Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stunning result for Cav & an undeniablely great piece of cycling history.

Media wankfest incoming so off goes Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Magic. Love Cav. Delighted for him. What a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Just when you thought Rob Hatch couldn't get more insufferable…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,691 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Made it look easy.

Lots of the favourites with really woeful positioning. Bennett as well just couldn't get up past the middle of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Regardless, it was a class win from Cavendish, he had to swerve through a dozen gaps on his own in the final 500m and took the victory by a good distance. That's just pure talent and instinct. Sam just didn't get through the gaps, he might well have taken Pedersen out of it, trying to avoid the Cofidis rider who was all over the shop also. Messy sprint, delighted for Cav all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,373 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well at least he has gone and done it, so now we won't have to listen to the ifs, buts and maybes of him getting the win 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

All credit to Cav and his record but that was a fair aul 'change of line' he pulled in last few hundred metres immediately followed by a crash (and epic bunny hop) .Was that legit ?Surely just because youre in front you cant swerve all over the road ?There wasnt even a shortening of the road /bend to cut for any obvious gain .He seemed to just want to get anyone behind him out of his slip stream (?)Would be a brave commisaire would disqualify him I guess…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

it’s a great achievement. I’m glad I didn’t watch it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Who was in the crash does anyone know ?

Mads I think? Looked like Sam shut the door on him as some other rider came across him… nowhere to go in fairness. Not sure who pulled the Top Tekkerz Bunny Hop to avoid the crash…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surely if anything they'll talk about him less?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't think the change in line done anything, he was well clear of others, didn't cut anyone off but just seen the long replay from overhead. I certainly don't think it shortened the run to the line. He is still well able to throw shoulders based on the run in, there was a lot of f*cking around in the last few 100m. If the Comms do their job, a lot of people will be getting a rap across the knuckles for behaviour. I heard the TG4 lads saying something about Sammy shutting the door on someone but didn't see it, did he do something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah its an epic sprint finish that will probably be studied in detail for years to come.That Movistar rider Cav bumped out of the way was glued to his wheel immediately after and I say hopped up on rage /adrenaline. Anyway I always thought that 'failure to maintain a straight line ' sprinting put you at (certain?) risk of disqualification.

I don't think he did tbf… it looked like the whole bunch started to swing to their left, Philipsen shot across like an arrow after Cav, I think the crash was just one of those racing incidents rather than anyone shutting doors or being reckless… Sam was too far back at that point anyway to be worrying about riders behind him… he'd only have had eyes for gaps in front, which at that very moment all disappeared.

If anyone deserves a relegation it would be Philipsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

There are so many variables including wind direction, how comfortable you are in the group getting the optimal draft etc. racing in a bunch can be surgy too so you’ll need to spend some time sprinting but some time freewheeling too.

As a practical example I did a TT on a road bike at the weekend with effectively no wind. To maintain 40km/h I needed to do 345w for 40 mins

The next day to do 42km/h for 3 hours 10 I only needed to do 240. So a very rough guide of being at least 30% easier which is generally the accepted estimate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Is Project 36 in the works now!

Wont know till I see an overhead but it looks like Cavendish comes the whole way across the road and takes a whole bunch of people across with him like they are being sucked up by a hoover which leads to De Lie blocking Bennett who blocks those behind him.

They are getting a bit lax on the old straight line rule recently.

Dunno, but it would be lovely to see as many of Patrick LeFevre's former riders shut his team out… Sam next please!

I think the sprint was fine - unless some egregiously deviates from their line to block someone off no penalty should be incurred imo

Serious balls needed to be a sprinter - I definitely don’t have the nerve for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Incredible how Cav's chain broke just after the finish line ! Guy went all in

EDIT - it came off and its normal when you stop putting power by the looks of it

• Advertisement

odds on Cav finishing the tour? I know he’ll want to but much easier to pull the pin on the hard mountain stages now he has the record

I don't think quitting is in Cav's nature to be fair? Maybe he'll see things differently this year as the last stage isn't a sprint on the CE, but he seems to genuinely love the Tour and just loves winning…

It's his last Tour, I think he'll savour every moment of suffering and look to compete at 100% for every sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,169 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No chance he quits. As you say, it's not in his nature. You don't win that many stages if you have even the slightest hint of a thought like that.

Any update on Rob Hatch? Is he still excreting hyperbole in a room on his own somewhere in his best broadcasting accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

ThThe Greatest day in the entire history of all sport.... ! He said something to that effect; I said to my wife here that it sounded like watching WWF wrestling commentary in the '90s when Hulkamania was en vogue. But regardless I'm still delighted for Cav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Delighted for Cav. I used to not like him at one stage, but I came to see him differently in recent years, and I'm glad he didn't retire after last year's bad luck. My favourite place in the world is Laxey too, so I'm glad I've come around to see the local lad in a positive light.

Really enjoying the race so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well that was amazing classic cav surfing the wheels to pull out a bike length.amazing to be still doing tge business at 39.

Phil Liggett was in tears on the US commentary I am told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,373 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If Carlton Kirby had been on air, there definitely would have been tears

Advertisement