Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

Mark Tighe has experience in this. He was also IALPA President during the strike and subsequent lockout of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

The man has 98% pilot votes behind him. He is a genuine leader. Like it or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

sorry the what?
    Is there a link to this even as I have zero recollection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

He is almost 34 years with Aer Lingus, according to his Linkedin page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭StormForce13

There's a huge difference between length of tenure and "experience". Tighe may have the former, but he certainly doesn't appear to have the latter. Intelligent people learn from experience and it's clear that notwithstanding his long tenure, Tighe hasn't learned anything. (That's why Fórsa Head Office had to tell him to cool his jets last weekend.)

Thus far he's played the PR game very badly and his trenchant, "not an inch" attitude is reminiscent more of the DUP at its worst than of a professional 21st century Trade Union negotiator. (Of course, being posh and wearing ties, the pilots don't have a Trade Union, they have an Association! Can anyone spot the difference?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

IALPA…

IALPA retweet:

[Massive image of PBP tax bands removed]

You know something is wrong when you rely PBP for PR.

Post edited by Tenger on

Just a reminder that Aer Lingus cancelled 76 more flights this week even though the pilots are working their contracts to the letter and are on full pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ah so when EI was fully state owned.

Big big difference today, IAG will eventually get fed up of nuisance disruption when it really starts to cost the bottom line.
    They’ll get the cost basis they want for future investment one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

Does anyone know how long the Labour Court is likely to sit on this before issuing its recommendation? Assuming no escalation and work to rule stays while the Labour Court decides, I’d say that most holiday makers would benefit from this dragging out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shamrocka330

Why should the pilots fill the gaps in the operation because EI management continue to cut corners over the years so that they can get their large pay rises and bonuses? Last year, pilots weren’t on a work to rule and EI still spent €25 million in hire ins, so this mess and subsequent cancellations is nothing new and EI pilots are fed up with it.

I understand you’re trying to be a smart arse with your comment but how would you feel if you were constantly expected to come into work for extra shifts, expected to answer the phone at any time and constantly hassled to immediately change your plans because your boss is taking the piss and won’t hire additional support? And to top it off, your base pay was cut during Covid with no increase in 5 years. Yes, the overtime is great but that novelty wears off, particularly after 5 years of no work/life balance and cuts to your base pay. But I’m sure you would be happy with that.

It’s obvious the deliberate messages that EI management have been circulating in public about pilot pay, number of hours worked etc. has had the desired effect on the likes of you but maybe take a moment to look at the bigger picture.

Leaving aside your "sitting on this" language, the latest "Irish Times report states:

"…Both sides said the court would issue a recommendation aimed at brokering industrial peace at the airline “within a few days” following a hearing that lasted more than 3½ hours on Wednesday afternoon.

Capt Mark Tighe, Ialpa president, confirmed afterwards that the union would ballot its members in Aer Lingus on any Labour Court recommendation."

Thanks EchoIndia. On a separate matter, can anybody explain what is meant by flex rostering in the context of what IAG is seeking and what it would mean in practice for the pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And that proves what exactly…?
    A work to rule is designed to cause disruption,otherwise what’s the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Poland2020

pilots work usually 1 roster period in the year on a variable roster (they can bid for it or inverse seniority). It plugs gaps in the roster and can spit out any pattern like a 3 on 3 off - 4 on 2 off - no less than 2 days off. The pilots fought hard for the 5/3 in 2011. Very few airlines work variable rosters now (Jet 2, BA, TUI still have variable).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I thought aer lingus pilots flying hours per annum were lower than other airlines?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

They are, but that's more down to the seasonality of the Aer Lingus network and their low number of 'proper longhaul' routes. (10+ hour flights)

Aer Lingus pilots can be rostered over 800 flight hours a year (flight hours < working hours) Their shorthaul crew work a 5/3 pattern, mixing European and Transatlantic flying.

Aer Lingus reduce their schedule over the winter, and slash it in early Jan-March.

Many airline operate more evenly over the 12 months.

EG. In summer 2023 Aer Lingus had a lack of pilots and had to hire-in other airlines top operate flights on their behalf. Apparently these hired aircraft cost €25m over the summer. 30-40 extra pilots on the books could have saved them that massive cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭knobtasticus

There’s an egregious amount of clueless opinion being passed off as knowledgeable statements in this thread. It boggles the mind that people apparently can’t be bothered having the basic due diligence to read the pages of useful info contained in previous posts before engaging their fingers. Hopefully some of the below helps…

Correct. But this WTR was designed to highlight in the public domain how under-resourced the airline is. As has been said before, the pilots are available to work their rosters as published and are also fully available on standby to cover roster changes. What they are now not available to do is work on their rostered days off or work duties that incur a significant delay beyond what was originally rostered - that’s what standby pilots are for but alas, EI doesn’t have enough of those.

At no stage has IALPA ever played the ‘poor’ card. Just because a worker is perceived to be earning a high salary doesn’t bar that worker from exercising their industrial right to ask for more - in line with inflation and the company’s profitability. Any argument otherwise is in bad faith. Also, ‘overtime pay’ in EI isn’t what you might think it is. In fact, conversely with other airlines, the payment for ‘overtime’ isn’t considered worth the hassle for pilots in EI and their free time is valued a hell of a lot more. With the right incentives in any job, staff are perfectly happy to provide ample flexibility. Those incentives don’t exist in EI.

Good effort but the reality is significantly worse. There’ll be many pilots who will work 3 to 4 flex rosters in a 12-month period. That’s up to a third of their year where they won’t be able to depend on a 5 On/3 Off pattern in order to plan future commitments/appointments/childcare/holidays etc. if FR can crew their operation with a permanent 5/4 pattern then EI should be able to easily manage the same with a permanent 5/3 pattern without disrupting it with flex. They need flex because they use it as a 5/2 crutch to extract increased productivity out of their insufficient pilot numbers. Flex was never intended to be abused this way.

As has also been previously explained, EI’s op as a mixed-fleet carrier can only be compared with other operators who roster a mix of short and long haul. Regardless, there’s no work condition or agreement limiting the number of hours EI can roster their pilots - they can roster them right up to legal FTLs if they like. Pilots can only work the rosters they’re given! If their productivity is apparently down then you should only be asking why their rostering is so inefficient. Perhaps it has something to do with the inordinate amount of time EI’s pilots spend on the road between DUB/ORK/SNN - none of which attracts any sort of duty pay. Or maybe it’s got more to do with the colossal amount of hire-ins used last year which took thousands of payable flight hours away from EI’s pilots.

How much an employee gets paid doesn’t undermine their ‘right to disconnect’ and no employer has any business contacting an employee outside of a period where they are required to be contactable. Pilots are rostered standby duties and are supposedly contactable only within these periods. Unfortunately, the reality in EI is somewhat different with the company regularly disturbing rest periods with calls, texts and emails - often in breach of WCs. The more senior pilots will push-back against this and stand their ground but junior pilots often don’t have the same confidence to do so.

___

The airline industry and its work practices have very few parallels to the rest of the working world which goes a long way towards explaining why the general public has, understandably, such a hard time wrapping their head around it. This is why EI management’s disinformation campaign has been so apparently effective when you hear and read people making assertions on various topics that bear no resemblance to the reality of being an aviation employee. It’s a notably unhealthy and unsociable career with a relatively limited longevity (these descriptors not being unique to aviation, of course). I have now thankfully left scheduled passenger ops behind and no amount of money could pay me to go back to it.

edit - spelling and detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I know it’s only guess work but can you see this strike still ongoing in to august?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

Source on your basic facts? Aer Lingus are pretty average in the wage department, I fly for a LCC and make far more per hour than an EI pilots and will for pretty much every stage of my career if I stay here

My opinion is (and you can take it or leave it) is that all this talk about hire in’s, overtime, etc. is just a smokescreen by the pilots to cover their excessive pay demand. I bet once this dispute is settled, we will never hear about any of this again until und next pay dispute when all this moaning will start again. I think that many of the pilots are happy to work the overtime for the extra pay. If they did not, we would have heard about it a long time ago. And I am right in assuming that no matter what OT is worked, pilots cannot break their maximum flying hours ceiling in any given year. So, you can be busy in certain periods of the year, and relatively quiet in others.

And let me get this straight, IALPA want BA wages, but don’t want BA terms and conditions when it comes to variable rostering?

Not sure I’ve ever heard IALPA request BA wages? Regarding viable rostering, what does this mean?

Hire ins and overtime is a smokescreen?! You haven’t heard about this before but the topic has been part of failed discussions between EI and pilots for years now. The overtime is not worth their while and the constant contact outside of working hours needs to be addressed.

This industrial action is not as simple as ‘the executives got a bonus so we want a pay rise’. However, the optics of senior management receiving salary increases of over 200% in the past 5 years in addition to large bonuses certainly hasn’t helped the situation.

To be fair, work hours and the right to disconnect are important in any job and are valid things to challenge if the employer is constantly in breach of this. I’m not sure how this is childish?

John, I sincerely wish you the very best. I hope you get a deal that you will be happy with. I have heard something of what you say and this was that there are pilots who were open to coming to a compromise/deal and others who are from the “no surrender” camp….and it is this group who hold sway.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

If there's a great number of pilots opposed to the union then why did only six vote against action in a secret ballot?

In unions it would not be unusual for there to be a leadership of people with strong views, and a membership who are of a range of views, from strong to moderate. Support for industrial action doesn't necessarily translate to everyone being up for what that might mean if a dispute drags on with no end in sight. Anyway, let us hope that the Labour Court process manages to bring this one towards a conclusion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

One aspect that might be pertinent is that many of the flight crew (and cabin/ground staff) are relatively new hires.

Having joined within the last 5-7 years they would have no direct experience of large scale industrial relations conflict.

More experienced union members would perhaps be more aware of the risks involved. (This doesn't mean they don't support industrial action)

I believe the last strike/stoppage in Aer Lingus was 2011? The pilot lockout was 22003 I think?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Slighty off topic in one respect, but relevant, a long time ago now, working at the airport, I got well and truly shafted by SIPTU, as they didn't like that I had a different work ethic to them, the entire place was a closed shop, so I had to be a union member, it made no difference, I was effectively out of a job despite being massively overqualified to do the job, and the union had no witnesses, it was all hearsay, but because the management were spineless, the union were able to get me thrown out of a job that I was damn good at, simply because they didn't like that I wouldn't toe the union line on some very questionable work practices, and as for health and safety, if you were one of their chosen ones, it didn't matter what rules were broken, there was never any action taken against them, so the fact that there are questions being raised about the strength of the feelings within IALPA is no great surprise to me. From occasional comments I see here, some aspects of that situation haven't changed, the unions still call the shots if the management are spineless.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

To be fair to John, what he says wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard something along those lines…. I prob wouldn’t go so far as to say they’ll regret it, but I’ve heard of one or two concerns being raised behind closed doors! They are still 100% (or 99%😉) united with regards to the ongoing IA!

Advertisement