Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Cant park permanently anywhere, you'd be in the move the whole time. Housing estate residents would be up in arms. Shopping centre management will move you on quickly.

Then there's the cost of buying the thing in the first place which could cost as much monthly as renting, with no guarantee that you'll get that money back if you sell.

No room to live in any sort of comfort either. They are for short holiday trips, they're not accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How much would something like this cost, would there be any change out of 150,000 €, plus charges to park up in a designated area

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I see this mentioned quite a bit- how will battery prices drop 40% in the next year or two?

Have massive deposits of lithium been discovered in countries that won’t hike up the price?
    Will solid state batteries be a thing?
    What’s bringing the price down 40% when the price of goods generally is trending up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

There is plenty of lithium around. Large deposits in some European countries like Portugal, Germany and Czechia. Portugal is the only country currently producing it. The high cost has nothing to with rarity (it isn't that rare), it's the cost of extracting it.

There are also battery technologies being developed that don't use lithium. Sodium-ion and graphene-aluminium are just two examples currently being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok but where are you getting the 40% drop in the cost of batteries from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not really the price of lithium that's affecting the cost of EV batteries, in 2022/23 we saw the price of lithium hydroxide go up by 4x which caused around a 10% increase in battery pack prices. The reason we're seeing drops in battery pack prices is due to innovation by battery manufacturers. The main focus has been on increasing energy density at a pack level, in laymans terms they are able to store more energy in a smaller area using less raw materials. They've been doing this for a long time with the more expensive NMC chemistry but have also been doing the same for LFP, and now the even cheaper sodium ion chemistries.

CATL and BYD are the worlds largest battery manufacturers, Chinese media reported that CATL's basic LFP VDA (rectangular boxes often used by German manufacturers) format dropped from 0.8-0.9 RMB/Wh to 0.4 RMB/Wh. This puts pressure on BYD to also pursue price reductions.

https://cnevpost.com/2024/01/17/battery-price-war-catl-byd-costs-down/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That I'm not sure of, I would think not under single market rules, but they plan to and nobody has told them not to yet

You can buy an electric van and convert it. Opel Vivaro E, Fiat E-Ducato go for about 50-60k, conversions to camper vans are about 10k then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

maybe of interest in the 2024 EV sales numbers:

they are down 27% overall, but they are only down 18% in Dublin, where over half the sales happen (EVs are a Dublin thing? 😉), whereas they are down by over 33% across the rest of the country, where you’d assume there’s far fewer home charging issues, but perhaps here’s a public charging network issue.

Or - people outside the commuter counties have seen or heard about EVs and decided it isn’t for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Next you'll be telling us that people in Offaly burn more turf than people in D4. 🤯 Shocked I am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

70k, 5 year finance at 14k a year plus interest, so about 1300/1400 a month to live in a van. Plus associated costs. And being treated like a traveler being told to move on everywhere you go.

I suppose you'll have some residuals and sell it on but it's lose lose every way you look at it.

Buy a clapped out van for 5k would be a better idea of it's to save money. And still nobody does it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

A lot do, it's called 'stealth camping'. For some it's a lifestyle choice, for others less so unfortunately. I read a blog a few years ago by some guy who was doing it in Dublin out of financial necessity and had been doing it for over a year.

https://www.vanhalla.ie/2018/08/for-urban-camping-its-curtains-for-me.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A proper campervan now, that you could actually live in, would cost north of 100k. But they don't give mortgages for campers, so you would need that cash upfront. Who , from the subset of folks that can't afford a house, has 100k+ in the bank?

I like the idea (and I have a 1989 Dodge Dayvan that I'm turning into a day-camper hybrid) but you'd need a lot more space even than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd rather not consider living in space the size of the back of a van!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

I regularly drive all over mainland Europe and I can assure you, there ain’t the volume of EVs that you’re implying.

Using France as an example, April sales were 60%+ petrol or petrol hybrid of some sort. What is noticeable is how low diesel sales are.

That's still a very high percentage compared to us and considering the French BEV fleet is somewhere less than 2% of the total.

Germany is considerably worse, and that's with VW, Mercedes and Tesla all manufacturing domestically.

And unlike here, the MY dominates the market over VW and the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

14k/ year is less than 1200/monthbut yes I agree… Few years time these EV vans will be going cheaply and I might look at converting one then as a pet project

The German BEV fleet is considerably larger than France. Must be close to three the times the size by now. Was over twice the size two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

There is the side that both France, Spain and Germany can argue (somewhat unsuccessfully) that their countries are too large to travel by EV. Irish people can’t really come out with similar.

My seat of pants feeling tells me that France is better equipped than most when it comes to public charging too which I’m sure helps the above market share figure.

Also cheaper public charging. There was a post here a few days ago about IECharge (French network that tends to install in suburbs but generally accessible from motorways) dropping their price from 30c to 25c/kWh from now until the end of August. And their chargers are generally in the 160kW+ range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭joe1303l

France has moved to E85 fuel in a big way, it was less than 90c per litre last time I was there.

most EU countries have EV market share similar to our 13%, with Italy at just 3%(!).

https://www.electromaps.com/en/blog/sales-of-electric-vehicles-in-europe-in-the-first-quarter-of-2024

Just back from the south of Spain, as I’m sure lots of us do, and its surprising how rare an EV is; esp compared to my Dublin commuter area, where they are literally a few on every street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i would consider those numbers to be pretty decent, they are certainly in a much better place than we are and going in the right direction…and what i mean by right direction is france's yoy 45.2% increase in ev sales compared our -41.6%.

saying that, randomly picking out one country is hardly the best way to counter what i'm saying. now just look at our contemporaries. the netherlands, BEV's made up 31% of new registrations last year. they alone have 58000+ public or semi public ev charging points in a country the size of munster. ok… the population is triple irelands but do we have 20,000 public or semi public chargers? i think we both know the answer. belgium has seen a similar increase in ev sales as france, in denmark 1 in 3 new cars bought are ev, sweden is smashing it out of the park as is finland and norway even more so. of all of our contemporaries only germany & austria recorded disappointing ev figures.

what all these countries have in common are governments who are backing the transition to ev with free road tax or no sales tax as is the case in the netherlands. we on the other hand withdrew incentives when in fact we should have been expanding them.

car companies are transitioning fast. the issue is in a country like ours with no car industry the international car companies call the shots. ev's are coming, the irish need to get used to the idea and the government needs to make it an urgent priority to ramp up support (more than they already do).

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I'd imagine we have more driveways per capita than the Netherlands so need less public chargers.

I agree that “EVs are coming and Irish people need to get used to it”, but in reality things are far more nuanced.

the majority of people will never buy a new car in their lifetime. Indeed almost all new cars are bought by the same small fraction of the population - Manufacturers selling to the same individuals every 3-5 years.

Also we’ve a national fleet of 2.5m vehicles. The tipping point is many many years away still, with most transactions in the car market happening in the €5-15k price point.

so yes, EVs are inevitable, however the rollout period is far more protracted than people think - and it has nothing to do with some ‘anti EV agenda’ 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

What will reduce the protracted period will be the cost of ownership. The older ice cars will be taxed out of oblivion with additional incentives put in place (possibly a scrappage scheme?) to encourage more drivers into new & second hand EV's.

The likes of 5 year old Dacia Springs and Byd dolphins will be in the 5-15k bracket by the end of the decade as will Seals, ioniq 5's etc etc.

Do you think the rollout will take a similar time frame as horse to petrol?

World War II delayed things a bit with the rationing of petrol, but by 1950 cars were more common than horse drawn transport especially in urban areas. (Although up until 1982 I used to go with my grandad when he was drawing timber from the bog with his donkey and cart, so outliers remained, but they were outliers)

The first car imported into Ireland was in 1898. In 1904, 38 motor vehicles were registered. This rose to 5,058 by 1911 and 19,554 in 1914. Not sure if that is total or per year, but either way, BEVs are now in the same place as petrol cars were in pre WWI days. So I'd be confident that within 30 years they will be ubiquitous. And by 2040 I would expect a lot of urban areas to have restrictions on ICEs.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

I'd expect to be much quicker than 2040.

The emissions law will see to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think in 5 years time there will be plenty of 2nd hand EVs for sale at 15k and under.

In theory, once 100% of new vehicles are EVs, then it should take 20 years to completely replace almost all ICEs with EVs (obviously a small % will remain forever). Also a significant % will be hybrid.

The elephant in the room is self driving cars. Will people bother buying a car if you can just subscribe to a service that's cheaper than running a car.

I think car sales will begin to drop when this happens. It might only be 5 years away.

Advertisement