Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin road spin recommendations please- 50-80km

Options
  • 03-07-2024 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Will be in Dublin in August for a gig, would like to take my road bike with me and go for a spin in the afternoon, about 50-80km. I'd be starting from city center but if there's a much nice route starting elsewhere I'd drive to there. As most of my spins are in the countryside I don't mind cycling amongst cars and people for a change, but not ruling out countryside either.

Have never been to Howth, Malahide & heard they're lovely spots. Suitable for cycling?

Thanks in advance,

Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Midweek or weekend ?Not sure either is great to start a spin from in Dublin city centre.Best case lively traffic ,worst case like Ben Hur chariot scene . .Howth road after inner city departure would toughen you up (Real cyclists dont use bike lanes ?!)If driving out of city an option Id take it .Maybe Blessington lakes lap ?(Park at The Square ?)Even twenty years ago mixing it with the traffic was an adrenaline rush .Id imagine its crazy nowadays.Not a thing to dip your toe in as a noob to the mean streets.Square Cinema is cheapest also …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

17km from O'Connell St to Howth via the coast road cycle track. So long as you're confident on the bike and can take the road, outbound from the city will be fine. Then do a climb of Howth Hill, and head out to Malahide via Baldoyle/Portmarnock.

Malahide Road inbound has painted white line cycle lane for most of it. Again, not a problem for an experienced cyclist. Between Malahide village and Northern Cross is almost country esque roads, hold your lane and you will be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how fit are you? the kippure mast is about 26km from the city centre. i think with about 900m of climbing to get there…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Cheers. Sounds good but I'll be in a road bike/racer.

Thanks, this sounds like a good one. I'm from a Cork city suburb & lived in Dublin for a while so am not put off by traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Out the bike path to howth. do a lap of howth and then over towards Portmarnocjk and then to Malahide. go under the M1 by the estuary and across to swords go to balheary and then turn back towards finglas and into the city.

If you have a computer you can download the Great Dublin bike ride which covers a lot of the route

https://thegreatirelandbikeride.ie/routes/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are doing Howth Head, then the climb is slightly steeper as you ascend from the village side rather than the approach via the Howth Golf Club side (i.e. from an anticlockwise direction). Neither are particularly strenuous for a capable cyclist though (which I'm assuming you are!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW i prefer to climb from the village and descend looking down into dublin bay. you get to enjoy the view more that way, and the descent along the bay is more fun than the more technical one if you descend into the village.

Cheers. This looks lit a good plan. I'll definitely do Howth head & climb from the village.

As to an earlier question, it'll be a Tuesday (in August) but if I manage to Dublin early I'd be cycling early afternoon so avoid traffic home from work (even though I'm guessing those roads are busy all the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Me thinks this is a thinly veiled " I'll be up from Cork to snatch a few KOM's in Dublin " , Pa is no slouch on the bicycle 😉

i think he's from galway…

Ye're both close. I'm from Cork but living in Galway for 20+ years. Had a knee op recently (torn meniscus) and am still just building strength back up so it's just a casual spin somewhere new & scenic.

I'll post the Strava link afterwards.

just a casual spin

that's kippure out for you so!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I prefer going up the other way but turning off for wind gates and then descending, albeit slowly through the estate that's their and then back up village side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Best of luck with the recovery, I've had both knees done over the years, so thankful we only have 2 legs 😂

Advertisement