Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Pretty sure Tyrone celebrated beating kerry in the SF back in 2021 also, must have been a different kind of celebrating though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

The cork game is definitely overinflated as a stick. lost away to cork on our 5th game in 6 weeks when cork had played 2. The Tyrone group result was 7pt win… This may sound weird but by comparison to Ulster it’s felt like a holiday and a complete breather since cork and I say that knowing we played the Munster/leinster finalists.

2 weeks off and Beat Clare by 20 something (when Kerry won by 7 if you’re worried about form), another 2 weeks beat Louth by 5, but let off the gas when 9 up (Dublin won a tight game by 4)…. It’s felt complete space to regroup than going straight for the next battle… but a battle I expect v Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah the Cork result is definitely one I wouldn't be paying that much attention to especially when you look at the three goals Cork scored. Donegal probably concede three goals as cheaply once in every thousand games. I'm expecting an all green and gold final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭C__MC

I don't see any issue with Galway celebrating a win over the greatest team of all time and a first win in 90 years. I genuinely feel kerry will stroll this to all Ireland, defensively they are sound and when there forward click they will be very hard to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

It wouldn't surprise me to see this final 10 years on. Knowing the mentality of McGuinness I would say that Kerry final is burned into his mind and annoys him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There's no characters in either code any more really. Trained to be passive and not give anything away to the media anyway.

Sure jaysus Cluxton is so set in his ways pre-game he couldn't even give a cursory applause to Michèal when the stadium bursted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kerry will get their fill of it from Armagh. It could go either way but I have a sneaky feeling Armagh will beat them. They are only coming to the boil and have lots in the tank. Donegal and Galway is another tough one to call. Galway fought really hard and deserved to beat Dublin but Donegal never left second gear against Louth. DI might have a little wager on an all Ulster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think if Armagh are to have any chance they need couple goals and keep green flag down at other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone else finding it hard to identify clear-cut All Stars with three matches to go? Teams evenly matched in terms of no real stand-out POTY, and a few bigger names not catching fire yet. My effort:

Patton

D.McHugh

McCole

O'Sullivan

R.McHugh

T.Kelly

Mogan

Durnin

Conroy

Brosnan

Maher

Gallen

O'Callaghan

Mulroy

Tubritt

Plenty of football to play yet, but a good spread there, including the token awards for the surprise packets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭spurshero

as a galway man I think Johnny McGrath has being outstanding at corner back all season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭C__MC

Will be definitely between Patton blaine Hughes and Shane Ryan for keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's impossible to say cos the majority always come from the finalists.

McDaid for Galway is in with a shout.

David Clifford on current form wouldn't get an all star but two big performances and he could get POTY again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Be nice to see a Louth player win an All Star but cannot really see it. Don't know if any All Ire quarter final losers ever received an All Star. As usiual it will be a large percentage of the two All Ire finalists with a sprinkling of semin final losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The majority come from the semi finalists but there is always one, maybe two from somewhere else.

But why would the likes of Mulroy get one over the likes of Ryan O'Donoghue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

For R McHugh above, I presume you really mean Dylan McHugh? He and Johnny McGrath should be near certainties from a Galway POV. Sean Mulkerrin, if he continues his current trajectory, must come into the reckoning, ditto McDaid and Jack Glynn. Why not the much-maligned Conor Gleeson? One preventable goal apart, he's been the essence of soundness all championship.

But it's from now on the All-Stars are really won.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Anyone know if Upper Hogan tickets went on sale for Donegal v Galway? There's not many tickets left as things stand and just wondering if that's because they haven't opened up the Upper Hogan yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I don't think they'll open up till next week when tickets get returned by clubs. They'll try flog as much Upper and Lower Davins as possible in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,677 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mulroy definitely deserves one. But the all stars are hard awards to take seriously when the picks are normally lazy/political/players are moved around to accommodate/sympathy votes.

I only used to pay attention to all stars when Dublin were struggling to win Sam/even Leinster looking for hope. But that whole award system is fundamentally flawed, let’s be honest.

Instead there should be awards for div 1/div2/div3/div4 and an overall team picked from that voted for by players.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

That's what I'm hoping too!

Hard to see it being anywhere near a sell out.

• Advertisement

I would argue that Mulroy is far more integral to Louth and has done more work for his team than O'Donoghue will lesser players around him. I said it a few years ago to I said a Louth fan when I saw Mulroy taking on the Dublin side on his own. The Louth fan says that is not how it works works with all stars and is never likely to get one.

Unfortunately he was correct all know how the all stars work. Around 7/8 from the AI winners around 5/6 from the AI runners up the rest made up of the odd Quarter Finalist. Normally performances early in the championship are conveniently forgotten about. Leading to a massive recency bias with the all-stars weighted towards the finalists. Basically it is why the all stars are a farce really. How many people take them seriously? At most it is a nice do for the players involved getting a bit of grub, and the wives/girlfriends can get dolled up. But for a REAL indicator of the best players of the season it is archaic/predictible/flawed. The league which is a much better indicator for performance is never taken into account.

They could easily weight teams and points/performances against more difficult sides in the championship could be totted up accordingly Mulroy for example, and league form should also be factored in. So then how Galway/Mayo played against NY can be properly weighted as well for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Too right. Can't take the All-Stars seriously at all. I would love if it took into account the league and all of the Championship. Gives a chance for standout performers from the lesser counties to get an all-star. The likes of exceptional talent like Mattie Forde would have had more chances to get the accolade. Mattie got one All-Star I think. But was a standout player for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have said here earlier that for me the dark horse in this race is Armagh. Defensively the are probably the strongest team left and if McGeeney was to let them off the leash to go after Kerry, similar to how they played against Derry. they have also the midfield and forwards to cause Kerry real problems. But McGeeney being McGeeney, after Sunday in Croke Park watching the Kerry Derry game, that is a long shot imo. It will probably result in another stinker of a game (and Derry were not the only culprits) with Armagh defending in numbers with little ambition up until the final quarter. Armagh will not fade off as Derry did for a final quarter, but then neither are they strong in seeing tight games out.

No idea what McGuinness was up to on Sunday, but when Conor O`Donnell was named at corner back it was fairly obvious he was going for a shoot out confident that Donegal would win. As it turned out they were never in any danger of losing and Galway would have learned little. It`s not going to be the game plan for Galway. Unfortunately I cannot see Galway being as poor as they were against Dublin in the first half, or Finnerty, Tierney and even Comer being as poor as they were on the Saturday. For Donegal this is bonus territory way beyond any expectations just a few months ago so probably less pressure than for Galway. For me a Donegal win is more hope than expectation if I`m honest

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭GBXI

Ah stop, Ryan has been average this year. His top scorer stat is completely skewed by the New York game. If there aren't 6 better forwards than him this then it's been a bad year for football.

I don't get the Armagh hype. They had a good Ulster final but Galway were cruising against them this year before falling apart at the end and Armagh got the draw. I think the other 3 teams are much better than Armagh, and especially Kerry. You are right they will be ultra defensive versus Kerry because they don't have the players. Rian O'Neill got subbed against Roscommon!! But Kerry can play it any way and the only way that defensive approach gives them a chance is if it's an absolute wash out with high winds in Croke park. A dry day and I can only see one winner and that's by 5+ points.

There is something really wrong with the system when the likes of Mulroy/Mattie Forde are "lucky" if they get the one all star.

"Nominations" seem to be the only acclaim lads that expect to receive normally. I think it is very unfair anyway. But as usual with the GAA the status quo stays for a long as possible.

To be honest I am amazed the intercounty player base has not complained about the All-Star system. I can see why it worked years ago when the Provincials were major competitions in their own right, and the league was only an afterthought. But times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

The only player i can remember who won not just one but two All Stars without his county winning a provincial or going far in the championship was Tipperary's Declan Browne. A gifted, two footed genius. He bucked the trend.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I agree with you. Armagh didn't see off a 14 man Roscommon until near enough the end when they got a goal. I don't think they are anywhere near as good as Donegal, Galway or Kerry. I'm hoping for a Galway Kerry final. Donegal would be sufferable as they do play some good football. But god forbid Armagh to be in the final. Would be some dour affair.

In my opinion the Armagh match for Kerry is like a bye to the final. Armagh are blessed to have got this far as it is. In my view Armagh are THE most frustrating team to watch in the country.

Their fans don't even like watching them. "10 years without winning anything" an Armagh fan roared after losing the div2 final. He roared "We were passing it backwards when we were way behind". And the Armagh fan was quiet all the way through the match until then when he lost the head at the final whistle.

Kerry will pick off scores while Armagh go sideways and and backwards, sideways and and backwards, sideways and and backwards, sideways and and backwards, all at a really slow pace.

Then Armagh will only decide to attack in the last 10 minutes when it will be way too late. It will be that easy for Kerry they will be able to empty the bench at about 50 minutes, safe in the knowledge that the match is over as a contest. The Kerry jersey won't even have any sweat in them.

• Advertisement

Poor McGuinness's reputation precedes him! Donegal, in my opinion, play a really exciting brand of football. They attack at pace from all over the pitch and they take lots of shots from distance. Armagh certainly don't do that and Galway are actually quite defensive as well but they have Walsh, Comer, and Finnerty so one good kick pass into the forward line and something magic can happen. It would be a huge story if Donegal were to win only their 3rd ever All Ireland.

Advertisement