Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tinted number plates

• 25-07-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What is the story with them? Are people actually getting away with having them? its taking the piss in my opinion as are the people with no front number plate.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Motors.

Local charter now applies.

Hilda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I don't know how are they allowed. Difficult to read.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I kind of like them, but they're not legal. You've the hassle of changing for the nct. I asked a guy who has a load of his cars with them (business) and he doesn't get hassle from the police. I expect if you do get pulled for something genuine they'll add it to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

would a speed camera be able to read them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a legally defined number plate and anything that doesn't conform is illegal.

NCT can and do fail non legal plates.

On the road AGS generally don't bother unless the vehicle is stopped for some other reason.

Multi agency checkpoints including Revenue Commissioners will issue fines.

I think the next fad will be no plates at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I wondered just that myself this morning as I saw the third truck in as many journeys without a number plate on the trailer.

Was on the cab though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,576 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Back in the late 80's people would buy a new car in November/December and drive around in it with "For Reg" as the number plate until January when they would register the car, thus getting them a car cheaper because dealers gave better deals at year end. This was eventually clamped down on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sometimes trucks forget or the reg falls off

Other times there is no way to hold the reg on the trailer as shape is wrong or fixings are missing. No excuse but I think there is mitigating circumstances. They may pull multiple trailers per day and it's hassle to create a holder on old worn trailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭goochy

saw a 231 BMW SUV - WHITE with no plate with just black 231 C xxx - no euro or county name - it looked really well on a white car but obviously totally illegal and dont approve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those were probably just garage display plates. Car could have been out on a test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just curious if there is anything like this outside of Ireland. I'm sure it happens in countries lower down on the development index, but for sake of argument, has anyone ever seen unapproved number plates in another OECD country?

I know I'm more likely to see this sort of thing in Ireland as I live here, but I've travelled a reasonable bit and never seen modified plates in any other country. The closest I've seen is personalised "cherished" plates in the UK, but they're still legal, and conform to the law on size, font, colour, etc.

Ireland seems to be a free-for-all... grey-tinted plates, yellow plates (a Donegal and Monaghan specialty), and squirly unreadable fancy handwriting fonts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres plenty of illegal plates in the UK, incorrect spacing, incorrect sizing, 4D etc.

I saw a 07 turned into Q7 on a BMW once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Plenty of the significantly raised 3d plates in the Netherlands last few times I've been there. Haven't seen italics though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I assume the motorist concerned informs their insurer that they are not complying with legislation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's revenue legislation so it won't have any repercussions for insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They don’t look as bad on the Dutch plates for some reason, think the font is different or they don’t have the letters as thick as you see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

unreal, dont know what the craic is.... maybe it's a monkey see, monkey do kind of thing.... like smoking back in the day lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Where do people get these tinted plates in the first place.

Can they be read by speed cameras?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

This should be a no BS policy specific design, font size and even the smallest change from it is penalty and fines.

There are plenty of vanity plates on the road and most have in the slightest way reduced the font size or introduced flourishes and italics that overall make the reg harder to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Seen a good few black on dark grey plates that are barely legible, a sign of the increasingly lawlessness on the road.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭goochy

Yes and on new cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭SVI40

I travel the M50 every weekday for work, and the amount of trailers with no registration plate, or one not matching the cab is getting more and more common. It's like the drivers don't care, as the chances of being pulled over are probably zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭kaahooters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

The ones with the plates obscured with muck and dust are crafty enough

ive started to see a lot of people with the "4d" plates with numbers "missing", but differing on front and back plates.

ie.

221 d 12345 would be the plate

front might be
    221 d 2 45

back might be

2 1 d 123 5

might be crap plates, but, ive seen it a lot more then i thought i would just in the past week.

Is there widespread attempts at evading cameras going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've seen that on a car that regularly parks near me, but a few days later it was complete again. Just crap plates with number falling off I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

Gardai should be enforcing it. If you're trying to reduce the contrast of your reg, you have something to hide. California for example allow you to pay per year, for Black/Yellow plate. Good contrast, looks good on black cars.

In any case, if you wanted to evade cameras, there is a much easier way to do so than to use a dark plate. I've designed targets to test infrared cameras, and it's far easier to do than you'd think.

• Advertisement

To test the image quality of a camera, you can point it at a paper target with different features printed on it, and check how those features look on screen.

If it's an infrared camera (M50 toll / speed camera) that you're testing, and you use the wrong type of ink, most of the infrared light will pass through it, and it'll be difficult/impossible to see the features (ie: reg plate) from the camera, but you can easily see with your eyes.

Similar to how the black plastic numbering used on 4D reg plate, might just happen 👀 to be the same material that's used on the tip of a TV remote control. (black to your eyes, but transmissive to IR light).

Not really crafty as you can be fined for a dirty number plate.

saw a van that had a bull bar blocking his front plate.

yea, not so much, if you can take a picture with your phone camera, itll show up on the speedin cams,

In the day time, yes. At night, it's very easy to defeat an Infrared camera, as the LEDs only illuminate above a certain wavelength, to prevent blinding drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭flyer_query

To those replying that a camera can read them you seem to think that this makes it ok, it doesn't, besides it being illegal its crucial that a number plate can be read by the naked eye for a multitude of reasons.

Besides the illegality of it, they also fail the taste test, these number plates along with the gel plate and German ones just look distasteful and tacky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,541 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This.

A plate of a car that can't be read easily in low light shouldn't be allowed on the road. Those tinted ones look nearly completely black in some lighting conditions or viewed from certain angles.

They are dark alright but why do people care so much. Focus on your own problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have seen a new 24 reg BMW in Kildare…

an old guy driving it… the EU flag part of the plate was black.

Someone like that is trying be cool, but is that a legal plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

If someone hit you or your car on the road and drove off, you might want to know who did it, no?

That is literally the only argument anyone on here can ever come up with when it comes to illegal plates. Its a hypothetical scenario which is so unlikely to ever happen.

First of all you need to get crashed into, then they need to drive off, and they need to have illegal plates, and you need to have been able to read them if they hadn’t been illegal. I mean come on, what are the chances. Just get on with life and stop worrying about dark reg plates

There are crashes, big and small, every day of the week on the roads.

There's hit and runs, sometimes fatal, maybe once a fortnight. So nah its not important at all to guards when they look for people's dash cam footage after an accident where people were seriously injured or got killed. Nah man they only do it for a laugh.

Grow the fk up, will you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've always wondered about those 4D plates. How are they moving through time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

77 turned into TT on an Audi

007 on an Aston Martin by including non regulation spacing

• Advertisement
Advertisement