Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers + Suede - 2nd July 2024 - Trinity College

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

bout half way back it was. Just in the door, checking to see if i've any good photos but **** me, Brett is a medical miracle, about 2 songs in I thought "my knees!" at some of the moves he was pulling, he's got the voice, the looks, the hair all still in place, what has that fucker sold to get that bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Funny you say that , I said tonight he was like Dorian Gray !

Got one good one of him onstage . In any other I tried he had slid off stage and was in the crowd 🤣

Snarky Snark Snark

he's a slippery bugger once he's off the stage, i always try and go for b&w or noir camera profiles with phones at gigs, you might as I do have an "ok" lens but the camera sensor is diddy and they cannot handle the lights, much more dramatic effect too.

Wow that's very good . Love the light effects .

I have only my ordinary phone camera and always end up with flashing lights drowning my pics , so will try b&W next time thanks .

Looks like we were all within a close enough distance tonight ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 moaner

As a fan of both bands who can no longer deal with being at the front at a standing gig, I thought this was the worst crowd I’ve ever experienced in Dublin.

I moved around several times and was constantly surrounded by folk who refused to shut up talking. The furthest I ventured forward was about 1/4 way from the front. I’m not sure that people even realise they’re doing it - it just feels like normality these days. No matter where I moved to, it was the same.

It seemed to take the Manics a few songs to warm up (possibly not helped by the crowd) and it felt like a festival performance from them. An average Manics gig is still great but this was the flattest I have seen them in years. Personally, if I was the lads, I’d have hopped the wall, went for a few pints and come back at the end - most of the crowd wouldn’t have noticed. 

The Olympia is a much better venue for both of these bands. 

Brett did a great job in getting some engagement from the crowd - it worked well with them being on last and the band were excellent. 

I did notice some sound issues where I was for the first few songs (James’ guitar seemed to be buried in the mix) but it improved after that.

Trinity is a great venue location wise and has a nice chilled vibe but I assume that is exactly what’s attracting the event junkies. I’m not sure that I’ll ever attend another gig there after tonight.

I wish people would fcuk off to the pub if they want to spend two hours shouting at their mates non-stop.

Considering that this sold out very quickly and many real fans couldn’t get tickets, it doesn’t bode well for the live music scene here. 

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

I was halfway back to the sound desk but dead center (favourite position), from your framing I'd have thought you were about 8 - 10 meters / 24 - 30 feet back at most, probably 3m offset from the red cable strip to the right.

"from your framing I'd have thought you were about 8 - 10 meters / 24 - 30 feet back at most, probably 3m offset from the red cable strip to the right."

Yes indeed more to right of centre ., you have me , lol .

Usually stay more to the back for dancing purposes but we got a few " chatters" around us as @moaner said , at last night's concert so decided to take the early advantage of being in with the" real fans" towards the front .

It was much better although restricted my moves a bit 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I was in line with one of the stage sound towers, about a third of the way between the centre sound desk for MSP and the sound was good. Hung around the back of the sound tower for the end of their set after a loo trip, and both the sound quality and crowd engagement was noticeably worse. It felt like an older crowd (including myself 😅) and I think the average MSP fan has a couple of years on Suede fans so may not be as lively.

Suede were class, I was up closer to the front for that, though wasn't brave enough to enter the Insatiable Ones territory. They were definitely up for the gig, how Brett has so much energy I don't know. Great set of old & newer (& 1 brand new) songs.

First time at a gig in Trinity, I wouldn't be put off by the sound issues and would go there again. My only gripe with the venue was having just one exit. The crowd being, shall we say, more experienced concert goers, just went with the flow with many vocal complaints, but I wouldn't fancy a younger crowd to behave in a crowded exit like that.

Edit: didn't notice many chatterboxes thankfully, but you can be unlucky at any gig and get stuck beside some. Also can't say I noticed anyone with their phone in hand recording the entire show instead of, you know know, actually watching it (definitely correlated to the shows demographics), plenty taking the odd clip or photo which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Post edited by paulbok on

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

I was at the front in the sfx it was mental. I have such a soft spot for Brett Anderson and it was never a blur or oasis question for me at the time always Suede. Definitely a crumbling portrait in the attic somewhere but its actually nice to see Suede thrive continuing to make new music. They seem to be able to blend their past and present well in gigs. I would recommend the documentary the insatiable ones.

So sorry I didn't go now. Loving the reviews. Very poor summer gig wise for us. Tom McRae in November. Son has nabbed my Liam Gallagher ticket to go with his dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

That was a great nights entertainment.

James' voice isn't able for those high notes anymore unfortunately. but he still sounded great.

The band sounded as good as ever and the newer songs were top notch.

Maybe i'm an outlier but I love hearing new material at a gig. The band and singer sound just great as they're playing to their strengths and showing us where they are musically.

I hadn't seen Suede before and they were just brilliant. Brett looks and sounds tremendous. What a band and frontman.

I get what people are saying about a festival performance and that the Olympia would have been better for both bands. That is probably true, especially for the Manics as they were on very early, but we got to see 2 brilliant bands still in flying form for a measly 60 quid, so no complaints here.

I enjoyed Trinity as a venue. You get chatty dickheads at every gig and at least you can move about at a standing gig.

Nice to run into Stillill42 too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

this was so loud at my place in north strand i could hear all the bangers one after another in the back garden, i'm gutted i didn't go as was a big fan of both bands in my teens, but didn't even know it was on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was further back for the Manics, and didn't think the sound was great tbh. Still a great show by them. Was much nearer the front for Suede - Brett is some front man, and like was mentioned earlier doesn't take himself too seriously ("it's been a great show so far, so we're going to ruin it with a new one" or words to that effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Loved the gig. Such a great venue.

Have seen the Manics loads of times and I thought they were brilliant last night. I'm a bigger fan of theirs than Suede so was always going to enjoy their show a bit more but Suede were brilliant too. They have some great singles and Brett is a great front man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Loved it too..was there for both with a preference for the Manics but Suede were very good it has to be said…Some energy he has…

Great night where everything was straightforward in fairness..

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Thank you @Hurrache

A great gig by both bands! I really enjoyed both sets and wished they were longer.

My only gripes were the aforementioned chatterboxes, pretty painful! I also though for Suede the bass was overpoweringly loud.... The mix needed more guitar and less bass. I think this stopped the gig from soaring to greater heights!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aslanroars

Suede were stunning last night. Fantastic choice of song s. The slowed down version of posivity was class. First gig in few years that I realy got involved in. Great venue. But exits a bloody pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Great show, Brett's voice and energy fantastic and a blistering start, The 2 of Us sounded great, wasn't sure how powerful it would be in the open air

Like the venue but with these "legacy" acts (if that is fair) you'll always get groups catching up with people they never see, college friends etc so always lot of chatter, at least can get away from it outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Was near front, crowd generally grand but we did see one complete asshole randomly harassing a few punters, just annoying them, then pretending it wasn't them, some girl with him just laughing the whole time, seemed to think it was hilarious, not what I expected to see at a Suede gig, been to 100s of gigs but it was the most pathetic behaviour I've ever seen at a gig, sad really

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aslanroars

Was that the big arse hole with long hair and shorts.

So Stillill42 and you were not chatting then ? ;)

Good to know so many boardsies enjoyed the gig .

Hopefully they will play back here in Dublin again soon.. I'd definitely go again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Myself and @Thundercats Ho met and had a chat alright. Lovely fella. As most Boardsies are.

Yes. Of course . As would expect from anyone here :)

It's just those that continue right through the music that annoys the hell out of people .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oh agreed. We chatted quietly and out of the action, you'll be glad to hear. 😉

Ahh was only slagging you .

Don't take it up wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Mathematician

There is always too much bass at TCD, especially if you are near the front. I remember going to see Gregory Porter there, and there was so much bass, you couldn't actually hear him sing. I was about to leave after the third song, but the guy on the sax realised what was happening and left the stage to tell them to turn the bass off!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

During the Manics it seemed like they turned down the mic for the "backing guitarist" fella from Galway, he didn't sound great during You Love Us. Suede are always outstanding live and would probably not have been as lukewarm as the Manics if they had been up first on the bill.

Advertisement