Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantage to switching from Three, to Lyca, 20 euro per 28 day deal? Or disadvantage?

Options
  • 03-07-2024 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

I'm on Three.

Unlimited data is the main reason I stay with Three cause with them, it's legit unlimited.

I've never been throttled etc., and I could go up to 200 GB at month, well beyond their "fair use" policy of 60.

Switching to Lyca, they're unlimited everything, including calls.

Three has 60 national minutes a month, no overseas calls.

Lyca has unlimited national minutes, and 100 minutes to overseas numbers.

So, obviously Lyca is everything Three is, but better, re unlimited calls.

……

If I switched though, I'm concerned that

1. perhaps their data is slower than Three (even though they "piggyback" off three)
    2. it's not as "unlimited" as Three is.

Anyone with Lyca, and comment on the above?

Any issue with excess data use?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My lyca experience was years ago so i wouldn't base anything on it however piggybacking on a network doesn't mean the same data speeds. Signal will be the same but they all process their own data through their APN setting on your phone. e.g. 48 and three process data separately, likewise postmobile processes their data through malta I think wven though they are on vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

AFAIK Three's fair use 60GB limit went a few years ago.

Lyca actually have a FUP that deems 100GB as excessive.
    From Lyca website...
    "Unreasonably Large Data Usage: The policy specifies that using a significantly large amount of data, such as around 100GB within a specific period, would be considered excessive. It’s common for service providers to set such limits to prevent a small number of users from monopolizing network resources.

Reduced Speed: If a customer exceeds the defined data usage limit, the service provider may reduce their internet speed to a slower rate, such as 256Kbps . This reduced speed is typically referred to as throttling."

Three have newish PAYG plans, one of which has 200 national minutes and AYCE data.
    https://www.three.ie/shop/plans/prepay-phone-plans.html

Vodafone have a similar plan with 100 national minutes, 100 international minutes and unlimited Vodafone calls (not that useful except for family / friends who are also on Vodafone).
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MobileTester

….but Vodafone wants €20/28 days and also it is worth to note, that it does not allow to set up hot spot on your phone if you wanna share your data with others.

Three, 48 and Lyca allow to set up hot spot.

I have good experience with Lyca. Their speeds are fab with 5G easily getting up to 1000mbps in urban areas.

I would move to them and try. You may always come back to Three, but I think you won't want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

In terms of data use, any experience with Lyca actually applying the fair-use policy?

And limiting use over 60 or 100 GB etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PH0NER

I have a Three Prepay Hero SIM and a Lyca unlimited SIM. The service is comparable enough to where I can easily recommend Lyca. The speeds do seem slower on average than my Three SIM, but they’re still fast enough for anything you’d need. There’s a higher ping. Lyca doesn’t have WiFi calling support, which is why I personally wouldn’t use them as my primary carrier, but not everyone cares about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Why don't you just get a Lyca SIM and try it out for a month or two?

Lyca offer eSim so you should be able to have 2 Sims in your phone, whether Android or Apple (unless your phone is a dinosaur!). Set your data to use Lyca.

You can always port your number later on if you're happy with Lyca.

However on the FUP. You might go over the recommended limit for months without penalty. And nothing might happen. However there's always the chance that you'll get nabbed at some stage. Especially if you're performing nefarious activities and deemed to be affecting the network. Maybe it's a slim chance, but it'll be hanging over you nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Phone is 2019 Motorolla.

I'm not familiar with "eSIM", but it means I don't have to physically install a Sim? (I'm not equipped to have dual SIM in my phone).

TBH I need it mostly cause on my current Three plan I only get 60 minutes talk time a month, and no overseas calls.

They have this new Three "Super Surfer" which providers 200 minutes but no overseas calls.

Then for 5 euro more, unlimited calls and 100 minutes overseas calls.

……

If Lyca internet speeds are genuinely slower, that would be a consideration (I do all my internet'ing from a hotspot), plus they're 28 days, not month to month?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Would you not try out Tesco Mobile? They have a €20 plan for every 30 days and it includes 200GB of data, unlimited calls & texts, 300 international minutes and 30 GB EU roaming?

Advertisement