Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is everybody broke?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,150 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Your landlords mortgage won't pay itself you know. Won't anyone think of the poor landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Many landlords own their properties debt free and its paying for a 242 Jeep or cruise more likely

• Registered Users Posts: 16,150 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Got to keep them in the lifestyle they're accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

We're all partying

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's disgraceful that someone can pay 2k per month rent but the bank won't give them a mortgage for 1100 or 1200. That's just completely wrong.

Yep, this is a truly shocking state of affairs…. people getting refused a mortgage because the bank feel they can't make payments of €1200/pm, yet those same people are paying rents of €2k and above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not querying the earnings figures. I'm querying the disposable income figures, the subject of this thread. That after essential expenditure is taken care of, how much money is left as disposable income i.e. are people broke?

I don't believe there can be any reliable measure of this, just estimates. There is no systematic population wide collection of such data. My essential expenditure likely differs widely from yours and yours from others. Therefore disposable income can vary wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

These threads are always fascinating. It's almost self-selecting people from both extremes (those that are fighting to survive, and those that are awash with cash earnings 6 figures).

The truth lies somewhere in the middle I think and really depends on your lifestyle and your outlook and how much value you put on things.

For example you'll have people who watch every penny and still be poor, or others that'll watch every penny and make sure every penny has a job to live and plan for the future.

On the other hand, Ireland has a super highly educated workforce (mainly tech/pharma/legal) where salaries are super competitive. And in this bracket again you'll have people who'll be poor due to lifestyle creep and those that spend frivolously but still plan for the future.

I'm in the latter portion here, I earn well but I'm frugal as feck. I'd pick a penny off the floor where others would walk over it. I'm smart when it comes to spending, every euro of my pay cheque has a job, I separate my outgoings into needs and wants and make sure that all my needs (housing/future/food/transport) are taken care of before a single euro is spent elsewhere). I have a buffer fund that anything unforeseen is taken out of and is topped up over the next few months (car needed new brake pads and a service, €800 came out of the buffer and was replenished over 3 months), this stops any unexpected cost to cripple me for a month and it's extremely liberating not having to worry about this on a weekly basis.

Living this way is quite tough to set up and took me years of investing in myself and my wife to get to this point but I'm reaping the rewards of it now. It allows me to go on two/three holidays a year (did Indonesia and New York this year and maybe one European city break by year end). I know my family and peers are jealous of this lifestyle, but really don't like it when I point out that their 3 kids that are all teenagers cost roughly 11k per year until they hit college age ( https://www.layahealthcare.ie/pressandmedia/pressreleases/105321---the-cost-of-raising-a-child-from-cradle-to-college.html#:~:text=Irish%20households%20are%20spending%20an,every%20year%20on%20their%20children. ) (not a super valid article statistically but eye opening nonetheless). They've put their money into growing a family (totally fine), whereas I have not (also totally fine).

Post edited by Creamy Goodness at

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Just in case anyone comes on and says "They do take it into account in the application process".

While yes they will look at it as part of your application they don't factor it in terms of inability to save a meaningful deposit. Someone paying 2k a month in rent will not have the ability to save a large amount.

It should be common sense that if you can pay a 2k rent over a number of years then the repaying of a lesser mortgage should not be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭drury..

They used to talk about the rat race years ago and it's still going on

Parents commuting and paying OTT rent and creche fees no time or money

It's hardly living at all

Yeah, that's the general idea. We have kids so they can continue on hopefully as productive citizens of the country, support it, pay taxes and support a whole range of other needs inc your state pension! It's a choice I guess, but many would rather do this than flitter away on holidays in several international destinations annually.

• Advertisement

Almost like it's a personal choice, I get it. I just don't get when people are jealous of someone's choice.

Am I jealous of someone who personally decides to have kids for whatever reason? No. Should others be jealous of my personal choices? I'd say no but (in my opinion) they show otherwise and that's on them not on me. I guess there's a reason why Irish people are known as begrudgers but I don't know where it's come from personally (the well off girl that comes back from London at Christmas, the fella that's always away/wears nice clothes etc.).

I don't need to have kids to support me in the future as I'm not banking on there being a state provided pension to the levels it's at currently (which is piss poor already) when I retire in 40 years.

Is it possible that your family & peers are not jealous, that this is just your own perception? Likely they've made their choice and are happy with it, do you know what they say behind your back?

Reminds me of a relative who lives a bit like this. We just regard them as feckless and pity them!

I'm frequently called "Rich Uncle John*" by my siblings (that have kids). So no, it's not just my perception. If that's not jealousy then I don't know what is. This is just one example, there are many others that I won't go into.

*Johnn not my real name, just example.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Is it possible that other people like @Creamy Goodness have also, to use your words, "made their choice and are happy with it?" It's a different choice to yours, so what? Why do some parents get so annoyed that others might not view parenting in the same way they do? If someone doesn't want children then they 100% shouldn't be having them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Apologies for having contributed to going a bit off-topic there.

Back on-topic, we're a mid-40s couple no children (not by choice in case Furze99 needs to know) so naturally we have a bit more disposable income than our peers. However at this stage of life our friends groups seem to be settling into a comfortable life, at least one foreign holiday a year including their kids (mostly teens), maybe one or two weekends away, kids have foreign school trips away and in most cases they have expensive hobbies too. Nobody is 'loaded' but careful to save for holidays, gigs, etc and be frugal where possible the rest of the time. I wouldn't class any of them or us as broke. All anecdotal evidence of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I was out in Dublin city center a few evening last week. Even back in the boom times i dont think i saw as much spending going on. Everywhere was packed. People buying expensive cocktails, meals etc.

The group I was with were having a moan about not being able to afford to buy a house na dhow their parents that they live with dont understand how hard it is for them, while downing cocktails, baby guinnesses followed buy cocktails again in the space of about an hourr and then on to the next pub where it was cocktails again. And me and another guy there with one pint feeling tight for the hour in that pub and then going home on the bus instead of the next pub, where we were chattiong about it.

Same again a couple of nights later for another do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Yeah and the bastards probably have Netflix and eat Avocado & Toast once a week too.

I can sympathise with that somewhat though especially if they're single. Years of being told they'll have it better, they'll be able to afford a 3bed semi-d in leafy suburbs etc. etc. only for it to be out of reach due to salary requirements that the Central Bank have imposed. I'm not saying this salary requirements are a bad thing, but they are a thing. If you're needing to pull in > 80k to reach these requirements and you're close to the median of 45k~ the few cocktails they have is going to make feck all difference. Also celebrations and events are seasonal and sometimes are not spread out (in my family/friend circle practically all birthdays/anniversaries etc. land in May (5 birthdays alone) and it's slim pickings for the rest of the year) people have to enjoy themselves and live too.

The flip side though, if you're living with your parents and you hate your job and the salary progression is non-existent then only you can really pull up your boots and change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭StormForce13

Not to mention the weekly ration of Columbian marching powder to enrich their weekly bout of vanilla sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You get get what you vote for I suppose. The issue is the lack of any real alternative in the country. Perhaps at this stage we are better off if the French bring the house of cards that is the EU toppling down. Look at housing in the years previous to the EU. For the most part it was local council housing with very little of it privately owned. I really think that this is a scenario we need to get back to. That regardless of earnings or perceived earnings there is the options there to avail of lifetime council tenancy and eventually even by out these tenancies.

Regarding the feeling broke point. I know some on decent salaries and are feeling the pinch. Myself and the wife are on about 70K a year after tax and yes we are feeling the pinch too. I can't imagine how people on a lot less than that are managing.

To those people who are saying that hard work and sacrifice will get you the mortgage etc that's BS in this day and age. Youngster needs to live a little too. Soon enough they will wake up and be in their thirties and have done nothing but save and queue up in tesco for the reduced meats etc during the twenties.

The social contract within our country is shattered. Work hard, live a modest life, raise a decent family and have a home. That is no more. It's incredible that we as a people just accept that and accept the propping up of faceless pension funds by our government. The people not able to afford their own homes even though working hard are being kept in rentals by government to look after their vested interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Can only speak for myself but our household income is significantly above the median and we are definitely feeling the pinch.

Im one of these people that has a spreadsheet and a detailed budget for the house and the upwards creep in spend across the board is very noticeable. I have put off changing the car and we have changed other habits as well.

We also ended up sitting the kids (teenagers) down earlier in the year and explaining that money doesn’t fall from the sky and that while we are not in financial difficulty we needed to cut back on some things they had begun to take for granted, takeaways every weekend, concerts and trips etc.

I mean this in a good way, but the fact that you have a spreadsheet will make you more aware of the pinch than others. There's plenty of people out there that don't and see 0 in the bank balance as something to aim for rather than watching everything and squirrelling away money to other things. With your scenario you can at least see the pinch and adjust rather than wondering where all your hard earned cash has gone and have nothing/little to show for it.

Spreadsheets, budgeting and general common sense are the killer tools to being able to react to fluctuations in spends, inflation etc.

Advertisement