Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Waterford Whispers hit the nail on the head again with this one! :-D

AFTER years of consultations, objections, compromises and the
    overwhelming support of city residents, the next phase of Dublin’s Bus
    Connects scheme is on its way.

That was until Ireland’s most successful politician of the 21st
    century, Emer ‘Post Passport’ Higgins, spoke out in her official
    capacity as junior minister for increasing smog and congestion.

With clear vision, just imagine the transformative effect the Fine
    Gael TD can have on Irish transport using just 1% of the energy that was
    required to rename Passport Express. Here, WWN unveils Higgins’ vision
    for the first time:

Immediately rename Dublin Bus ‘Bus Dublin’.

To avoid a repeat of the rollout of the Luas which as we all know
    crushed jobs and destroyed businesses, it will be illegal to travel into
    the city centre without a pledge to spend a minimum of €100.

Hold off on making improvements to public transport until public transport improves.

A ‘proper jobs’ dedicated lane. Any Fine Gael voters in a hurry will use dedicated lanes, made of up repurposed bus lanes.

In the absence of solutions, offer people the chance to moan about cyclists.

Ignore all the encouraging tweets you’re getting from people who also
    say that the ’15 minute city’ is a LGBT5G conspiracy by WHO, WEF and
    the UN to control you.

Whatever you do as a public representative don’t actually submit any
    proposals during the consultation process. Instead, wait until it is all
    decided on to start speaking up.

If any new suggestion would hurt the profits of people who own car
    parks in the city centre by a sum greater than one euro, then it’s an
    automatic no.

Develop a leap card, that when you tap on, automatically deletes
    previous election campaign videos in which a political candidate says
    they will demand better public transport for their constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shocking stuff. I think it's clear the blue badge thing is a front. They know there is no practical way to discern blue badge holders from any other car. And it's just a front for making it unworkable. I'd imagine the car parks are behind it really.

Unless some new AI tool is rolled out and DCC go with that option of blue badge only which would be actually a delicious result, imagine the egg on the car park industry faces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They know there is no practical way to discern blue badge holders from any other car

There is no legal basis for it either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This. I thought the whole idea here was to remove car traffic so we can make much-needed improvements - more space for public transport, walking and cycling. If cars still have access for half the day then these improvements cannot be made. The quays will remain a dangerous place to cycle and a slow place to commute by bus.

As someone who lives in the city centre, this is infuriating. Can we start an email campaign to Richard Shakespeare on this? It would so deeply depressing if the car lobby got their way.

And on the disability group - is it government policy that people with disabilities should be able to drive to every building in the city centre? This is insane. No other capital city would operate like this.

The local government model is a shambles. We have a decision that was voted on and is part of a plan that was put out to public consultation but then car parks can have a word with an unelected man who can just over turn that decision. Presumably any person in such a role can also be bought quite easily without electoral reprocussion. It smells a lot like corruption.

Not only is this person unelected, he also has little Internet footprint, the public don't know anything about him other than he was also CEO of the other Dublin Council seemingly job surfing with the same role in each. And he has some paywalled interviews about tackling climate change which might be positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I emailed that wagon higgins anyway to tell her what i thought of her interference, please do same

emer.higgins at oir.ie

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seriously???

The local government model is a shambles. We have a decision that was voted on and is part of a plan that was put out to public consultation but then car parks can have a word with an unelected man who can just over turn that decision. Presumably any person in such a role can also be bought quite easily without electoral reprocussion. It smells a lot like corruption.

The car parks had a word with an elected official (a TD) who then raised it with the media and the council.

There is no suggestion from anywhere other than your post that a public official has been bought.

And finally, the CE of the council, Richard Shakespeare, has the final say in what is done because that is the role of the CE of a council. This is probably a good system given that an elected official may well vote in a manner that might be populist but not necessarily beneficial to the greater public (look at some of the recent councillors elected to the council who are clearly unfamiliar with their new role and what it entails).

Not only is this person unelected, he also has little Internet footprint, the public don't know anything about him other than he was also CEO of the other Dublin Council seemingly job surfing with the same role in each. And he has some paywalled interviews about tackling climate change which might be positive.

Not having an internet footprint is not an offence but if you were to bother to look you would find that he is on LinkedIn and in other forms of scoial media.

As for job surfing, he has been with DCC for quite some time now.

I suspoec that you don't know who you are giving out about and are confusing him with Keegan who is no longer with DCC.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I wouldn’t hold not being publicly on the internet against anyone. Plenty of people have no wish to do so.

And as for making the decisions, that’s the council’s job when it comes to traffic or do you want the councillors to decide on every single minute detail?

Be careful what you wish for!

His email is richard.shakespeare@dublincity.ie and chiefexecutive@dublincity.ie - make your feelings heard (politely).

I think you've misunderstood. I was suggesting the system is flawed for giving that unelected person power to circumvent democracy. I suggested this was an invitation for corruption. I never said that this particular person was engaged in corruption.

Yes I looked at his linked in, nothing really on it, a post about street cleaning and a post about a drone show 3 years ago.

And yes he's also worked for fingal and a number of public bodies in similar roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Disco24

IMO this is round 2 of FG policy to get votes. Round 1 being Regina Doherty bash at cycle lanes. Suspect FG have come up with a strategy to tap into righter of centre opinions to gain votes to get biggest party prize at next elections and the perks that go with it.

Expected there will be round 3, 4 etc. Bottom of barrel politics with fg cllr expect to tow the party line. T

The party of people who get up early in the morning…to drive to work in huge traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭halfpastneverr

The thousands of people who were bothered and actually gave half a shite enough to participate in the public consultation voted overwhelmingly in favour of the plans. Then the car parks raise a stink when it looks like their pockets are going to be hit, a moronic junior minister in search of hysteria votes sticks her oar in and suddenly auld Shakey is pulling the rug out from the original plans and kowtowing to them at the expense of the hundreds of thousands of bus commuters, cyclists and pedestrians who actually particpate in life in the city centre, not just treat it like a rat run in the bubble of their Tuscon's and Qashqai's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd be willing to join a stand up or sit down protest to stop ALL traffic for a while if this goes ahead. I'm thoroughly sick of it all now. For whom are these decisions made, as it is rarely for the weary commuter.

This is probably a good system given that an elected official may well vote in a manner that might be populist but not necessarily beneficial to the greater public

Sorry, but this is basically an "autocratic rule can be good actually" viewpoint which I can't support and also it's not even true in this scenario as he seems to have completely caved to individual business interests over the democratic will of the council.

Isn't This how the short segment of SWS got pedestrianised. DCC done trials then dragged their heals and a group of citizens just went out and stood there and the gardaí refused to move them.

I didn't dispute that. The claim I dispured was that the car park owners discussed it directly with the Council CEO which wasn't the case, nor was (I'm taking for granted) the possibility of brown envelopes changing hands.

He hasn't yet made a decision based on what the councillors discussed last night.

Do I think he will make a more balanced view over councillors including the likes of Mannix Flynn? Of course I do!
    Nonetheless, I'm hoping he uses some common sense and ignores the car park owners, some charity that seems to exist on cloud-9 and some feckin eejit populist TD but currently he hasn't made any decision on the matter.

Do I think he will make a more balanced view over councillors including the likes of Mannix Flynn? Of course I do!

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I still don't think it is a good concept in general to push forth. He should implement the democratically supported plan, and as much as this will have downsides they are less significant than a CEO deciding what is to the general benefit of the public.

Democracy is messy after all, but the best solution we have found so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I hope you're right. Maybe it's a play.... show this "updated plan" now, then roll out a final plan which allows the additional access to OCS / Eden Quay, but keeps the bus gates as 24/7.

This could be seen as a compromise solution. The 7/7 operating times on the bus gates would be a complete failure.

• Advertisement

But the "democratically supported plan" was chosen by councillors and it was rhe councillors that altered the plan or caved somewhat last night.

They are not the ones who came up with the alterations though. The council supported the unamended plan and it is officials and the CEO who are derailing it.

Councillors, the vast majority of whom support the plan, were on Monday outraged, not by the revisions to the plan, but by Ms Higgins’ intervention, and that Mr Shakespeare might consider delaying the plan at the behest of “big business”.

They are, however, powerless in this matter. Traffic management measures are the responsibility of the council management, under the Roads Traffic Act, and not councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What's Richard Shakespeare's general history? I see that he's a qualified landscape horticulturalist and engineer but has he built any reputation to date as pro or anti public transport/cycling/pedestrian infrastructure? Might give an indication of which way he'd tend to lean in these situations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he was head of DLR and (according to someone i know who works for the parks dept in DCC) gutted parks in DLR, and privatised all that work, which they've apparently started to try to reverse now he's gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing i would comment on about pandering to car park owners - and it's OT for this thread - is that i would support removing on-street spaces in many places in the city, and that'd only be politically palatable if multistorey capacity was improved. which is not to say i think we should hand the owners what they want; i'd love to see the one behind brown thomas being repurposed, and removing the queues of traffic to and from it.

There was some article in the independent a year or 2 back, he said to tackle climate change he's happy to inconvenience motorists.

But of course that doesn't mean anything really.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd suggest that you do such protests (legally) in front of the entrance to the car parks + in the pedestrian entrances of the department stores connected to them Brown Thomas, etc. and maybe the DCC offices.

Hit the people actually involved in this, rather then the general public.

the car parks were allowed to build and operate by the council. they're protecting their own interests, as they have every right to.

the issue here is whether the council panders to them; a demonstation at the civic offices would make more sense IMHO.

Dublin Commuter Coalition have written to the DCC CE…

• Advertisement

A good letter. I would encourage people to email chiefexecutive@dublincity.ie and lordmayor@dublincity.ie and make their feelings heard on this.

Advertisement