Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY won't offer Fibre

• 03-07-2024 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

So Open Eir rolled out fibre in my area. Letters in the door, Eir and Vodafone Reps called around etc.

If I check Eir, Vodafone, Digiweb I can get. No issue. I am currently on part fibre with Sky.

So I contact Sky. I have a contract until June 2025 unfortunately. Sky say we don't see fibre for your eircode. I show them all other providers and Open Eir. Even Sky offer it for all my neighbours.

Sky want 500 euro early termination if I cancel. Which is their legal right but it's amazing that it's clearly a system issue?

Did anyone experience something similar? Any way I can get out of the contract of Sky only offering 70mb?

It seems mad they won't budge at all.

I have an expensive TV package with them also for years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

if you are able to order from other suppliers then it's likely that sky's database isn't updated yet that your eircode is live, they might update monthly or weekly or quarterly

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sammy96

That's what I was thinking but I am the only house in an estate of 20 that's hasn't been updated for them.

SKY themselves said this wasn't the likely issue.

Also it has been a number of weeks since official rollout.

Really frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Our Eircode (Lusk) was coming up as St Margaret's with Vodafone when we were hoping to get fibre 2 years ago. It got sorted and then things went ahead. I hope you can get it done too.

Sky rang me this aftenoon again to say they have no record on their system of FTTP for my eircode. Agent said he can see FTTP for my eircode on all other providers and open eir. He said sorry but nothing he can do. He said sky can offer it for all my neighbours too but not me.

He said things may change in a few months but said can't guarantee it.

Madness. So annoyed with SKY.

I presume switching to avail of FTTP with another provider, is the same as just cancelling the contract?

I was hoping as it's necessary to switch to avail of FTTP with another provider I wouldn't have to pay SKY early termination fees but apparently not.

SEem to be screwed either way.

Also does anyone know when Does Open Eir remove the old FTTC system once they have installed FTTP? Might be a way out if Open Eir are going to disconnect it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

No, OpenEir doesn't remove the old copper FTTC when you change over to FTTH. In due course copper infrastructure will be decommissioned nationwide but not yet.

FTTC is separate to FTTH, so you could have FTTH from one provider and FTTC from another provider in the same property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Ring around the other providers, and see if any of them will give you an up-front bonus to help pay off the cancellation fee with Sky. Even with the hefty cancellation fee, you may be better switching to FTTP. You are probably seriously overpaying for your legacy TV package with Sky, compared to the streaming deals on offer now. By comparison, Eir TV is only €9.99pm for the regular channels, and if you need premium Sky channels you are likely better to use Now TV. Eir also don't charge any additional monthly fee for multi-room, if you buy your own Apple TV 4K boxes (The first box comes free with the €9.99 subscription). The Apple TV box is also the best in class of the new streaming pucks - and sooner or later Sky will force you over to their streaming puck, which is very poor compared to either their legacy hard-disk boxes or Apple TV. You can also port over your mobile SIMs for €9.99pm 5G, so all these savings might help to cover your cancellation fee over 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭RobiePAX

You tried resolving it in a civil way. Your alternative option is to be a Karen about it.

First make sure your eircode shows that Open Eir Fibre is available on ComReg Broadband Checker.

https://www.comreg.ie/broadbandchecker/

Then make a Sky Complaint that you are reporting technical issue to Sky that your address is not picking up fibre when other providers do. Surely Sky can raise a ticket to query this and fix this. They simply are not bothered escalating it to a person who knows how to fix it.

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/how-to-make-a-complaint-roi#online-form-only

If they'll ignore you or tell you they won't help. Then your next step is ComReg complaint. You'll need to show them Sky complaint reference. Explain that Fibre was rolled out. It shows available on ComReg site. But Sky refuses you service. That you reported it's a mistake, but they refuse to investigate into it.

https://www.comreg.ie/advice-information/consumer-care/contact-our-consumer-care-team/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's a possibility that all possible connections are gone in your area - ask to have your query raised to the tech dept, they can query the OE database for what is available (CS wouldn't normally have access to this). If it is available they can log the connection request

Thank you all for those replies. I will let you know how it goes.

Just to follow up on this. Sky rang me last week and can now see fibre. Got it installed today. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Hi Sammy, I’m currently on Virgin and can now use Sky fibre too in the house.

Wondering how you find it, any dropouts etc?

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

No issues. Uses the Open Eir network so all providers would be the same.

Advertisement