Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The 6:10am Aircoach didn't run (could see it wasn't tracking on bustimes), and when I got to the stop for the 6:40 (which was tracking on bustimes), there was someone there waiting since 6am. They ended up getting a lift, 2 minutes before the Aircoach arrived 🙈 Don't blame them though!

Also for reference, I was charged 17 Euro for a walk-up Adult return from Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Which route are you referring to ?

Ah the 700 I see. Think there's been a few cancelled on that in recent days

• Registered Users Posts: 68,746 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stop times on the timetable have gone from being wildly optimistic to wildly pessimistic at times - T2 to Drumcondra was as little as 10 on some peak services (implausible) and is now 40 (you'd do it without the M1 in 40)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

There was a lot of talk a while back of DB bringing back the Airlink in some shape or form but all gone quiet now. Anyone have any update on this

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I presume DB have to get their house in order and be fully able to run their own PSO services reliably plus the upcoming bus connects additions before they will go back to running a commercial airport service.

It'll be interesting to see when these new aircoach timetables come in how quickly they change them given the lighter traffic volumes with schools off.

This mornings 8am 702 from Greystones did the run to SuperValu Bray in 16 minutes and obviously had to wait until 8.25

From Monday that's due to leave Greystones at 7.20 and has 1hr 10 mins to get to Supervalu Bray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭john boye

Speaking of the 747, some absolute whopper has just been on Newstalk lamenting the loss of it and explaining how he has to drive to the airport now as he doesn't know where to get the Dublin Express coach. Obviously the useless host sympathised fully with him instead of asking why he couldn't just look up where to get the coach

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Does anyone know what is happening with Aircoach this morning as the new (deferred) timetables were supposed to be coming in today, yet the front page still points to temporary timetables.

There are no 700/702 services at all tracking on their own site or Bustimes.org, and the 703 is not tracking either (which is less surprising as it's supposed to be cancelled as part of the new network), but the 701 is which suggests at least that part of the new network may be running.

In other news, Aircoach recently brought an ice cream truck over from the UK for marketing purposes rather than use a local operator, that'll do good for the environment. Surely they could have used someone local?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭belfast stephen

have heard that Aircoach new double decker buses have been bought for the city centre service from Dublin airport now its just a Rumour i would be surprised if true

• Advertisement

Yup the new network started yesterday.

Some of the services are tracking this morning on bustimes but not all

Aircoach also haven't amended any of the bus stops, a few people waiting at cherrywood flyover this morning heading for the airport. 702 stop pole still there, but no bus serves it now as the 702 uses the flyover and the 700 comes down from cherrywood and doesn't pass it.

I'd imagine simple stuff like that will cause a fair bit of confusion

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

First Monday morning of the new services and some observations on the 702 running times.

The 06.20 from Greystones had to hold itself for around 5 minutes each time at Bray, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire and Blackrock. Even still was then 16 minutes early at the 3Arena & didn't hold there. A good 35 mins running time worth of holding etc

The 07.20 which is timetabled for 1hr 10 mins to Bray in the morning held itself at the terminus in Greystones until 07:35 and even doing that arrived at Wilton Bray @ 07:56 and held itself at there for 20 mins to 08:16 & is after arriving at Supervalu Bray at 08:24.

While from the airport the 06:40 ran the full route with 45 mins to spare at Greystones.

Aircoach should be giving serious consideration to implementing the weekend timetable during the summer months and non term time. Personally I don't think they'll pay any attention.

An afternoon update... the 14.50 from Greystones got to the airport 62 minutes early and didn't even bother holding time at various points on the route. The hour allocated for Booterstown to 3Arena took it 15 mins.

Post edited by stephenjmcd on

Whilst the timetables are clearly not going to work as they are too padded during the summer months, unless they get the schedules sorted out, if a bus doesn't wait at each stops (and I understand that it's frustrating for those on board to sit around and move nowhere) then how on earth are passengers supposed to know what time to be at the stop for? What is it going to be? Turn up randomly at a stop and hope for the best as your bus can arrive at any point? I don't think that's viable when a bus is only once an hour.

I'd agree, but today shows the majority of services did indeed wait, but some didn't and ran extremely early through stops, some 10-15 mins ahead

Main point is the timetables need changing for summer, likely to the weekend one

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Paul2019

For me, the biggest sin a bus operator can commit is to be unreliable.

Running early or not at all makes it an unreliable service.

Having been left stuck and without information at the 702 Schoolhouse stop not once but twice, I abandoned Aircoach.

Ashamed to say I now use my car for Airport runs - DAA must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Do we know if the 702 has plans to reuse the (former) aircoach stops on the Strand road / Sean Moore road that were previously used before 2017 (when the service was amended to go through the city)

Bus route has them go through through the previously used route from St. Vincent's hospital to/from the 3 Arena, though the stops aren't served any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭p_haugh

AFAIK, they just moved around the routes without adding any "new" stops at all, likely to avoid any issues getting NTA approval or even issues waiting on infrastructure changes (since technically the Sean Moore Road stops would be treated as "new" stops).

The new Dalkey-N11 link on the 702 is another example of where stops could be added (i.e. at the Graduate/Killiney Shopping Centre). The 700 could also do with a set of stops by the Lep Inn IMO now that it passes it

Haven't used the Aircoach in a long time but I used to find if you had a friendly word with the driver they'd let out at DB stop you wanted.

IHow bad was it. I didn't see.

Be interesting to see if there are actually cancellations in reality and they've simply took down the notices or the services are actually running.

• Advertisement

I think it was something like 6 outbound and inbound 700 services and probably around the same 701 with 702 having 1 inbound and 2 outbound cancelled.

Majority were all between 8pm-2am ish tonight

Looking at the tracking tonight it looks like the cancellations went ahead unless there are some services not tracking on their site and BusTimes.

Only seems to be 2-3 active vehicles each on the 700 and the 701 at present with each route seemingly running at half the advertised frequency (so basically once an hour each).

Post edited by devnull on

Read elsewhere that Aircoach drivers are working to rule at present

Looks to have been a few canceled on the 700 later last night / early hours this morning.

Likewise for the 702. Don't think the 07:20 from Greystones has ran this morning either.

701 isn't tracking properly on bustimes.

Reports of issues with services again this evening with some missing in action.

Bustimes.org tracking hasn't worked for Aircoach since this morning and whilst the Aircoach 'Track My Coach' feature appears to be functional, it's not showing many services.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LF403

Most days there are a total of 25 ish cancellations over 24 hours since the new changes. The worst I've come across (so far) was 50 cancellations over 24 hours. This is due to drivers calling in sick far more often, and some who have headed for the hills. Many drivers are being placed on rotas that don't suit them, with no option to transfer, so they are refusing to work.

The current official industrial action is a "Work Under Protest" while the matter is being sent to the labour courts.

Service Cancellations on Aircoach
    The cancellations of services continues to occur, with a number of early morning services on the 700 and 702 not operating this morning which is the last time you want to have an unreliable service

The 700 timetable on the Aircoach website and the timetables page continues to advertise that the service runs up to 15 minute intervals as well which is confusing people. The timetable itself might be correct, but is it too hard to change the text?

Customer Service Update
    Aircoach are now no longer monitoring Facebook or Instagram, as their recently added disclaimers on both social media sites now say.

In addition, today Aircoach have removed the 'Contact Us' form from the Help section of their website, you now have to go through a long list of FAQs before you can find an option that says 'Unable to find your answer' to reach the contact form.

The customer service on Twitter also leaves a lot to be desired, with someone reporting an issue with on-street furniture being told to contact Translink (??) and very little customer empathy in general about the poor service being provided as of late.

Post edited by devnull on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I have never asked Aircoach (probably wouldn't get an answer anyway) and was wondering if anybody knows why they wont accept the old age free travel pass on their O'Connell St to Airport to Belfast route?

Advertisement