Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't think the majority of parents chose to vaccinate their children for Covid. I might be wrong but I thought the uptake rate for Under 15s or maybe U12s was very low indeed.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

The mind boggles. It took a degree to get you from a knuckle dragger anti measles/polio/smallpox to appreciate vaccines. My interest in vaccines was minimal pre-covid. Took my travel ones had all my childhood shots vaccinated my kids and still do. Made an educated choice on the Covid one after a lot of my own research which proved correct. Was not necessary for me. No one can still give me a definition of that ofter thrown out word here 'anti-vaxxer'. Anyone who was a blanket anti vaxxer pre Covid is on another level of intelligence (and thats not a compliment).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

@snowcat since you are thread banned I won't be responding further to your comments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't know about everyone, but I presume most posters get that a lot of people who are routinely vaccinated don't do it solely for themselves. It is typically of benefit to them but the benefit in the main is to the population as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭wandererz

Going to to the pharmacy on Saturday, before the opticians appointment, to get a shot. Shame? No shame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭vswr

This whole statement is a contradiction…. gets all other vaccines, says they're fully informed and researched it all themselves…

But decides COVID vaccine wasn't for them.

So they buy into the likes of MMR (which requires a population size immunity of 95%, one of the reasons why we're seeing measles outbreaks is because it has dropped below that 95%)..

But, during a global pandemic, decides a vaccine is a bad idea…

Absolutely hilarious :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Are you trying to suggest that the poster was irrational(absolutely hilarious) for buying into a vaccine that is highly effective in eradicating a virus if administered to more than 95% of the population. The mmr vaccine works brilliantly. Why would the poster not buy into that?
    Sounds like you are an anti-vaxxer!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think the point was that it is odd to "buy into that" and be very much against the Covid vaccines. Presuming the poster by their talk is a male, between 20 and 40, Measles is unlikely to kill them, Mumps even less so (although a friend had hilarious/tragic side effects and had to wear a sling around his testicles for awhile), Rubella I am unsure of but I guess close to mumps. The mortality rate of Covid in the first wave was higher than that of the Mumps and Rubella by a lot but for some reason, a vaccine that reduces severity and infection time is not a good vaccine and unnecessary.

The only truly hilarious thing is the belief that lots of people taking vaccines is only for them. A lot may believe that but, yet again, that is not why we aim for mass vaccination. This was heavily shown over the pandemic in news reports and infographics, no different than the ones seen in college lectures.

I didn't take the vaccine to save my life, I took so that the risk to those who were more at risk would be less, simple as that. Yes there was the added benefit that the risk to me was reduced but if I was the only person I cared about, I wouldn't actually have given a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And the other 'public benefit' for those outside the cohorts considered 'vulnerable', is that there was still a risk of hospitalization and ICU. Smaller than for the vulnerable. Smaller risk of death - because the medical treatment would probably ensure they pull through.

But given population size, that would translate into numbers in hospital. Taking up a hospital bed that could have been avoided with vaccination.

This is important in the context of an outbreak of the infectious disease.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,033 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Vaccines are one of the most effective medical treatments we've ever created.

An estimated 300 million people died from Smallpox in the last century. There is a long and growing list of diseases that we are eradicating and reducing the effects of.

I've never seen a single positive objective comment from yourself about these vaccines, is there a valid reason for that?

Would I be right in guessing you took a stance against Covid vaccines before they were even out?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Lets see how many of this crowd change their minds when offered an MRNA Cancer vaccine. My guess they would be first in the queue!

Please try reading what I said about the mmr vaccine again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

I appreciate this wasn't asked of me, but thought I'd answer anyway.

Vaccines are one of the most effective medical treatments we've ever created.

100% in agreement.

An estimated 300 million people died from Smallpox in the last century. There is a long and growing list of diseases that we are eradicating and reducing the effects of.

Smallpox vaccine is brilliant.

I've never seen a single positive objective comment from yourself about these vaccines, is there a valid reason for that?

Vaccines are one of the most effective medical treatments we've ever created. Smallpox vaccine is brilliant. So now you have seen a positive comment.

Would I be right in guessing you took a stance against Covid vaccines before they were even out?

No, you wouldn't be right. I was delighted when vaccines were announced, and would have no hesitation in getting it if it was offered to me in January 2021. It was only around mid 2021 that I became hesitant specifically about the Covid vaccine.

And my kids are vaxxed to the hilt for all the usual suspects, except Covid.

Am I a rabid anti-vaxxer?

It's a general question.

From any perspective your posts paint a picture that you are "anti Covid vaccines". Does anything you've written dispute that?

Against a vaccine that nearly every adult in this country has taken..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

absolutely, no need for anyone to be ashamed, the proportion of serious illness, hospital admissions and death in the vaccinated was massively lower compared to unvaccinated.

Well done to the the massive , massive majority of people in Ireland (approx 95%of adults) who got on with life and didn’t try and dispute the advice of public health experts who had to make (sometimes imperfect )evidence based recommendations in good faith for the greater good. We (as a nation) did fine in our vaccination programme and as a nation definitely benefited , even if there were some less than optimal issues on masks and restrictions.

Masks played a significant and positive roll in improving health outcomes.

Please don’t say you would do something just because nearly everyone else did. I’m sure you were taught that as a child.

75 million people voted for Donald Trump in 2020, and he will more than likely be voted back into the White House in a few months.

90% of voters in Russia voted for Vladimir Putin.

Or does doing something en masse only count when it suits a narrative

Post edited by Spiderman0081 on

The gene therapy infusions, already available, are a precursor to it being condensed into vaccine form, using MRNA technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

This type of ambiguious comment is entertaining. Do you refer to properly worn n95 masks? Cloth ones? Hand over the face mask? The ones the Muslims wear? The ones motorcyclists wear? The ones you see on dashboards of cars? A virus particle will behave like a smoke particle. Try and contain that in any mask. Its like saying lockdown contributed to positive health outcomes. Yes it might have specific to Covid but it sure as hell contributed to a lot of misery elsewhere.

Unfortunately you are special as most people who take a vaccine are looking after number 1. Hence the drop off in Covid Vaccine uptake.

The commonly prescribed medical grade masks. Viruses do not move freely in the air, they move on mucus which is very effectively stopped by wearing appropriate medical grade masks. This has been well understood in the far east for decades and anyone with an infective cold type disease uses them to protect their fellow citizens.

Wearing a mask takes very little effort from the individual and does a lot to stop the spread of disease. It's just another paranoid anti-vaxxers trope to claim otherwise.

Thats not agreed. As a First responder i have experience of proper use of N95 mask. Donning and doffing a N95 mask is not a "very little effort" and it is highly unlikely they will ever be used correctly by the general public.

It's a simple question. Are you against the Covid vaccines?

It looks to me like you were against them before they were even available..

And here come the anti-mask and anti-lockdown types

The fact that you think it’s simply a matter of for or against is quite telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I don’t think so. The only reason I took it was to protect the vulnerable (I got Covid early on before the vaccine was available) and it was the same with every one of my friends and indeed colleagues I’ve spoken to since - none of us would have bothered if it was just for our own protection. I can’t speak to the reasons of the entire population but I’d say there was a fair whack just doing their bit to protect others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

How is getting a covid vaccine any worse than getting covid?

Once covid was in the population we were all going to get it. I’m glad I got the vaccine to help prepare my immune system for covid itself.

• Advertisement

"Largest study on masks and Covid-19 demonstrates their effectiveness in the real world

Results
    from EGC affiliate Mushfiq Mobarak and coauthors’ recent paper clearly
    demonstrate that mask usage reduces Covid-19, highlighting how masks
    should continue to play a vital role in fighting the pandemic. "

https://egc.yale.edu/largest-study-masks-and-covid-19-demonstrates-their-effectiveness-real-world

Masks are effective with a reduction of infections of around 10%.

Advertisement