etc.

But also be thankful there is still enough fight in your lad in his 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

Yes I'm in full financial control and own all the land, cattle and machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

Any example of what ye are clashing on? I am in year 4 of young farmer tranfer also with a father in 80s. We clash occasionally but more down to me being difficult myself and him just being of an older generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭con___manx1

My friend inherited a farm. He rents it out and works in his own profession. It's tax free up to a certain amount. Think around 15k bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭older by the day

The bother with the old farmer is they can't let go of the reins. I'm helping out elderly relatives all my life.

Don't be fuuucking rushing in with too much help. They will take advantage. Enjoy the freedom of having someone around the yard to keep an eye. But let them wear out with work, not arguing. You can't rush the process. One fall and things could be totally different tomorrow.

Do you want to work full-time and farm, or what are your plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

Simple things like how I want to manage some of the fields or animals and I have different ideas that he isn't in favour of. That kind of thing really.

Advertisement