Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have been looking at the possibility of domestic heat and electricity setup.

Now my gas cost is, let us say, 12c per Kw/h but my electricity is, say 36c per kwh.

So if I invest in a generator running off the gas providing, say 5 kw of electricity, with an efficiency of 33%, there will be 10 kw of heat produced. Assuming, the electricity is fed to a battery storage system for future use, that would mean the electricity is the same as off-grid price, but the heat is free. The generator would be on demand.

Add in a few KW of solar for summer electricity and I am sorted.

Does that make sense?

[Genuine question - of course I am a long way from even more than thinking about it. I would need a solar setup with battery storage, a gas powered generator with heat recovery and distribution and a diverter to push energy to the most appropriate recipient - plus a clever control setup.]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Gallanstown = Ballymacarney

https://www.gem.wiki/Ballymacarney_solar_farm

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ballymacarney,+Co.+Meath/@53.4451423,-6.3827582,2596m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x4867133d63337f5f:0xf2436d34a143396d!8m2!3d53.4491707!4d-6.3751543!16s%2Fg%2F119t_bcdm?entry=ttu

There is an interactive map of solar farms from SEAI here - https://gis.seai.ie/solar/ but not entirely up-to-date, so Tullabeg is missing.

SEMO seems to suggest Tullabeg operational since December

https://www.sem-o.com/documents/market-operator-performance/Market-Operator-Quarterly-Performance-Report-October-December-2023.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Would be deadly if you had lots of food waste to make biogas from. I think Mr. Heat Geek had a Panasonic micro CHP but that splits methane and uses the hydrogen in a fuel cell rather than burning the methane/natural gas.

He got rid of it and replaced it with a heat pump!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course, if I had a heat pump added to my generator so the mechanical power could provide the heat pump element with its power instead of electricity.

So I would have (in my theoretical) combined heat and power setup - a natural gas powered engine providing the energy for a generator at one end, and a heat pump at the other. The waste heat from the engine providing space heating for the premises.

Of course the spare heat from the engine would boost the heat pump efficiency.

In terms of cost, gas is a third of the retail price of electricity such that gas can generate electricity at lower cost than the retail price of grid electricity, despite the huge losses in efficiency of generation - even if those losses exceed 60%.

It is worth thinking about. If solar panels are added to the mix, it makes even more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Financially it's hard to justify. Even ignoring the price volatility of gas, the savings are so small you wouldn't recoup capital costs in the life of the generator.

They very best domestic-sized gas generators are 60% efficient, but cost a fortune. I'll use 66% efficiency (1.5 kWh gas in = 1kWh electric out) to make the sums easy, but you will not achieve that.

So, if gas is 12c, you're getting daytime electricity at 18c/kWh by running a generator. As of today, Yuno Energy can sell you electricity at 25c/kWh (24h pricing; rural and urban are same), so you save 7c per unit by generating it yourself.

7c saving per unit, assuming a 4000 kWh/yr usage is a grand saving of €280/year. How much was that generator again? And don't forget what you paid the plumber to connect it to your gas supply and the electrician to wire it in to your home electrics.

There's a small finacial argument for using gas to to run a heat-pump, which is what industrial CHP systems do, but in your version, you won't capture the combustion great from the generator. Also, if you arrive at the point where you're only using gas as generation fuel, consider that you're now paying two standing charges for your "electricity" : one to your gas provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,058 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Sceirde Rocks project was also subject of a recent TG4 report - similar to above, mentioned at end of report of likely submission within 2 months

Shannon Airport applying for planning for a 1.5MW solar farm:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2024/06/21/shannon-airport-seeks-green-light-for-solar-farm-plan/

Not just ROI where infrastructure planning is complicated - the Islandmagee gas caverns project in NI hits another legal obstacle

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c897gj3r9wlo

And the Silvermines Hydro project progresses slowly forward through ABP
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/more/renewables/major-tipperary-hydro-project-edges-closer-818503

I am only doing a thought experiment.

On your figures, I am getting 4,000 kwh from my generator, but I am also getting 2,000 kwh of heat which you have not costed in. Also, using the mechanical drive from the generator to run the heat pump, and the excess heat, I will get even more heat.

I get the point about capital cost.

You're basically taking about a high end CHP installation. These don't scale down well, so the capital cost would make this uneconomical, especially as a retrofit.

Well, scale it up to a hospital. If gas is 33% of the cost of grid electricity, then using natural gas to power a generator at an efficiency of greater than 50% gives electricity at 33% off plus a load of free heat.

Of course, it would be tricky balancing electric demand with heat demand, but if the heat is free, then so what. Add a significant solar installation, then summer is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭Shoog

It is now quite common for firms to pay private firms to run on site CHP units for all their energy needs. They tend to come packaged in shipping containers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I found a more accurate/comprehensive source for what's connected (with timelines) to the grid via Eirgrid's "System and Renewable Data Reports" - https://www.eirgrid.ie/grid/system-and-renewable-data-reports

The main solar farms in ROI/NI are:

And they have a list of smaller scale operations as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tarant

How realistic is the €0/MWh?

Have not seen this in a long time.

Portugal/Spain are at it frequently also Hungary sometimes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wind and solar in the UK yesterday. It's the middle of summer but they are still rolling out lots more renewables.

The market for dispatchable sources at peak demand were CCGT at a little over 2GW and Biomass at just under 1GW. And some of that would be needed for local grid stability so only local sources could compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, it does seem counter-intuitive to spend heaps of money on power plant types that will be useless when they're needed the most - during winter blocking anti-cyclones. And it's not going to be cheap either - wind mills tend to need to be built far from where the energy is needed so there is a need to massively expand the power grid to accommodate them.

Indeed, I've been getting ads on Youtube from a crowd called buildourgrid.ie which as you can imagine calls for large scale spending on new power lines, substations and energy storage systems for (you guessed it) weather-dependent renewables.

Which is interesting because a lot of the things that have been discussed as complimentary technologies for renewables (batteries, hydrogen, sunlight-to-fuels etc) have not exactly been proven on a large scale, and that's being generous.

More to the point, for the time and money all this will take, we will still not quite have accomplished what the French, Swedes and Swiss inter alia achieved in terms of decarbonisation half a century ago back when, for reference, Brezhnev was running the Soviet Union.

It would be interesting to see how much wind power output there was on the 24th through the 29th of December 2010. I looked but couldn't find any such data. More broadly though, you can't deny that wind output during bad winters in the best case amounts to sod-all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The French,Swedes and Swiss have dispatchable hydro resources we could only dream of and synchronous connections to their neighbours.

The first major wave of decarbonisation in the UK and US and elsewhere only started when natural gas started replacing old coal. The best CCGT power plants would save up to 75% of the emissions compared to old coal.

The second wave of decarbonisation is happening now with renewables displacing the rest of the coal and eating into gas.

If the best example you can give is less than a week long, fourteen years ago and you don't know how much output dropped or even if it did and bearing in mind we have other renewables and imports and demand shedding before we begin to start to dip into the emission producing generators which we will be allowed to use until 2050, it's not sounding like the problem you are trying to make it out to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

it's not going to be cheap either - wind mills tend to need to be built far from where the energy is needed so there is a need to massively expand the power grid to accommodate them.

That simply isn’t true in the case of Ireland.

It sounds like you read about some challenges in the US, where sometimes the best renewable locations can be over 1,000 miles from the big cities, but that definitely isn’t an issue for Ireland.

Even West coast to East Coast of Ireland would be considered your back garden in terms of energy grids and this issue.

Never mind the fact that we can build vast amounts of of off shore wind in the Irish Sea very close to Dublin and then there is Dublin and Wicklow mountains and all the onshore wind farms very close by in the midlands.

Finally you can stick solar panels on the roof any building.

There are few countries in the world where this is less of a problem!

https://map.4coffshore.com/offshorewind/ proposed offshore wind farm locations.

Most of the population lives on the East coast and down round the south coast. The stuff off Clare wouldn't be that far from the 400KV connections at Moneypoint either.

East Cost to a depth of 24 meters (same as Suez Canal) There's lots of shallow sandbanks at an appropriate distance offshore, very low hanging fruit. https://www.infomar.ie/maps/interactive-maps/dynamic-bathymetric-viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

And it's not going to be cheap either - wind mills tend to need

Difficult to take an opinion about renewables seriously when the simplest, most basic, terms are misused:

Mill - noun (1) ; a · a machine or apparatus for grinding grain ; b · a device or machine for reducing something (as by crushing or grinding) to small pieces or particles.

• Advertisement

Germany , first half of 2024 Hydro = coal. Solar has nearly caught up with lignite (see below). Biomass produced 80% as much as natural gas.

On top of that Wind on it's own produced more than all the fossil fuel combined (73.4TWh vs 70.6 TWh)

By the end of May 2024, 6.2 GW of PV were installed in Germany. Planned total expansion for 2024 is 12.5 GW, which would bring the total installed PV capacity to 88.9 GW

Yes, I've come to realise that science and engineering aren't the strongpoints of those who strongly oppose renewable energy. Windfarms use turbines, just like every kind of electricity generation except PV solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Thanks for posing that article some fascinating stats there:

a record expansion of 15.3 gigawatts (GW) of solar PV capacity in 2023 [and] growth remains strong in 2024

In the first half of 2024, storage systems with … a capacity of 2.5 GWh were connected to the grid

Due to the favourable electricity prices of wind and hydropower in Scandinavia, electricity imports were cheaper than electricity from German coal and gas-fired power plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭gjim

I don't the tone of this article. Why are super low prices (they haven't reached negative territory) viewed so negatively? The article writer seems more concerned that solar operators are struggling to make a profit.

It's exactly what you'd hope to happen in a competitive market - there shouldn't be easy profits around for producers.

Low wholesale prices eventually feed into lower non-wholesale/domestic tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Unfortunately in terms of your last paragraph there is little evidence for that happening anywhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

The tone of that article is reasonable considering that BusinessInsider's target market are investors, not consumers.

Indeed - in a situation where you're relying on the private sector to create your renewable generation, the private sector will not invest if it is going to lose money on the proposition.

However, the article is more optimistic in the longer term:

focus is likely to move onto improvements that will make more use of the energy produced, such as investments in batteries and grid infrastructure.

"This will over time exhaust the availability of 'free power' and drive solar-hour-power-prices back up," Schieldrop wrote. "This again will then eventually open for renewed growth in solar power capacity growth."

So, investment will switch to storage in the short term, and then switch back when the storage can act a customer for the solar.

The storage centres will be like the turf sheds of yore - a place where your potential energy is stored in Summer to be used in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tarant

https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news/worlds-largest-sodium-ion-battery-project-starts-operation-in-china

100MW / 200MWh (charge rate of 1/2C or fully charged in 2 hours)

85% efficiency from -20 Celsius to +60 Celsius

1500 cycles (to 80%, hopefully that will improve, LFP is usually 4-6000)

I am really hoping for this to take of.

Sodium Ion Battery material cost should be 30% cheaper than LFP batteries, if it fellows the industrial path of LFP which where at $70/kWh at the beginning of the Year, but dropping fast. Some expect LFP to drop below $40 by next year. Sodium Ion can essentially be build with the same equipment as LFP. Also the material (mostly sodium and manganese or phosphor) are widely available and easily synthesised. They are also very safe environmental, thermal and voltage wise.

Back of the napkin calculation: 50€ material 50€ everything else is 100€/kWh, buy/charge for 0.0545€ sell for 0.21€(85% efficiency) = .15€ profit. In 1500 days or 4.5 years turn 100€ into 225€ (and still have 80% battery left)

I guess grid scale whole sale price differences are seldom 100€/MWh within 24 hours, apart where there is a dominate Solar production.

• Advertisement

New data from the EPA on greenhouse gas emissions: the Director General of the Environmental Protection Agency has said [that] "Right across society, we're seeing very, very significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, now at their lowest in 30 years". This is the most positive message the agency has been able to deliver in all her time at the helm since her appointment in 2011.

The star performer … was the energy industry, where emissions went down by 21.6%. This was the result of … an increase in imported electricity combined with an enormous renewable electricity contribution from wind and solar, as well as a reduction in the use of non-renewable energy sources such as coal, oil and peat.

The actual figures are: Reductions in coal (-44%), oil (-78%), peat (-33%), and natural gas (-7%) in electricity generation. Renewable share increased from 39% to 41%. Imported electricity now 9.5%.

Advertisement