Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

oh man, Osborne at 15 seems… questionable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭phog

Osborne at 15 is just plain ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Posters want Farrell to experiment.

Farrell experiments.

Burn him!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Same old conservative Andy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭VayNiice

Love it! Hopefully JOB will get the 14 shirt alongside him for the extra pace. Nash has done a decent job in Hansens absence but hasn't much game breaking ability. IMO his ceiling is lower than JOBs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Does job really have that pace though and I don't see how job has so much or any more game breaking ability than Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Subscribers Posts: 41,533 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bring it on.

Put Dan sheahan at 13!

Fcuk yeah?!!

• Advertisement

Its nothing provincial related. I think JOBs ability to play all through the back line has allowed him to develop a more varied skill set than a pure wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Nash can play the other positions. Hasn't done it in higher level games yet. But certainly was seen as someone who could cover any of 11-15 coming through and isn't simply a pure wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Posters want Farrell to experiment at 6..

Ah no honestly.. Great to see Osborne get a start. Has a cannon of a boot which might be very beneficial at altitude..

Was a great full back at U20 level back in 21. Worth a look. Has played very well this season.

Would honestly be worried about POM lasting 60 minutes at altitude especially given he barely managed 50 for Munster at Loftus back in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Farrell going off to work on the lions for the best part of 12 months might actually freshen things up..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

he’s in charge of Ireland for November so it’s really only a Six Nations that he’s missing plus whatever tier 2 country we visit next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think JOB is a more rounded player than Nash but I would start Nash still. He's more direct and think he has a better nose for the break through a gap that is barely there. Whilst I'd have some concerns over him under the high ball defensively, he also works like a dog chasing under offensive kicks. He's slowly becoming more like Andrew Conway was perhaps without the raw pace or the kicking game that Conway ultimately developed.

I'm a big fan of JOB but he's pretty good at everything rather than being great at anything, for me. He's probably a less dangerous version of Hansen, to my mind. Good ball player who played 10 at underage, can link up throughout the backline, isn't physically dominating but still defends well and a relatively creative kicking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If the Osborne story is true, then it would appear he's out-performing JOB, Frawley and Larmour in training, each of whom has played 15 (and done fine) for Ireland in the last 12 months.

At the same time, WLR was able to exploit space in the backfield so ruthlessly against Leinster that the positioning of an inexperienced FB could be a concern.

Still, one way or another, we're going to learn something and Osborne is such a talented player that I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Ya thats true. Freahish voice in Easterby and farrell is like a new voice when he comes back. Not a bad call

I'm happy enough to see Osborne there. I really don't think he's any worse than the other options. I don't particularly rate any of them as test level full backs but, at 22, Osborne at least could be. And if they're all at similar levels with various strengths/weaknesses, I'm happy for them to look at JO.

I do think this probably isn't a black and white "We think Jamie is better than Jimmy/Jordan/Ciarán". I'd imagine there's a tactical consideration of having that booming boot in the backfield at altitude. It also potentially works in tandem with the Casey selection. Conor Murray would still be a better kicker and well able to take responsibility for exit kicks from his own 22 at the base of the ruck. Casey isn't quite at that level. With Osborne (and Casey's pass) it gives us a stronger option to exit. We have Lowe obviously but England showed in the 6N that a team can do their homework and put massive pressure on a guy who is going to be the dedicated kicking option in those situations. Obviously Osborne is a bigger unit too which could be useful as a strike runner.

I would have defensive concerns over all the options out there on tour at 15 whether it's positioning, tackling or under the high ball. So it's all much of a muchness.

I'm really hoping that Timoney gets the nod on the bench. He has the potential to be used in the same manner that SA have used Kwagga Smith in the past. Covers across the backrow, former Sevens player who is incredibly quick, industrious and punches above his weight with a strong breakdown game.

Hoping for the bench to be Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Ryan, Izuchukwu, Timoney, Murray and Frawley…..but expect it to be Kelleher, Healy, Bealham, Ryan, Baird, Murray, Frawley, Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

He will miss 6 nations and a tour next year if they are having one, back then for the November games

• Advertisement

His left boot will give them options for clearing the ball instead of just throwing to Lowe

Let's see if it works

As pointed out here, Irish fans

"We demand change"

Farrell changes it

"Not that type of change"

I know everyone is going with Izuchukwu because he is the shiny new toy, but has he played better than Baird all season? no

Is Baird now seen as predictable or familiar becuase he has been around the squad even if not starting? it would seem so

I would prefer to see Healy not on bench, all reports are Tom O'Toole is playing that side of scrum, if he is going well in training etc why not put him on bench? or at least plan to have him on bench for next game or start him

Leinster played the wrong game plan, seemed to get the climatisation wrong by all accounts and just had a bad day at the office. The plan seemed to be, if you kick the ball so will we. Which was a questionable decision.

What it does give Ireland is a view of what it is like to play in those condition and a better view of what SA will do, kikc a lot with fast wingers.

Maybe it will be better to put Jimmy on the wing to try combat the SA speed than at 15, who knows. But I expect Farrell has a plan, will it work? lets see Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Its an interesting call at least. Job, frawley or in particular larmor would have been setting ourselves up for failure i think. Theres risk with osbourne certainly more than some of the suggestions that have been panned here given hes player 15 at senior level once i think? But i think we lose with thr other options anyway so why not roll the dice

If playing a player at 15 for the second time is acceptable to people here though i do hope plauing lads in positions theve been excellent in for 60+ caps is mo longer seen as "sacrificing" games

Baird was brilliant earlier in the season but his form tailed off significantly in the last couple of months. He was making errors and not having the impact around the park that he was having previously. Teams also seemed to have done their homework and negated his threat on their lineout ball.

Izuchukwu has played really well, is in the same bracket as Baird athletically and is probably a more physical guy when it comes to collisions in attack as we've seen with him brushing through Doris and Hodnett for linebreaks of late. I rate Baird and I think he has come along a lot but I was disappointed by his overall form since the LAR game.

I get wanting to see TOT covering loosehead but there's giving someone a go and throwing them to the wolves. He's on this tour to get reps in camp at loosehead and be there in case of emergency, I'd imagine. If he has to go on, Ireland will be hoping they don't have to pack down. He's nothing special as a tighthead scrummager so I'd be shocked if he's anywhere near comfortable at loosehead. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bealham shift across if it came to it and Jager come onto the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

'out-performing _____ in training' - I think its important that that thinking/logic is tempered with the previous selection of Stockdale at FB.

Stockdale started at FB v Italy & France with disastrous results.

Keenan started at 11 v Italy & France instead.

A terrible selection decision.

TOT has been getting reps now for a while by all accounts, the "give him a shot" is not my attitude by the way, if he is performing in training then moving on from Healy is required and I love Healy

Putting in Bealham and Jagar is actually a decent call as well.

Not sure how much Baird form dropped off, in the Bulls game he had a few errors but a few was down to poor passes to him.

I think Izuchukwu is a good player, some burst of form at end of season and showed the promise we have heard about for years but has he been better than Baird? not so sure about that. Again depends on training and who is lighting it up.

I think both options going forward are going to be a great addition with Ahearn as well.

I can see the logic and benefit of having Osborne at FB when in possession of the ball.

a) Kick it to touch beyond our 10m or b) kick it as deep as you can if they don't have backfield cover

Osborne has huge potential. Defending is not one of strengths.

It would be an unfair ask & also be complete folly – He will probably never play there for Leinster again.

Pick him at 12 - Yes. 15 - No

I dont want to be disagreeing with everything you are saying!….but Timoney is no Kwagga Smith. Im just not convinced about Timoney at this level.

Baird & if they're going to pick another forward Izuchukwo.

I don't think Timoney is KS or close to it. I think he could be used in the same role though as they've similar styles and strengths. KS is obviously capable of that at a far higher level than most in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Would be pretty surprised if Nash doesn’t start tbh (and not at all convinced JOB is pacier than him tbh, as was suggested above).

Not a fan of Osborne at 15, would prefer to see Frawley there tbh even if I’d worry about his pace, but think it’s possibly an indication we’re going 6-2.

• Advertisement

Ah I didnt mean you thought he was at Smith level (sorry!) Just that Fiji maybe Arg games are more his level. Dont think he's up to filling that Kwagga type role v SA.

Advertisement