Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are-ireland-and-leinster-the-biggest-chokers-in-world-rugby ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭laoismanj

Chokers? I wouldnt say chokers, however I would say overrated in what I would compare to the English soccer team by their own media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Leinster one of the most consistent sides in Europe for a number of seasons now. They are always at the qtr/semi/final of Europe since 2015? a lot of teams have come and go between that

Ireland have been the most consistent side in the 6 nations since it was moved from 5 nations, with the most wins. Most triple crowns, England ahead on 6 nations but just behind with France/Wales.

Also the longest as number in the World as a NH side

This is coming from an era when Ireland "won" the most wooden spoons in the 5 nations

Now sure how over or underrated you want the teams?

England soccer team won a WC 58 years ago and nothing since. Not really a comparison is it?

The 6 nations is overrated on the world rugby scale. England being the only team in it to have won the world cup which only started in 1987. People thought ireland had a better draw by avoiding france and getting new zealand.

Leinster. A good team. Not chokers by any means.

No the 6 nations isn't overrated.

The 6 nations is the competition every country in the World wants to get into, both NZ and Boks are desperate to get into it

The whole reason NZ came up with the World League bulls**t a few years back was to try shut down the success of the 6 natiosn because they couldn't get into it. The boks are trying to say now because of their clubs in European competitions they should be allowed in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

New Zealand want access to revenue from it not the rugby as such. They wanted the world league not to shut down the success of the 6 nations but to access some of its revenue.

We ultimately need more countries to the top level and South africa coming into 6 nations isn't going to help that at all.

• Advertisement

They would win the 6 nations as would south africa. It literally is 6 teams in a 3 horse race. Its adored by the followers, has the viewers and the structure but on the world stage only one of the 6 nation teams has won a world cup, I hope Ireland do win one. We could? But they arent good enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

as would south africa

There is literally zero evidence to suggest this

Be realistic please.

About what? South Africa have failed to beat the current 6N champions the last 3 times they have tried…

But NZ and SA have no interest in growing the game, just trying to take the revenue from other countries

If SA had any interest they have an entire continent they could focus on growing the sport, instead they come to Europe

NZ pick the best players from the islands and use them for their own teams, they only took in island teams when SA jumped ship and they had no alternative.

The only way the game can grow is for Europe to stay in Europe, SA to stay in Africa etc

• Advertisement

They are the world cup champions. A game alone that doesnt matter doesnt win silver. Its a cruel world

Good for them, they are world cup champions and no one is taking that from them. They are fairly uninspiring in the RC and there is no reason to think they would win the 6N were they in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Jesus, I dunno Podge, that seems a huge stretch to me.

I think it’s fairer to say there’s zero reason to believe someone like Italy would win the 6 Nations if they were joining it now. But SA?

I’d wager they’d be favourites almost every iteration of it. Top 2 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They do in different ways and South africa do help some of their African neighbours. Poorly. Very poorly and could and should do lot more

SSouth Africa do have a whole continent but even if they did help all the countries that are next best at rugby - Kenya, Namibia, Zimbabwe, they have to look beyond them as the quality isn't there and won't for a long time.

It's extremely lazy to say new Zealand pick the best off the islands when in fact. New Zealand born players etc are far more likely to represent Fiji, tonga, Samoa then the other way round

Just like Ireland were unfortunatly uninspiring in every world cup despite expectations. South africa would win the 6 nations right now. My opinion, doesnt mean its correct as its hypothetical but the 6 nations is 3 teams hoping to win and 3 teams that no hopers

Why though? Their record in Ireland in the pro era is fairly poor. Their record against France and England are better I will grant.

I'm not doubting that they would be in the mix with England, Ireland and France. But I see no reason to put them above that grouping and Wales frequently jump outside of that group to win also. They'd be in the mix obviously but I see no reason to elevate them above that, especially considering how unbelievably poor their record is in the RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Are we still denying that Ireland let the pressure get to them at the World Cup? It's just ridiculous. Choking is a harsh word but unfortunately that's what happened. Ireland played tight, made basic errors and underperformed under pressure. That is choking whether you like it or not.

Yeah, I think it got to them in the first 20 min. They came back into the game well and it was the toss of a coin about who won in the end.

But by that reckoning, if they’re in the mix, logically your argument is then that there’s no reason to believe anyone would win the 6N…?

Sure, I am not the one making the statement that anyone else "would win the 6N".

If SA joined the 6N for next year I don't particularly think they would be favourites. Lot of variables there in terms of home and away though. But I'd expect them to lose to any of Ireland, England or France away in a serious competition.

• Advertisement

But it shouldn't have been the toss of a coin. In the World Cup, Ireland were far better than New Zealand. The first 20 minutes are the clear sign of a choke but also the missed kicks, basic errors and the overall tightness in how we played throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

jaysus putting Rory Mcilmiss up as a defense that Eirefolk aren’t chokers is some stretch !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Did you see my posts about their record outside of RWCs? It’s awful. 4 RCs ever. The most number of wooden spoons in the RC. And that aligns with their SR record of 3 titles in that. In the last 10 years they’ve failed to beat Ireland outside of SA but have lost to Ireland in SA and in a neutral venue. There’s a fair whack of evidence to suggest that the SA outside of RWCs is different to the SA in RWCs. It’s not a stretch at all, let alone a huge one.

South Africa up their game at World Cups and are very hard to beat. Ireland appear to be the opposite. We have achieved some very good wins in the group phase of many World Cups but when it comes to knock out rugby, we fold. In knock out rugby, South Africa excel.

Yeah maybe. It absolutely sucks and we should have done better but it's still an improvement.

Yeah, but they very much don't up their game in the RC which is the point.

And I’d expect any of Ireland, France and England to lose away to any of those or SA..

I realise this is an invitation to speculate, but if they joined, how long do you think it’d take them to win their first?

Fair to say your “no evidence” suggests you think it’d be a fair while?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Which is effectively what I was saying before. SA are the opposite to us. They excel in the RWC and massively underachieve outside of RWCs. We do well outside of RWCs and underachieve at RWCs.

Which is all fair but then it also seems fair to point out that for large swathes of the RC, they were up against a NZ team that was significantly better than anything that was produced in the 6 Nations over that period.

That seems pretty relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

If Ireland are chokers than France must be uber, uber, uber chokers. Why do people think World Cups are easy to achieve? New Zealand played an almost perfect game against us and we still almost won.

Advertisement