Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clipping in and not killing myself

Options
  • 02-07-2024 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Doing a bit of cycling and I reckon I might go a bit better if I was clipped in.

Last time I gave that a go I found it hard to unclip and nearly killed myself a few times.

Any advice on clips and pedals to get?

Those reversible clip/pedal yokes seem ok.

Decathalon sell a few shoes and pedals, seems like I can get something for 100 notes or so.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first question i'd ask is what system you're using? SPD?

SPD pedals can generally be adjusted to make unclipping easier; they might be set too tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

you will get used to it.

I clip in first right foot and then left and when clipping out I go left first. Just practice it on grass and you will be fine. I think when you try to unclip and nothing happens the panic sets in. I notice a good few riders will clip out well in advance of stopping and that might help as well.

anyway good luck with it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Keo easy pedals are genuinely easy for non spd/mtb ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above, practice the twisting motion or whatever movement it is with bike stationary.

where it can get tricky is if you have to stop suddenly and your focus is on braking and once the momentum stops it can be tricky as you need to decide which side you want to drop the leg

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

It becomes second nature I can involuntarily unclip when off round if I lose traction and the bike start to lean over. Foot out and down before thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Lots of practice at junctions in a housing estate or on paths in a park. Keo pedals/cleats are cheap and widely available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Not using anything at the moment, just standard pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Last time I used them too was on a long enough cycle, I think part of the issue was I was so wrecked by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

The common double-sided ones are generally for mountain bikes but they’re fine for road bikes also. My Mrs uses them on the road bike as she finds them easy to clip in and out of.

As suggested above, the Look Keo pedals are good road pedals. Whichever type you go for, you’ll need to get the cleats, shoes and pedals that suit eachother (eg Look pedals and cleats and road shoes or mtb pedals and cleats and Mtb shoes)

Ideal if you go to a shop as they will guide you in the right direction.
    You could ask for the tension to be wound to the minimum on the pedals also which makes it easier to clip in and out when starting..

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

For what it's worth I would suggest you try dual sided mountain bike pedals with multirelease SPD cleats. Dual sided pedals means it's pretty much always possible to clip in easily and the multirelease cleats are much easier to unclip. MTB shoes typically have recessed cleats so you can also walk around more easily. Sure for really long spins SPD-SL and Look pedals are more comfortable but as a star I reckon you can't go wrong with the MTB ones. He're what I am talking about:

The pedals: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=97320

The cleats: https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4248

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, they also have the benefit of being able to buy pedals with one side flat and the other side SPD, for addedd flexibility at the start if you don't want to be stuck going clipless at all times. The SPD system also has a much wider range of shoes - from top end MTB/ CX, to more comfortable Gravel and then the types that almost just look like shoes if you're not into the whole lycra get up. All of them are a lot easier to walk in than the Look system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I try to unclip my standing foot as I approach a stop if I can, like 2-3 wheel rotations away.

I'm a left leg unclip first rider which works fine in Ireland as you'll generally fall towards the verge but I live in a drive/ride on right hand side country at the moment and I always tell myself I should try to change.

You will fall occasionally, either through being distracted, or equipment malfunction or something. In the US a couple years ago, the screws of my cleat came loose and I only had one left holding it to the shoe, so what happened then was the cleat rotated as I turned my foot and so over I went. That was while in traffic, stopped at lights and so I fell in to traffic in front of a car. There were a few blown horns but thankfully nothing more serious happened, but it did scare me how helpless I felt when I realized I could not get the foot out.

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm a left leg unclip first rider which works fine in Ireland as you'll generally fall towards the verge but I live in a drive/ride on right hand side country at the moment and I always tell myself I should try to change.

Ha, I have the exact same problem. But I feel I'll definitely spend a few weeks falling if I try and change it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

similar happened me, the cleat came loose on one foot, but i managed to get the other one out just before the pratfall happened. must have looked strange to the driver behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When that happened to me, I was 15Km from home with no multi-tool to resolve issue. So I had loosen the shoe completely on my foot and when I wanted to stop, I took my foot out of the shoe. That must have looked weird! I just didn't trust shifting to right foot unclip first.

I don't think I've any issue unclipping from either foot thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, its muscle memory at this stage. My default is right-side clip out… the idea of falling into traffic and not being able to unclip in time freaked me out at the very begining so I made sure that was my 'strong side'. In traffic, if I think I may need to put the foot down I 'just about' unclip without taking the foot out of the pedal so that (a) if I need to put the foot down there's no technique involved, but (b) if I don't need to then all I've to do to clip back in is put a bit of force back down on the pedal - again, no technique needed and no faffing around trying to line it up right.

Basically, there's no real skill it all comes down to pure habit and repetition… the more you use them the quicker they'll become second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Been using SPD-SL red cleats for years as I love the almost complete absence of float. Never had an issue unclipping, however a new set on for the last few weeks and I'm noticing both feet noticeably harder to unclip now. Nothing changed on the pedals, is there a setting on the cleat itself?

Your old set had probably worn a bit I suspect, so the new ones are ever so slightly larger. The adjustment would be done on the pedal.

Change 'em every 3-6 months so this is maybe the 10th set in a row and the first time I've had any sense of an issue. Might be an ever so small design flaw perhaps.

• Advertisement

Wow. I'm still using 20 year old SPD cleats!

Yup, that might help!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100%, my current SPD cleats are a couple of years old, my SPD-SL, minimum once a year change, often twice.

Advertisement