Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden room

Options
  • 03-07-2024 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Looking to put in a garden room at the bottom of my garden (6m x3m)

Looking for any recommended suppliers for a long lasting garden room (to be used as a gym/hobby room) as i see lots of ads online but dont know who is reliable

Also looking for any pitfalls i should be looking out for

Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

We used loghouse.ie during COVID. Very happy with result. I think I gave some tips before, will have a look…

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

From our own experience:

Go for good insulation (roof and floor too)

We use an infra-red heater (cheaper, quicker, can be attached to ceiling)

They sit a good bit higher than garden. We dug out the area for the base, to keep floor level with garden.

Do not use a certain company based around donegal/derry.

We used loghouse.ie for a traditional loghouse. There were covid delays, but they were efficient once they got going. If you want somethin fancier, there are people doing steel versions with plastered walls.

When pricing, it adds up quickly (installation, double glazing, roof, drainpipes, steps, lights, paint, electrics by separate contractor who they can organise). Price doubles (at least) from the basic price very quickly.

Our only regret is not going bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

+1 for loghouse. Very easy to deal with, did exactly what they said they would, when they said they would. Structure is rock solid. As above, don’t cheap out on insulation and windows/door. No hesitation recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Thanks for that, i saw their site on my searches so will check out what they have. No intention to cheap out on this as i want this to be done right and be there for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

I got one (cant remember who by) in 2017, a wooden one..

If I was to do it again, here are my recommendations:

1. Build a concrete base, dont put on bricks. Mine is slightly lobsided now :~(
    2. Would go for metal shed rather than wood, less maintenace. Look better as well, wood over time will degrade in our climate no matter how well you look after it!
    3. Make sure they do the electrics correctly, the cable they ran from the shed to the house was not up to much, very dangerous could have put a spade through it. Have since had this replaced with a proper one. also it should be wired directly to your power board thingy in the house, not to a plug!

• Advertisement
Advertisement