Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are-ireland-and-leinster-the-biggest-chokers-in-world-rugby ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

SA and NZ spent 4 years building towards the WC, the 42 was talking about it the other day and Rassie is already in WC mode.

That's because the RC is not valued and doesn't bring in enough money so they don't care. SA could lose every game between now and WC and not care.

It's a different model for Ireland, one that SA would love to have if they are honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Rassie is already in WC mode.

How? He’s picked the oldest, most experienced team available to him for Saturday

SA could lose every game between now and WC and not care.

This just isn’t true. You can’t seriously tell me that Rassie will just shrug and move on in if Ireland win this series, or that if NZ win in Ellis Park, no one will be bothered.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are we seriously saying that SA only lose matches that they're not really bothered about? 

Nope, literally nobody has said this that I have seen.

SA don't care as much about the games in between World Cups as the likes of us. They don't particularly care about the RC, certainly to nowhere near the same extent as we care about the 6N. It's not that all the games they lose are ones they aren't bothered about, but a lot of them are.

It's not that unusual, tour series are completely meaningless and a relic of the amateur era, for teams like SA that rate themselves on RWCs it is not hard to see why the players might not be able to get themselves to the top of their game for fixtures like this. I partly suspect that's why Erasmus is engaged in all this nonsense, he personally really wants to beat us and he's trying to find a way to get his players as invested as possible in the series.

Nope, literally nobody has said this that I have seen

It’s literally in the post above yours.

• Advertisement

No.

You said

Are we seriously saying that SA only lose matches that they're not really bothered about? 

You are implying that someone suggested that the only games that SA lose are the games they don't care about, and therefore they win every game they care about.

He said:

SA could lose every game between now and WC and not care.

This is not at all the same as what you're suggesting. It was suggested that SA lose a lot of games that they don't care about. It was never suggestd that ALL games they lose are the ones they don't care about. It was never suggested that the ONLY games they ever lose are the ones they don't care about.

The difference in these statements is enormous.

I didn’t imply anything, you inferred something. The difference between those is enormous.

I’m used to people being incredibly negative about Ireland but swallowing the Boks pre match horseshit quite so enthusiastically is a little dispiriting.

You were (and still are) straw-manning here.

When you said:

The answer is no.

When you said:

but swallowing the Boks pre match horseshit quite so enthusiastically is a little dispiriting.

I've literally no idea what you are on about, as the nonsense coming from the Boks is the opposite to what people here are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No.

Ireland's most recent 'big loss' was a very close game against NZ in the WC. Kelleher not being held up and we would have won.

Leinster lost narrowly to Toulouse. Toulouse are sensational. DuPont is possibly the best rugby player of the pro era and he influences nearly every game he plays. Toulouse performance in their domestic final shows their class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They don’t have competitive clubs though. Just 3 Super Rugby titles in, what, 25 years?

Their good record is basically limited to RWCs exclusively. Go beyond that and they have failed to deliver, especially given the resources they have at their disposal. In many ways they are polar opposite to us. We’ve been able to deliver pretty consistently at league (12 titles), HEC (6 titles) and 6Ns (6 titles) level over the last 20 years, but failed at the RWC. In that time SA have won 1 URC, 3 SR titles, 2 RCs and 3 RWCs. So their success is massively weighted towards 1 competition.

We’ve won 37% of the trophies available to us over those 20 years. They’ve won just over half that, 20% of the trophies available to them. And a third of those were RWCs. Take out the RWCs and they’ve won just under 15% of the trophies available to them. Look at the RWCs alone and that figure becomes 60%. That highlights the massive disparity between their performances at the RWC compared to outside the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If Leinster are chokers for noting winning the CC and Ireland are chokers for not winning the 6N then the same applies to SA for not winning the RC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah now, the ProX was cack, nobody's pretending otherwise.

Since the SA teams joined it Leinster haven't got to a final. There's been one Irish finalist and four SA finalists.

Now they've got a bit of cash incoming they can afford to keep/entice back international players. The likes of the Lions getting to a Super Rugby final and then losing their entire roster to other clubs hopefully (for them) won't happen again.

So their success is massively weighted towards 1 competition.

And ours is massively weighted towards 1 club.

If they had a team with 18 or so SA internationals at their disposal, I daresay they'd run amok.

Or not, it's pretty irrelevant to SA being the most successful side in World Cup history, the biggest stage where they have never choked.

Do they fail everywhere else because they focus on the RWC, or do they focus on the RWC because they’ve been failing everywhere else?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't particularly think their style of game lends itself to consistent success. But it's a deliberate choice they have made and I'm sure they are happy with the outcome.

But looking back over 20 years, their style hasn’t always been exactly what it is now. Hell, we should really be looking back almost 30 years at this stage given the RC and SR have been on the go since 96. Over that entire period they’ve underperformed hugely

Is 30 years of underperformance worth 4 RWCs? I’m sure some would say it is and others say it’s not. But I don’t think I I’d be happy with that return if I were SA. I’d feel we could manage to win RWCs as well as more RCs etc and that the trade off shouldn’t be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t be a silly billy, they have won the last two world cups, the pinnacle of achievement in international rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think you could go back to discussing Ireland around 2012. We were consistently "successful" in the 6N but had only won it once. Would you swap that for the Welsh system where they had won it 3/4 times but been horrendous in other years.

Obviously my ultimate preference is what we have now but of those two I actually really don't know what I'd pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

next UrC season is the first season the Sa teams are getting money out of it,and no matter how much they get they still can’t entice players home due to the salary cap in Sa

And you see this is the big issue with the WHOOOOOOLE argument here, it's an argument that allows you to twist this and choose when something matters whenever it suits and that is exactly why this argument has no credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Chockers is a bit extreme, but underachievers definitely fits with this Ireland and Leinster group. There does seem to be a mentality issue as we have seen performances crumble when put under pressure. They lack that extra 5% that real top teams have. You can see doubt creep in when things don't go their way. When you compare that to the great New Zealand teams they never doubted and the New Zealand team of 2011 - 2015 (2011 final aside), would always get you in the end due to their belief. We just don't have that in my opinion. We need to lead from the front in order to win. I'd love to see the stats of comebacks in big games for both Ireland and Leinster. I'd say they are few and far between.

The South African question is interesting. Whilst I'm worried we are actually going to be potentially embarrassed by this test series I do believe that this South African team is one of the luckiest in history. They had 1 good performance in 2019 (as that is all that was required on route to the final) and if New Zealand had 15 players they would have won last year. They play a very effective yet limited game plan, that has no plan B if, as we saw in the Ireland game at the WC, they don't achieve complete dominance in the physical exchanges.

If anything they **** the bed in the semi against a poor England side (at the time), but in the end got away with it. I'm sick hearing about their "revolutionary coaching" also. Doing a 7/1 on the bench when you have such payers available is not exactly reinventing the game. And as we have seen with Nienaber at Lenister he has done nothing but further regress them as a team.

I really don’t think you can claim that this Ireland team has underachieved tbh. A series win in NZ and back to back 6Ns titles in 3 years doesn’t back that up. And when you think we went on a winning streak that was 1 game shy of the NZ record then too, it makes it very hard to say that Ireland underachieved.

Leinster over the last 3 years certainly, but I wouldn’t put Ireland in that camp at all.

The IRFU set themselves a goal of a WC semi and failed. An open and shut case of underachievement IMO.

Still not on the level of France who had about 10 years of gubbins rugby and then bombed out of their own tournament when they were expecting to win, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I disagree. We had our best chance of a qtr final win and stumbled out of the gates. I would say that Ireland crumble under pressure. As fo Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

All major/successful rugby nations measure success on the World Cup. You will see it when you hear ex SH players talk. Ireland (despite having the best team we've ever had), failed to get past the quarter final once again. That is by definition an underachievement. I don't for one second think they bottled the quarter final, far from it, but not progressing is an under achievement. Now I am of the belief that the scheduling of the World Cup massively advantages the Southern Hemisphere teams more, but that's another argument.

One case of underachieving in the middle of a load of success doesn’t make them underachievers though. Good teams lose games against other good teams. To label a team underachievers, they really need to be in the habit of underachieving.

• Advertisement

You can see it that way or as 8 failures in a row to win a knockout match at the highest level. Depends on if you see team Ireland as a ship of Thebes or each iteration as its own entity.

Advertisement