Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I respectfully disagree. We as a society collected money widely to save the 'black babies'. We sent that money along with priests, brothers and nuns to the likes of Nigeria on the African Missions. We converted villages and towns to Catholicism, built schools to inculcate religious and other instruction into them. We gave them Irish names and in several places they play Gaelic games even now. We were part of the wider European movement to colonise and exploit Africa, albeit not quite as openly as exploiting their mineral resources. We concentrated on their human and cultural resources. We have a connection thus to parts of Nigeria and other African regions where the Missions were active.

On the other hand, we owe diddly squat to those from regions and states of an Islamic persuasion. Nothing to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

Nothing like giving people in the country a wet week, housing ahead of locals waiting years, to piss off an electorate. Wait till people realise they can't get healthcare appointments due to long delays caused by this influx in population.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Gamergurll

I'm still convinced there's a large cohort who will be largely unaffected and even when they are will think up multiple reasons to blame other things, the ignorance and sometimes damn stupidity of the far left is astonishing

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Explain why perhaps?

And perhaps go learn something more of our 20th century history as a state. The large numbers that entered the religious and the works they did and were sent on etc. A history that people now will not know much of, as it's largely unspoken of. Certainly in rural Ireland, it was the ambition of many families to have at least one son a priest and others as brothers and nuns. My wifes family would be not at all unusual in having 3 religious as uncles, two who went on the missions and one who taught here. I had an uncle too who spent most of his life in Africa and so on. Very typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭sekiro

That's the problem. By the time it is affecting more people it will be too late to do anything other than taking drastic action.

There's a tendency, I notice, on here for people to come up with some form of deflection with situations like this.

If someone was to post, say, that Dublin is expensive as they had to pay X amount for a pint of Guinness you'll almost immediately have someone coming along to say "well, I actually paid significantly less than that in a bar the other day".

If I go to a hotel and try to book a room but they say "sorry bud we've no rooms but here's a mattress and a sleeping bag if you want to find a spot in the basement car park" then it's fair enough to say that the hotel is full. Nobody would argue with you on that. Yet we can send 100s of blokes onto the city streets with a tent and anyone who says "Ireland is full" is just branded a racist.

Even if we being to see headlines similar to those seen in France, Sweden and Germany there will still be a small enough number of victims that people can just ignore it or play it down. Sure, we've had crime in Ireland since forever so maybe you're just mad because it's non-Irish doing the crimes, you racist.

I'd love to hear someone who supports all this explain to me what the long term benefit is supposed to be. Say we could wipe out all of the racists tomorrow and just get on with giving these blokes their tents and let them pee and poop in the canal and bring in more and more and more of them what is the end goal? We aren't building homes for them, we aren't scaling public services to deal with the influx. The 99.6% are just fine with all this?

Does anyone sincerely think it's a good idea to, for example, take hotels that would normally be getting their income from overseas tourists or Irish people using their expendable income and just use Irish taxpayer money to pay for people to stay in them for free?

What is going to happen when the money runs out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Because we sent them money and built schools we now have a duty to house them here? how bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Meanwhile back in the real world, stopping immigration is in no way comparable to turning off a water supply.

Desperate people already go to great lengths to come to Europe, and while conditions remain as they are in the global south, they will continue to do so.

People who wish to flee either persecution and/or extreme poverty these days have quite ready access to information telling them how to get to Europe and live here, undocumented if necessary.

The EU already spends billions funding the likes of Turkey and Libya to stop these people, only causing more human suffering and likely actually increasing demand to get here as families get more in debt to unscrupulous people traffickers.

Simplistic approaches like 'build the wall', 'stop the boats' or turn off the water supply have and will fail. At least the UK voting public seem to have learnt these lessons with Ree-Mogg's recent promises to 'build a wall' in the English channel rightly met with derision. I think in time a wider appreciation will grow that these narratives are nothing more than lies to get cheap votes, even if some seem quite determined to keep drinking and selling the kool aid right now.

We didn't just build schools. These people were of African tribes with their own unique ways, beliefs & customs. We went in and set about converting them into good little Catholics & Protestants, we set about persuading them that a European way of life is better and what they should be aspiring too.

I have little time for the argument that because many Irish emigrated to find work elsewhere, that we someone have a duty of care to everyone who wants to rock up here now.

But in the case of the work of our religious, we deliberately set out to influence and convert certain areas of Africa. This work was supported by both society and state here and we have a responsibility for the consequences. It's not a coincidence that Nigerians want to come to Ireland. There's a price to be paid for our interference in these regions.

But as for many others landing up, I'd stop them entering and anyone that does get through, interviewed and repatriated to whence they came from as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But those priests and nuns who went to Africa were not going there representing Ireland. Ireland didn't decide one day, do you know what lets send a load of priests and nuns out to Africa to spread the word of God. Those priests and nuns were there on behalf of the Vatican, not Ireland, they may have been Irish but they were only there because the Vatican sent them there. As for the money sent from collection like Trocaire, that was done to support the poor in those countries, Are you going to say the same about the money collected for those affected by the Tsumani in Indonesia in 2004 would make us responsible for those people as well?

Europe hasn't even begun to get tough with illegal immigration to Europe but it will and academic terms like " global south" aren't going to factor into policy change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Post edited by Real Donald Trump on

I don't think you understand Holy Catholic Ireland of the decades from 1940s-1970s. Largely a rural society under the control of Irish clergy, large families with insufficient land to hand on, having priests/ nuns in the family was a badge of respect and also employment opportunity. We produced a huge surplus of religious in those days and the African Missions from here were very much an Irish initiative. In part to give that surplus, 'meaningful' roles to carry out. This is something we own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

This is quite a take. "They built schools so we owe them". How was their life made worse by missionaries? Do you think that they like to go back to mud huts and witch doctors or would they have welcomed some of what was brought over with missionaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭emo72

You're digging really really deep here. Look sometimes it's ok to admit you were wrong. There's no shame in it. I too have no problem admitting when I got something wrong. No harm. But this line of argument you are on now is off the wall, off the Richter scale, OTT, lacks credibility. Please stop mate, you're digging way too deep.

???

I just happen to be of the opinion that we have a greater degree of responsibility as regards immigration to certain areas of Africa where we were active on the Missions.

You don't agree. That's fine - but don't try to patronise, thank you :) The point of this site/ thread is to exchange opinions I believe? And there are nuances in the whole immigration thing. I'm as opposed to the increasing wholesale change of Irish culture here but it's not entirely black & white.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭star61

Who would have ruled say Nigeria in that time - when all the religious were sent from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You have accused others of being disingenuous when they have said exactly that ..that the immigration situation is nuanced , and not black and white .

Good that you now see another side to it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/12/06/the-secretive-libyan-prisons-that-keep-migrants-out-of-europe

I don't think people realize how tough Europe already is on migration, and the efforts are failing.

The new migration pact is probably a further push in that direction, I'm pretty sure it'll fail too.

At least people will be more aware of the approach now with all the publicity the pact is getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-eviction-6426814-Jul2024/

What a mess of a situation our government has caused .

It's about as tough as the American policy towards illegal immigration across it's southern border

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

You say "We have a greater responsibility ". That's where the argument breaks down. Its not that 'we' sent missionaries abroad, it was at the instruction or behest of the Catholic church/Vatican. There was no role in this whatsoever by the state or the governments of the time. Similarly with Trocaire boxes. All done through Catholic charities with no state input.

For your argument to stand up, you need to agree that Spain & Portugal are also on the hook to import & welcome economic migrants from all of South America to their lands as it was they who exported Catholicism via the conquistadors in the 1600s. What about the Calvinist protastant pilgrims who brought religion to native american indians. Is England responsible to take the decendents of Mohawk or Cree ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭engineerws

Hardly incendiary. I would expect if you look at under 60s population, probably over half are either foreign born, married to a foreign born person or have a foreign born parent.

Most people might recognise there are capacity issues but there seems to be few that are presenting those issues in a way that is respectful to people with diverse non Irish backgrounds. I don't see swathes of ethnic Irish people rising up against their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭ooter

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

If EU Member States are that rigid on asylum policy as is, the implementation of policies of deterrence consistent with the Danish model would be a minor policy development - one worth pursuing considering the results obtained by Denmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Genuine question to those who just want white Irish people on this island…

Read any junior cert book on biology or genetics and it'll tell you that in order to produce genetically better humans, you need diversity so we don't all end up like Charles II of Spain.

If you have pride in living on this island and calling yourself Irish, would your dream for us all involve doing your everything to ensure future generations of Irish are inbred?

Is that actually the long game here or am I misunderstanding the goal of these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭fran38

Who in the name of **** only wants white people in Ireland? Who said that ffs? Or are you baiting/trolling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement