Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 Graduates Thread - What's Next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I extended Week 6 by a day to get my long run in earlier today (a nice 10 miler in the Phoenix Park). Took a detour into the War Memorial Park which I'd never set foot in before despite living in Dublin for a million years. Got both sessions done this week as well, go me. Found myself thinking about marathon training now again, must be the extra daylight 😂. I had a look at both the beginners and the intermediate grad plans and can't see much between them at all, maybe just a bit more intensity in the speed sessions on the intermediate plan ? Anyway, loads of time to decide.

Just over 26 miles for the (8 day) week. An improvement on the last couple of weeks anyway so hopefully back on track.

Post edited by Bungy Girl on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nice going on the consistency there, and I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding the long run distance. I'm not entirely sure of your easy pace, but honestly, not matter what it is, a 90 minute long run is plenty for now while you build things back up. Once you've established that distance as part of a weekly routine, then you could look to add a little to it, but even then, I'd probably add to one of the midweek 5k's before adding to the long run. It can be tempting to ramp things up too quickly on a return from a layoff, but a bit of restraint will usually pay off in the long term.

It's never too early to be looking at marathon plans!! The Wednesday session of the Intermediate plan has a bit more bite to it compared to the Beginner plan, but the main difference is the Saturday run. You'll notice the Sunday Long Run alternates every second week between a standard easy run and something a bit tougher. On those weeks with a vanilla easy long run, the Saturday run on the Intermediate plan is usually 60 mins moderate/steady. I usually added a warm-up and cool down to that, which meant I was doing the Long Run on nicely tired legs. Those easy runs on tired legs are great preparation for the marathon, and the feeling of running big distances having run at a decent clip the day before was one of my favourite things about that plan both times I followed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Slowly (in more ways than one) I'm getting back into a better routine. Had a few days sick a couple of weeks ago which was a minor blip in upping the weekly KMs. Hit 40km last week with 6 days running, which was mostly easy and then two runs with intervals. I am yet to get around to anything over 10k since the marathon and want to get better at making the time to get a proper long run in each weekend, especially with the weather getting a bit better. Also looking forward to a parkrun but something keeps getting in the way each Sat morning. I'd really like to get back into them as when I was doing them regularly, I could see slight improvements over time, and it's a good way to push yourself that extra bit when surrounded by a few others. I usually squeeze in a strength and conditioning workout and yoga once a week too. For the running plan, I'm still using the Garmin watch suggested runs. It's convenient and simple to follow so does the job for now.

Ok, cool, thanks @Mr. Guappa . I'll take a closer look at the intermediate plan so. I was half thinking I'd just do the Novices plan again seeing as it worked out well, but it's probably time for me to step it up a notch. I suppose with both the grads plans, with them done by time rather than distance, I was thinking I wouldn't get as many miles in as I did with the Novices given my easy pace is pretty slow (approx 17 miles = 3 hours and 14 miles approx = 2.5 hours).

• Advertisement

I used similar paces the first time I did the Intermediate plan, 3 hours was 18 miles approx. I did do a 20 miler, and also added a little to some of the other long runs, turning 15/16 miles into 17/18 miles. But, another (maybe better) strategy is to add to your Saturday run instead - there's lots of thought that anything over 3 hours is for little benefit while increasing the injury risk substantially, and so it's better to do maybe 90 mins + on the Saturday, then up to 3 hours on the Sunday which will be on tired legs.

Plenty miles to knock off before then in any case, but no harm to be looking. Given how well you've done with the 5K/10K plan, I'm sure you'd have no issues with the Intermediate plan anyway.

The Tinman calculator seems to have disappeared, hopefully it's temporary. I've tried the runfastcoach link and going directly to the Tinman site but no luck. Anyone know a good alternative ? I find it very handy to have the range for the different paces to go with the grad plans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is the Luke Humphrey one. Not sure if the paces are the same between it and the ones boards plan was using.

https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

Thank you @AlmightyCushion. It looks very similar 👍

There's a PDF here with screenshots of the various Tinman paces for a wide selection of 5K times:

• Advertisement

Looks like the Tinman calculator has gone behind a paywall here:

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Hi all. The 15 week marathon plan in the spreadsheet starts around mid July. Should I just follow the base plan and repeat weeks 5/6 until then? Since DCM2023 to the end of April I've just being doing 2x 10k's a week + the odd park run. In May I've been on the base plan. Or are you supposed to have started this months ago and work through the tabs?

Thank you

Post edited by 80s Synth Pop on

No need to have started months ago and worked through the tabs.

I'd start in earnest 20 weeks out from Dublin, doing the 6 week base plan followed by the 14 week marathon specific plan. For the next 3 weeks until then I'd just try and keep the consistency going, without putting too much pressure on (you don't want to turn it into a 26 week marathon block!).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Thank you Mr Guappa! So Monday 10th June it begins :)

Did a slow 20k on Sunday and felt grand so it looks like the legs still remember which is encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Just an update from my previous post (post #8). I did Limerick Marathon and finished 4h32m. The heat on the day was just mad. I was training for 4hr15 and followed the pacers until halfway and got a small bit of the gremlins telling me you’re not going to be able to do the rest. I was sure I walked most of the 2nd half and was happy and shocked to finish just 7 minutes slower than Dublin.

I'm taking a break from marathons and am going to try out a few mountain runs with IMRA, there are 4 runs in Sligo over the next few months, so I am going to do that for a change and also do a short 5k plan until the training for Dublin starts up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Legits

Hey all,

I have been tipping away for the last few months keeping a steady mileage of 35km a week. I joined a running club and did knock 2 mins of my 10k time. I am running Dublin again and hoping for a big improvement on last year. I can't believe its nearly time to start those long long runs again….

I am looking for Running plans at the moment if anyone has any excel recommendations I saw the boards one with times but I do prefer distances targets. Running the Killarney HM on the 8th of June and planning to base by training plan of that time.

Hal Higdon has a wide range of plans available online, from Novice to Advanced, which can be found here:

Other popular alternatives would be plans from books, such as Hanson's, Pfitzinger & Douglas (P&D) or Jack Daniels. Most of those would be more advanced, so it depends where you are at with your running, and finding something that works for you. Personally, I found the grads plans linked in the OP were ideal for my second (and third) marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

How is everyone getting on?

I actually can't believe the marathon training should start again next week! I have a race next Sunday so I'll probably start a week late.

It definitely feels much different this time around for me, everything was new, I only ran my first half in July and started training after that so every training run longer than that was my longest run, there was a certain amount of going into the unknown.

Ignorance was bliss in someways, but now I have 1 marathon under my belt, one that didn't go at all well, so thats the only point of reference I have!

I'm feeling good though, I've been running consistently 5 or even 6 times a week since the end of April and have been focusing on losing some weight. Down 8kg or so, unfortunately I'm only down 2 or 3Kg from my Marathon weight, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to lose a few more during the summer.

Haven't been running very long distances in these few weeks though, 10 miles has been the max, so it will be interesting to get back into the swing of things.

Still haven't picked a plan though! I liked Hal higdon intermediate 1 last year, but I think there would be no harm incorporating some speed sessions, so if I'm modifying plans I probably should be just finding a different one! Will take a better look over the weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm getting on grand with it. I am having to move runs around to accommodate life which can make things a bit tricky but I expected that. I did a medium/long run the morning after having 8 pints the night before and I can see why so many people go off or massively cut back the drinking when training for a marathon. It was rough enough.

@witnessmenow - Even though it might not seem a lot, 2 or 3 kilos can definitely make things a bit easier. Also, yeah I would definitely recommend doing a bit of speedwork. It should help you improve and get fitter/faster but also just because speedwork can be a bit fun.

The Runkeeper app is quiet good and it has speed sessions in the traing plan. It also guides you on your run, which is very handy for speed sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Hi All

Hope the training is going well.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Emmet Dunleavy's marathon plans? Pefectpacing.com

Cheers

I had a look at the Runkeeper plan it gave me today, my initial thought is I'm not sure about it.

A lot of the long runs, including the only 32k on plan, is at race pace. That race pace 32K is also only 3 weeks prior to DCM. Maybe race pace long runs would work for me, but it definitely feels like a leap of faith to change my approach that much!

The weekly mileage seems a little lower compared to what I did last year, despite putting down I'd run a 6th day (I only did 5 last year).

HH intermediate 1 went very well for me for last year other than the race, but thats kind of an important part of a plan :)

Will have to ponder some more

Yup, I wouldn't really argue with you. There are a good few race pace runs alright. However, there are a good few 3/4 marathons in early October to incorporate that last one.

I like it for the interval runs as well, but I have gone too fast in them and worn myself out.

I've been unable to run for almost 2 weeks due to having a procedure and then being hospitalised for a few days afterwards due to complications. I'm thankfully out now, but still quite weak and tired, so wont be able to start up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks to Mr. Guappa for setting this thread up. I'm a bit late to the party. I was part of the 2022 novice group. I briefly joined Lazare's graduate thread too but not for very long. I ran consistently to the end of 2022 but then between one thing and another I didn't run much at all for nearly a year. Consequently I lost all of the gains made in 2022. But for the last months I'm back at it and have a spot in this year's Dublin marathon. I've decided I'm going to follow the Boards Novice plan again. Doing this mainly because I know it works but also I don't think I have the fitness levels just yet to take on anything more advanced. TBH I'd be really happy with a similar performance to 2022. I plan to train with a goal time of 3:59, though I think that might be beyond me atm and will adjust as necessary after a few weeks. I have signed up for the Marathon race series, so looking forward to that too. Back in March I did the Skerries 10k in a time of 49:31. I hope to post some updates in the coming weeks and look forward to seeing how others are getting on too.

Sounds like a very sensible plan for where you are right now @Adiaga 2. Best of luck with the training!

I had a brief look at the runkeeper app this morning. It happily spat me out a plan for a 3 hour marathon, based off a 25 minute 5K, and running 3 days per week. So, I'd have my doubts about using it to train for a marathon.

Admittedly there are a few things you have to overlook and play with to get it to work. You have to play with the weekly distance to bring the shorter runs up to a reasonable distance, and set it to 5 days a week. But other than that, it's not too far away from other plans.

Post edited by T-Bird on

Hope everyone running is going well!

How terrible of an idea would it be to just combine two different plans?

I'm thinking of doing the the boards grad plan for the midweek runs: 60mins easy on Monday and Wednesday and a speed session on Tuesday

And then following hal higdons intermediate 1 for my weekend runs: up to 14 K on a Friday (sometimes at MP) and long run Saturday

Both plans (adjusted forward a day, to bring the long run to Saturdays) have a rest day Thursday and rest/cross/recovery on Sunday, so structure wise they are pretty similar

The boards plan step back weeks seem to be all looked after by shortening the long run, the HH plan also shortens the weekend runs so it should look after the step back

The boards plan only has me doing one 3 hour long run, which for me wouldn't be 20 miles. I know there is a school of thought that anything over 3 hours is too much, but I'm not sure I'm ready to take that leap!

It's a lot harder to plan long runs, especially if out with the group , using times runs rather than distances. If I'm on my own I can keep a fairly consistent pace overall so I can predict what distance a time would be, but not so much with the group.

I haven't drawn up exactly what the plan looks like in terms of distances per week or whatever.

Would be interested to hear what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I had the same challenge with the plan last year. I was concerned as a new enough runner that the mileage wasn't enough. I wound up adjusting the long runs to put extra distance on them to get the overall mileage up. I'll PM you a screenshot of what I did (it's rough and ready). My paces were probably a bit higher than yours so you might need to adjust yourself rather than copying directly. The advice I got at the time was that, at this stage of my running career 2x Marathons, that the mileage was most important, a cap can be fine in terms of time but maximising the mileage would reap the most benefits.

• Advertisement

I think time based is probably more relevant for the faster (less than sub 4hr) runners. I prefer distance over time based myself as I wouldn't be that fast.

Advertisement