Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I summoned the Mimic at the very start of the fight (had a lucky window to summon and heal) and he landed the killing blow of phase two with around 30-35% of health left. +9 Revered Spirit Ash level. Did phase two quickly enough that I avoided that big finale AoE entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭Penn

With the AoE that he usually does right at the start of Phase 2, it wasn't really affected by the initial AoE blast because it was still in the process of being summoned/forming where it's usually invulnerable when turning from the blob to a copy of you (because that would be when I'd summon it rather than during Phase 1), but it'd take hits from the blasts that come after that. Not enough to kill it though. It never lasted the whole fight for me, it'd still be killed either by another big AoE or any other of the boss' hits. Or at least I don't think it'd take damage from that, I was usually trying to focus on heals or buffs/grease if possible.

Edit: Sorry, you mean the second big AoE when he's about 10%. Yeah it was usually either dead by then or that'd kill it. It may have survived once but I rarely ever made it to that anyway, maybe three times before the time I beat him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here's my successful attempt. The bleed damage you can do is insane, hence more or less bypassing some of the more punishing parts of the second phase. But I was very lucky with the stagger timing and opening summon window.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah it's wild. Almost makes me wish I'd focused on heavy weapons elsewhere in the game :P

It often also staggers the boss with one hit during that initial phase two wind up if you get up to him quick enough, but only seemed to work around 50% of the time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Commander Gaius is the first time i thought the DLC was being stupid with its difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah the AOE that explodes most of the arena. It’s a one shot death if you are near it so I think that’s what happens the Mimic, it’s not smart enough to run and just gets wiped out as they stand there gormless

Wait, it always acts that stupid? I thought it was just a really good copy of me...

Here's my vid against the final boss. +14 tree blessing and +7 ash blessing. Mimic survived the whole fight, barely. Shield and spear combo was the key but mimic really helped with the distraction and doing his own damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just got to messner and had to call it a night as there was a bit too much swearing. I'll you tomorrow.

• Advertisement

It's funny watching videos of the final boss - it all looks so readable and manageable, but then you remember the hell that is actually playing it 😅

New Patch for Elden Ring. Main Items:

Golden Hippo and Commander Gaius placement when you're entering their arena again (ie. if you don't beat them the first time) adjusted so they can't just steamroll you as soon as you re-enter.

Perfume Bottle Skills adjusted because people were using them for huge damage, I think by throwing them at the floor which hugely stacked damage (saw a bunch of people using it against the final boss to take them down in 2-3 hits)

Arcane Scaling and status buildup of Bloodfiend's Arm reduced (you're lucky you beat the final boss when you did, Johnny!)

Full notes:

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-version-1123?utm_source=SM_Official&utm_medium=official_post&utm_campaign=EldenRing_PatchNotes1123

Just saw the patch notes and came here to say Miyazaki must have watched Johnny's video 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For the PS5 version of the game, unstable framerate may be improved by
    using the "Rebuild Database" option from the device’s safe mode

Interesting

Missed that and was severely affected by it to the point I have been just using the PS4 app, I'm gonna try that next time I fancy a spin off Elden Ring.

Yupp, watching those vids make it seem like people are crazy for getting stuck on him but he just needs the right amount of cheese. Than you have the likes of Let me Solo Her doing it with no summon and in his jocks, barely doing any damage but avoiding his attacks and single stabbing when he gets an opening. No way I could dedicate myself to a win like that.

I've always said it: players should use whatever tools legitimately available to them to overcome the challenges in these games. Yes, it's impressive seeing feats of amazing dexterity and patience pulled off by skilled players, but for everyone else the games should be tackled as you see fit. Miyazaki has even said as much! This is extra true here, as the final boss throws so much unfair bullshit at you, the player should respond with whatever strategy evens or overcomes the odds.

One thing I will say though: the old 'wisdom / elitism' that summoning is easy mode is less applicable here than ever (unless you get in a super skilled co-op partner). Yes, it's great to have NPCs in the Bayle and pre-final boss brawl*, but they're driven by story reasons. As nice as it is to have someone drawing aggro, the sheer relentlessness of the attacks and the massive boost in boss health here means summons can make things even harder. Having the NPCs in the final fight in particular will just prolong that punishing second phase, and they barely do any damage. Obviously Spirit Ashes are near essential for most players throughout, though - they have very much taken the place of traditional co-op.

*It is interesting that these two, as far as I could tell, actually bypass the health boost restriction by being summoned in the arena?

"*It is interesting that these two, as far as I could tell, actually bypass the health boost restriction by being summoned in the arena?"

Yes, that's something I only recently learned while watching someone streaming the game and they mentioned it. NPC summons don't affect the bosses' health pool if they're summoned while in the arena/fight, whereas summons before the arena/fight (before you pass through the fog gate) do. Though of course, the instances where you can summon an NPC inside the boss arena are pretty rare. Even in the main game I think it's only really Radahn, where it doesn't matter how many of the NPCs you summon, the health pool stays the same as far as I know.

Absolutely, so much shyte talk online that "you're not playing right if you summon or use certain weapons". Like you said, the bosses use their own cheese, why can't we. Saw a great meme where a player is basically very hard on themselves for being stupid enough to try a greedy 2nd light attack against a boss when they boss just hit a 15 hit combo ending with an aoe attack. Feck those bosses, I'll use whatever i have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly I'm seeing way more moaning about these so called elite players than seeing these people give out about not playing the game properly. Unless it's people out to harass streamers but it's not been on the likes of twitter or forums I've been on?

Anyway so far I've had far more trouble with those fecking fire knights than any of the bosses. They just seem to leave very little in terms of openings.

Anyone complaining about using summons is an idiot. It's literally part of the game. It's as much a tool to be used as upgrading your weapon or using talismans.

There are definitely some build exploits which can do ridiculous damage, but there's no reason not to use it. A friend of mine beat the final boss using the perfume bottles but the only difference between me and him is, I wish I'd used it, and if I'd had to go another hour or so I probably would have done it myself too.

Unless you're literally modding or purposefully exploiting a glitch, then as far as I'm concerned; "EA Sports - IT'S IN THE GAME!"

Yeah even after finishing the game (and there are some tough-ass enemies in the final areas), I hate the Fire Knights the most in terms of general field enemies. The Specimen Storehouse of Shadow Keep…. they are just everywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if I've been killed by each individual one in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm now pacing myself and find all kinds of reasons to avoid getting to the final boss, I don't want this to end :|

I will say that looking at Reddit and Steam threads after beating the final boss, there was very little 'oh it's easy if you have such and such a build' / 'git gud'. It was 99% 'oh yeah that boss is a **** nightmare'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

During the game I'd usually put my summon sign down after I beat a boss. Frustratingly many many of those ended in failure and I was surprised at how much more difficult it was to beat the boss with summons than it was soloing it with a mimic etc.

The fight itself was easier as the agro was divided between the players, but the increased boss health prolonged the fight so much that it gave the boss more opportunities to punish the host if/when they got greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

fk that was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ll never understand it. The whole game is setup to allow you to face these challenges in whatever way you want. Level up/change build/ask for help etc. There’s no wrong way to play, and using whatever tools you need doesn’t diminish the feeling of finally getting past that fúcker that’s been annihilating you for hours.

And I’ve been in situations where my current build just happened up be really effective against certain enemies anyway - like the fire knights, a STR build with a greatsword of good reach really makes them no hassle at all. Am I going to change my build because I found I got through that bit too easily? Absolutely not!

Also I don’t know if I’m imagining it but I think the bosses in the DLC seem to pay far less attention to my mimic than they did in the base game. Most times I’ve used it the boss ignores it for 90% of the fight but it’s been instrumental in giving me a second or 2 for healing.

The boss AI seems to go for the player that is doing the most dps in a certain time window.

• Advertisement

Two of the guys at Kinda Funny are doing co-op trying to beat the final boss, and even mid-combo he'll change which player he's aiming at even if say Player 1 is in front of him throwing magic from a distance and Player 2 is running up behind the boss to try get some hits in…. the boss has turned mid-combo even before Player 2 has gotten a hit in.

I think they may have modified it in the DLC that maybe the bosses switch target more easily or more often depending on distance or priority (like more going for the player whose game they're in instead of the co-operator), and not just who recently did damage.

Advertisement