Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Treble double

As I said whatever rules are brought in, will given enough time be negated by coaches who's aim is for their team to be able to control the game ie hold onto possession. As I've already said the only way to change this is strictly enforce a time limit on the preparation of inter county teams, this won't happen either as it would be seen as a backward step and there are too many people making a living out of backroom teams in inter county GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A shot clock easily negates the control aspect of that.

I'd also bring in a rule that says that you can't bring the ball back over halfway once you cross it.

A shot clock will see teams hold onto possession as far as the clock allows them kick the ball dead preventing the opposition from countering, rinse and repeat, not allowing teams go back over the halfway line will see longer periods of teams passing around in their own half under no pressure, the half way line will only be crossed as a last resort when there is a major opening created. Coaches craving control of possession will work around all these rules given enough time with players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,867 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If there was a Shot Clock, what's to say something was a Shot Dropped Short or was a High Lofted Pass?

In Basketball it's blatantly obvious when something is a shot; is genuinely cannot be denied.

Look at the attacking mark for instance, it was brought in with the intention of a high ball being kicked into the verge of the square and the big ball winner getting a free kick for winning it, a thrilling sight for the crowd. Eventually the coaches got there hands on this and reduced it to a diagonal pass across the 45 into the chest of the receiving player. Now it took them ages to come up with this, because most coaches are copy cat merchants and bluffers, but the astute coaches after ignoring the mark initially eventually reduced it to this and they will do the same with every other rule change leading to a whole load of unintended consequences that will have to be remedied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Jim Gavin and his changes is not the problem. Jim Gavin was simply the one who pioneered the solution to massed defences. Problem is that hardly any other team is good enough to do it consistently.

I don't get the generation reference. Surely everyone wants an attractive watchable reasonably exciting game not played at walking pace irrespective of generation?

Indeed, modern sport like modern life generally, is one of control. But the idea that making teams train twice a week only will somehow make them flake the ball fifty yards down the field every time they get possession given the years that the current systems have been practised is fantasy.

Altering the rules of play is the only way this can be aporoached. It is easy to be pessimistic about that but it is the only option. 'Back to the Future' is not really a practical alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

THe shot clock idea is simple a no no if want inprove game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The tinkering is continuing. When it comes to the real stuff, there is no way the players are going to accept being made stay in certain areas of the field. Imagine suggesting that nonsense in soccer.

What would improve things is to make 8 or 10 steps the rule instead of 4. 4 is completely unnatural for a player heading for goal at full tilt. That is why it gets ignored. Just as soccer keepers take far longer than 6 seconds, but referees ignore that.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0701/1457592-rule-trials-may-be-extended-as-far-as-october/

But the offside rule in soccer controls the areas players venture into? Even more notably so with rugby. Players have accepted these rules. In Gaelic Games they have to stay outside the parallelogram before the ball arrives. GAA players have accepted this restriction so there's no question as to whether players would accept it. Being penalised constantly would concentrate minds quickly.

A player can be offside a yard from the centre of the pitch. And everybody can be onside with a dozen bodies (including the two keepers) within a yard of the goals. What people want to do with GAA players is make some of them stay in certain areas of the pitch. Which is not a natural thing in a dynamic game like football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,765 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

"there are too many people making a living out of backroom teams in inter county GAA"

Hit the nail firmly on the head there TD, there's the biggest reason for the rubbish we as paying customers are being served up in a large percentage of games.

"dynamic'. Long time since that term could be associated with the game of Gaelic football.

Its funny how some teams manage quite easily to have their entire team in a small area of the pitch when it suits. Not sure the game is very dynamic at all. I'd say it's the opposite to dynamic at the moment.

All within the rules which were also there when teams had rigid positions. And the keeper always sent kickouts straight to midfield where two from each side were waiting to contest them. And of course nobody dreamt of something so outrageous as a keeper coming out the field. Or outfield players trying to retain possession instead of kicking every ball at the earliest opportunity.

It must be really galling for modern coaches and players to see the reaction to such logical developments. They are not doing it just for the hell of it, it makes perfect sense to play the game in the modern way. And they got no help from anyone else except with the introduction of marks, which are a positive thing.

Now the reactionaries want to put restrictions on the natural flow of the game with artificial rule changes. Using the argument that there was some Golden Age of football in the past which has been lost. There never was a Golden Age, and there were as many dire matches in the past as there are now. I say let the game develop whichever way it will, and enjoy the contests.

The "transition" in modern football to use that new description, is a perfect demonstration of the dynamic nature of play. Very much like in soccer, where teams play on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The best and easiest rule that would definitely make the game better is a take down tackle. The compromise rules for me was better than Gaelic football. I know some people thought it wasn't but surely there is room for a proper manly tackle instead if the sneaky slapping amd pulling and dragging.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I think you may be imagining that people are talking about a golden age of football or that people have an aversion to people passing the ball and retaining possession. No idea where that's coming from.

The point being made is that the sport is currently almost unwatchable. And nobody is saying that this absolute is nit within the rules (again you're imagining this); on the contrary some of us are recommending changing the rules to disincentive boring unwatchable football. We're not asking anyone to break rules.

And "artificial rule changes"........what's that about? All rules are artificial. Otherwise we are back to carrying a ball from one end of the parish to the other.

Rosita, I would encourage you not to waste your bandwidth arguing logically with some folk here.

Its become quite clear the play of Gaelic football is a boring repetitive watch right now.

The public opinion says it, the Gaa say it, the commentators on various media outlets say it, the pundits say it.

Intelligent people like you say it , and yet you have folk appearing, making all sorts of insinuations without

addressing the elephant in the room .

If it were raining outside and the roads were flooded, these people would tell you its nice and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Not sure the Donegal Louth game is a good example of modern players bricking it in front of goal

I'm talking about in general, hence why did not even Louth or donegal in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Did you not read the posts you were replying to? Maybe you replied to the wrong person?

• Advertisement

Lee Keegan has joined in the clamour for changes. But no amount of tinkering with the game will change the fact that it is about winning, and at least he has the grace to recognise that. If the players and managers want to turn Kerry v Armagh and Galway v Donegal into boring slogfests, then that is what will happen. Or one or both could be high quality, like many games are.

Some soccer teams like Arsenal and Italy of the past were famous for playing an ultra defensive style. And Ireland got some success from the Put Them Under Pressure approach. But things moved on naturally, without stupid stuff being imposed on the players. The back pass to the keeper rule change was the only real intervention from off the field sources, and it is a good thing. Gaelic will evolve whatever way the players want it to. No amount of reinventing the rules will make any difference to that.

Keegan thinks the rule makers can engineer a game which the players don't want to play. They can't, and they should learn from the previous failed attempts.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2024/0702/1457789-kerry-derry-horror-show-confirms-that-game-needs-change/

"Jack O'Connor won't give one single damn about the complaints of the pundits and the neutrals. For him, and everyone else in the camp, it's all about results. Will they be as negative again? If necessary, yes. Perhaps it won't be as extreme against Armagh but it may not be a million miles away either. The fact is that it made tactical sense for Kerry to adopt the approach they did against Derry. And that's the problem. It's not as if we haven't been here before. Ten years ago, they set up to mirror Donegal in the 2014 All-Ireland final. It resulted in a dismal game but Kerry picked up Sam at the end of it. So that's where the rule-makers have to step in. To engineer it so that it doesn't pay to play this way."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I agree to a point. The biggest issue with football is that it's far easier to hold onto the ball and not get dispossessed when in possession in comparison to other sports.

The easiest way to overcome it is as you suggest but I think a take down tackle would be far too radical to ever get accepted as a rule change.

Exactly no real skill required to maintain possession. The tackle is an area that has to be cleaned up by the law makers, take down tackle would put the fear of God into players in possession and it may have to go that way

I was at the 1983 semi final between Donegal and Galway. It as a turgid affair, which would not be out of place when compared to Derry v Kerry this year. I doubt if 1-12 or 1-11 will be enough for either of them to progress this year.

https://www.donegalsporthub.com/the-1983-all-ireland-semi-final-the-day-val-daly-broke-donegal-hearts/

Indeed, but my points was about vast high majority of games not the slim minority ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Football is muck alright.

If the Euros is anything to go by!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

easy to introduce and enforce rule

No back pass to keeper- keeper not allowed out past 13M lineCould even go to no back pass to any player once past your own 20m or 45m
    shot clocks- will be gamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Oh God. I have tried to fight the corner for GAA football. Saying it was tactical and could be interesting when the matches are close in the final stages. But I was at the Limerick/Cork hurling match yesterday. And watched the Clare Kilkenny game the day before. And I cried into my pillow last night for the future of football. There is currently no comparison between the 2 sports in terms of energy and excitement. I really hope something can be done to bring some excitement back to football. Normally I'd be excited for the All-Ireland semi finals. But haven't really thought about them at all yet. Maybe come Friday, I'll get enthused again. And then await with trepidation the Kerry Armagh game on Saturday - and what will probably be about 200 sideways passes. I really hope I am wrong.

Yesterday was very exciting no doubt but Clare Kilkenny wasn't a classic and only got going in the last 15 minutes. Yesterday was the first decent game in nearly 7/8 weeks.

Even still despite the doomsayers on Football by many (who for some strange reason don't hold other field games to such high standards) the Football Final has been a better event more often than not than the Hurling for the last few seasons.

If the weather is good I'd expect Galway-Donegal to be a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It will be like when Ireland are playing in soccer, I always look forward to the game, then 5 minutes in I remember how bad they are and regret turning it on.

I was at Clare V kilkenny on Saturday, first Hurling game I was ever at. Hurling is a way better sport, it really puts football to shame, way better in person as well, tv doesn't do it justice. I am going to go to Hurling games from here on, might go back to football if it changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

The Dublin v Cork and Wexford v Clare QF games were poor enough. It's not all sunshine and roses.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

And the Limerick Clare Munster final was pretty boring as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

All sports have poor games. Its the ratio of good to bad you need to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KIB4Life

It hasn’t really been a vintage year for great hurling games, Cork vs Limerick both games and Clare vs Cork were the only good games in my view, the rest were poor enough. A lot of one sided games and a lot of games are now basically free taking competitions.

• Advertisement

Down v Laois another awful advert for game

Let's hope Kerry v Armagh will produce something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

What exactly are you looking for?

I really enjoyed that game. It's at a lower level to the Sam, but was a well-contested and close contest with plenty of good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Gaelic has been poor alright but the Euros would put you to sleep.

You know the type.

Very slow to give any credit to decent football or a decent game but all over this thread at the drop of a hat.

Something that resembled Gaelic Football for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What's "Gaelic football" though?

Do you view it as -

1. "catch and kick" 14 v 14 outfield and "go" for it non stop?

Or

2. A more nuanced game where it is a game of patience, possession, intelligent movement, counter attacking at the correct moments etc?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The problem with hurling there is no depth a weaker side more often than not has zero to no chance against a stronger side. It ends up in a walloping. In football at least in football if the weaker sides are set up and play astutely they have a chance against against the stronger sides.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

At least in Hurling, the semi finalists who are the cream of the crop that year, will be able to showcase their skills and serve up an entertaining game, unlike in gaelic football.

Now that was more like it. Credit to Armagh I totally wrote them off

I still saw 30 players in 1 half of the field, not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭etuzyuk

I had a steak last week in a restaurant. Had an ice cream yesterday in a parlour. Ice cream far sweeter and didn't cost as much. Disgrace. Gonna stop going to the restaurant till they make the steak like ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,233 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I suspect the ‘right’ teams are not winning is the problem here.

Something that hasn’t given birth to 37 handpasses followed by a point from ten metres out.

I would have thought by now the penny would dropped but obviously not.

The clipboard merchants won’t let go their death roll on Gaelic Football it seems.

Down not once played foot pass over 20 metres today. Laois no better

Kerry v Armagh was by no means classic but was some lovely football, some nice scores and both teams played to their strengths. At least was energy to the game.

Night and day between both games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement