Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,528 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unless its under 140 characters or a meme theres plenty that those folks aint reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The debate as it happened is already the best result possible for Trump though. If Biden was in better form on the second attempt it could only lessen the effect. The Trump campaign already has enough footage for attack ads to last until election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Biden's campaign also needs to hope nothing goes wrong between now and election day, people with dementia can manage for a long time in a familiar setting.

Biden will be doing interviews,new locations etc regularly.

The risk of a fall. Episode of disorientation, very high.

Seems that they are going to try get him formally nominated this month. Avoid any chance of anti dementia activists in the party nominating an alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

There's no conspiracy, they're quite proud about it. Have you done any research on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I only have experience with dementia through two of my grandparents and TBH, we didn't pick up on my grandfather having it until it was quite far along because he was a quiet man and lived in a very set routine. It was only when he was taken into new surroundings that the repetition and confusion was very apparent. He could read the paper and talk about what he was reading even when he couldn't tell you where he was or what day it was. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If Biden and his campaign managers wanted to right the ship they would need to show how he is without stage managing and without a script. How does he react to people on the street throwing questions his way? Even at that, they could have him tap-dancing while reciting the pledge of allegiance backwards in French and the footage of the debate will still be out there to haunt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

From cold to jetlag, more excuses from his handlers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

He never said it was a new thing. He was making an observation. Do you get pleasure from trying to belittle people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's impressive. Gone from a cold to too much prep work (bad advisers) to jetlag. Will give them points for variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭hometruths

Whether it's a cold or too much prep work or jet lag, you'd like to think that a functioning President could cope with all of them.

I don't think any of these explanations makes the situation any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Unsurprisingly the 81 year old man is tired and in need of rest, nobody thought any differently Joe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's like we are in some bizzaro alternate universe where he didn't literally try to overturn the result of the last election or something…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a bit less sarcasm, more clear sentences please

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Biden is done (no way would any elected Democrat break cover like Doggett did yesterday otherwise). He has lost his party, he has lost the media and he is losing the voters. He is not tenable any longer and, after the inevitable soul-searching, will make a hopefully dignified exit that preserves his historical legacy and then throw the nomination open.

So who will get it? I don't see Harris as a viable candidate and would see one of the prominent Governors as a more likely winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Doth protest too much methinks.

They’re avoiding the elephant in the room- regardless of what medical condition Biden has or doesn’t have, it’s very clear and has been for some time now, that Biden requires careful handling, management and control whilst in public well over and above what any other President in modern times requires.

The more they’re trying to say “there’s nothing wrong”, the more the public no less Democrats themselves, are shaking their heads in despair.

We’re not bloody stupid- I’ve experienced dementia with countless relatives - I’m not saying Biden has dementia because I’m not a doctor but it’s bloody obvious to me that he’s exhibiting signs of behaviour that are commensurate with a dementia type illness.

His handlers are pretty much lying to the public at this stage- the public have made up their mind that this person is not fit to govern and I don’t blame them. Biden must go and go now- it’s more than likely his condition will worsen in the next 6 months - on a human level alone, that’s not fair on Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭ronjo

Fingers crossed he does….. I would obvsiously hope he wins if he stays in (due to alternative) but its not remotely feasible to think he could be running the country in 4 years time.

It's amazing how quickly your political capital can ebb away and we are seeing Biden's dissipate into the Potomac.

I think a lot of people were ignoring it to some extent before the debate. Even this thread, the increase in people who seem to be supporting Trump seems to have risen massively here. Also the amount of posts on Biden thread have increased dramatically.

Its likely because they have finally something to get their teeth into finally… Trump not in court at moment, no judge calling him a rapist for a while, been a week or so since he had a rambling speech, sentencing hasnt happened yet.

Its a good week for Trump supporters and they are definitely getting much louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can't really see Biden standing down due to the noises coming out of his camp and also the script that outlets like MSNBC are reading from.

If he is not to be the Dem nominee, someone's probably going to have to get a bit ruthless about it. Not suggesting a mysterious white powder slipped into his coffee or anything, but something which forces him to retire from politics.

• Advertisement

You are very possibly right but it would be seen as a massive boost to the Dems I think.

Especially if it was agreed that he was "annointing" the successor with no real objections to who it is.

One party could then claim they are putting the country absolutely first.

I actually completely disagree with your last statement - and this is why:

up until last Thursday night, Trump (himself a terrible, fatally flawed candidate) was running against an opponent who was himself diminished both in political and personal terms. This was good news for Trump and even more so after the debate. Literally all their campaigning could now take the form of running Biden debate videos on a loop and saying 'do you really want this confused old man to be leader of the free world?'. The GOP campaign was, at that point, a slam dunk and they were eyeing up potential control of all three branches.

Now however, with Biden's imminent departure, the scene has shifted. Trump will be up against a much younger, baggage-free opponent. Someone like Newsom or Whitmer would roast him alive on character, democracy and Roe. You can actually see the nervousness and realisation of this starting to creep into the MAGA consciousness.

Another point I'd like to make is this: Americans like change and younger candidates. Bill Clinton, George W Bush, Obama and yes, Trump, are all recent examples of relative younger outsiders coming from nowhere to take the White House against more established opponents.

So in my view, the chaos and disarray of the last few days will resolve itself into a much more favourable outcome. We will get a vigorous new candidate who will defeat Trump handily and Biden will be remembered fondly as a good president and a good man who had the courage and the wisdom to place the national interest above his own.

Fair point but its only true if Biden does pull out. which at the moment is a big IF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Biden is very fortunate to have Trump as an opponent. A less toxic GOP ticket would be having a field day.

I guess we will have to watch this space. 😉

But if you read between the lines, he is gone and that reality will bite. Pelosi's comment yesterday was very revealing I thought.

What did she say? I deleted twitter about 2 weeks ago so get most of my news on election from here.

The amount of media briefing against Biden and his team is off the charts (by his own White House team, by his own elected Reps and by grandees such as Pelosi). The tone has completely shifted.

If you want an Irish analogy, this reminds me very much of the morning after Cowen's drunken radio interview!

from the NYT:

Representative Nancy Pelosi, Democrat of California and the former speaker, said on Tuesday that it was “legitimate” to ask whether Mr. Biden’s bad night at the debate was a one-time flub or “a condition” — though she added that Mr. Trump should have to answer the same question about the falsehoods he uttered.

I think it’s a legitimate question to say is this an episode or is this a condition,” Ms. Pelosi said in her first extended remarks since Mr. Biden’s halting and disjointed performance at the debate.

“When people ask that question, it’s legitimate — of both candidates,” she added. “What we saw on the other side was lying.”

Decode those words into plain English and it's clear what she is signalling.

The presidency is literally there for the taking.

I want to see some ruthlessness from the Dem side about grabbing that opportunity. Nice guys finish last.

• Advertisement

I really dont know if its too late but I agree on this.

Its absolutely crucial though that they have consensus if Biden does pull out.

Advertisement