Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I know what ya mean. Few reasons I went with a fluke dose.
    1) we had to take in one sheep from the field as she was very thin and off form.the inside of her eyelids were very pale which is one sign of fluke.

2) when I was handling them at shearing I felt a few with what I thought were small lumps under their jaw. Another possible symptom of fluke.

3) a few years back, around now or maybe a few weeks later, I thought the hoggets had worms as they weren’t thriving as well as I’d like. I took a dung sample and it was clean for worms but showed positive for fluke.

4) the sheep hadn’t got a fluke dose since well before lambing.

Talked to the vet and they recommended a liver fluke dose but also a rumen fluke dose as they are seeming a lot of that.
    I dosed them with endofluke in the end.

we wouldn’t have wet land but it’s a very wet year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Up here in NW if you have only middling ground you need to dose ewes for fluke right through the Summer in a wet year…….they can lose condition quickly if infested with fluke and they are trying to feed a lamb or lambs as well as looking after themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wouldnt be confident endofluke would be very effective, alot of resistance to triclabendazole based doses

a closantel based dose like flukivor would be a lot more effective in my opinion (Solantel is the same but can be lumpy and can block gun) or a Nitroxynil based injection like Fascionix 34% (formerly Trodax)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya I’ll see if they improve but I’ll keep that in mind 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

Question in relation to 5 star rams, bought 2 texle ram lambs at the sheep ireland sale last year, both were double 5 star at the time. I'm not happy with how these rams grew and think they're a bit short so plan on selling them. Are they still considered double 5 star or are they now just regular breeding rams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Jimbo789

you can go to the sheep Ireland website and in the ram search section put in the tag number of the ram in the search by ram id place.

It will show how many stars they have now and if they are still eligible for the SIS scheme. I don’t think the are any rules about the same ram being sold multiple times to satisfy the SIS criteria for each new owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

I'm very happy with the lambs from them, but the ewe lambs seem to be a bit short in themselves aswell so would just rather have a longer type of ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Got dung samples back from lambs that showed moderate level of coccidiosis.will vecoxan treat this or is it more of a prevention dose?..don't fancy the long withdrawal on bovicox as there will be a good few lambs fit in the flock in it over the next 3 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I did an FEC last week - tested for stomach worms & cocci. Tested positive for both. Dosed for stomach worms (clear dose)

Will test again after 2 weeks, to see how the dose did.

I didn't dose for cocci, as I read somewhere that cocci will always be present in low numbers, and only becomes a problem when something else is wrong. My hope is, the worm dose will clear them up and cocci will right itself…

I could be 100% wrong here - FEC results next week will tell I guess…

Lambs seem to be thriving, don't look drawn or dry in the wool that you sometimes see with cocci.

Would be interested to hear what others think, as I could be well wrong in what I did…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭148multi

II normally use zeleris and if that don't work, I use draxxin-tulaven. Some vets don't like to prescribe draxxin, but younger vet seem more open to it's use. As explained to me they prefer to restrict it's use to bulls with very bad pneumonia.

Neighbour's ram ended up in with mine for a month, Ewes quickly started getting lame, swollen pad on one side and holding hoof up with pain, was advised to treat as above, vet said draxxin-tulaven only one for CODD

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

My only knowledge of draxxin is cammy on the sheep game u tube uses it for lame ewes regularly..never had it down here in the sunny South East..my vet gives me oxy complex for persistent lame ones that blue spray doesn't solve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cocci shouldn't be a problem to lambs over 8 weeks of age

Hi all,

I have a dry hoggett who has been badly lame on a front foot for a fortnight.I suspected it might be footrot related as there was a bit of a smell from it.I injected her and a few other hoggetts with Draxin 10 days ago.All the other lame hoggetts are cured apart from this one sheep.

I caught her in the field yday evening, and she seems to have a soft tissue growth,

Just wondering with type of problem it is,should I give her Draxin again,,,,,,,or try something like aAlymycin LA 300?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Possibly CODD. if so cull her it's highly infectious.

Thanks for reply,don’t think it’s CODD.It’s more like the little pollop growth you see pedigree Suffolk rams having sometimes……which can be known as a granuloma..From middle part of underside of her foot there is a little growth protruding about a third of length of your little finger.

It was a good dry evening when I caught her so I sprayed Alamycin spray on it,to see if it might ‘dry’ it out.Didn’t want to repeat Draxin injection straight away as it can continue to work for up to 14 days after injection.Was just wondering if it might be an idea to try her with with more of a broad spectrum antibiotic.

What's the earliest you could wean lambs born from the 3rd week of March up to end of April?

I usually cut them off with the foot parer, spray with alamycin and inject with antibiotic and painkiller

Ten weeks would be as young as I'd like to wean on to grass. I wean when the average age is twelve weeks. some would be 10 weeks and some would be 14 weeks.

You could wean at 6 or 7 weeks if they were on ad lib meals, we wean the petlambs at 5 weeks approx on ad lib meals and they're the same weight as their comrades now

Will be putting her in with comrades to check her so will see if Alamycin spray from other day helped at all.

• Advertisement

Would stronng Iodine dry it up a bit I wonder?

Wrangler. Do they bleed.much when cut off?

Yea, they bleed a lot but it's a lot more painful to leave, I've never been able to cure it without cutting it off. It's caused by drawing blood when you're paring the foot, I've heard it called strawberry foot rot

Thanks for that.had it before but was afraid to cut..cruel to be kind I suppose..

Got the results from FEC test back there…

The original test showed

This test also listed “WORM EGG TYPE STRONGYLE 400 AND MONEZIA 800”

The test I did yesterday showed

This test lists “WORM EGG TYPE = MONEZIA”

Google tells me monezia is a tapeworm - so no impact on lambs? (I was told tapeworms don’t impact lambs?)

100% strongyle worm kill, which is good. The clear dose I used, doesn’t kill monezia - which is good I guess…

Now, coccidia went from 6000 to 1200, which still seems high. I was hoping it would drop more… The lambs are looking well, doing good enough I think. Some were a bit lose before the dose, but very clean now again - so happy with the dose overall.

The white dose I used a few weeks back for Nematodirus, does also kill monezia. But I am not sure it’s worth dosing them again…

The only thing is the coccidia, being a high count. But I am still inclined to leave them as is.

Thoughts?

What is the most sponged ewes lads have successfully ran with a ram? I won't have time to be taking them out as they are served..just letting him off in a small field to work away..mature ram..

Once the tapeworm eggs hatch out , numbers will explode into the thousands.

Coccidia shouldnt be a problem if the lambs immunity is good, the two parasites together might affect them though.

If they were mine I'd give them a yellow dose,,,, very easy lose a months thrive this time of year

Thabks Wrangler - not sure a yellow dose will kill tapeworms though?

Just looking at Levacide there, and I don’t see Monezia listed. I do see it listed as a worm a white dose will kill though…

So would I be better off going white dose to kill the tapeworm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

had 1000 tapeworm count this week all others low, discussion with vet decided go in with white dose yesterday. We decided based lambs only average 12 weeks old

Sorry, we don't have tapeworm here so wouldn't be up to speed, do you dose your dogs, for the cost of it's worth doing as tapeworm comes from them too,

We dose our dogs every three or four months and credit that with never having tape worm and all the sheep we had.

I know the general opinion is that they're harmless but 7-800 eggs hatching out and tapeworm are more prolific at laying eggs than ordinary worms and they can grow into big guys. You'll never see an ordinary worm in the dung but a tapeworm is quite visible

You should be happy enough that the clear dose took out all the ordinary worms (strongyles) clear dose is failing on a lot of farms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭joe35

After getting the Sheep shorn today. A lot of them with a yellow tint in their fleeces now. Any idea what it might be

Advertisement