Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

Minister was getting a grilling on News at One about why his Dept had commissioned this research from ESRI that didn't make any attempt to measure pent up demand.

On the face of it a fair question, and he basically said that they already had the Housing Commission's estimate of 250k, the Central Bank's of circa 120k and Housing Europe of 180k, so there was little point in asking the ESRI to throw their hat in the ring too.

I wouldn't be too quick to praise O'Brien but I thought it was a fair point.

I think reading between the lines the ESRI are in fairly strong disagreement with Housing Commission on the estimate, and it would probably cause more problems than it solves to have them come out with a wildly different figure. I suspect they were gently encouraged to leave it well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How about the poor sod paying 500k and him being the one who needed the affordable subsidy on top of it…………..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The person who has no choice and needs a suitable place to live. However, I agree with your sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

"100k is nothing in Dublin really". This is absolute nonsense in reality, lets have a look at some of the actual statistics:

The median household income in Ireland in 2023 was €55k.

As of early 2024 about 357,000 households now earn more than €100k jointly. Or circa 20% of the households in the country.

And as mentioned on a previous page, alternatively for an individual earner, it puts someone in the top 7% of earners in Ireland.

So someone in either the top 7% of earners individually, or a household in the top 20% if income, is the income now required to buy "affordable housing".

Not quite "nothing", I think most people would agree.

And also objectively hugely worrying - what are the other 80% of households meant to do exactly? What are they to afford, if heavily subsidized 'affordable' housing in Coolock is out of their price range? We're not talking about private sector, 5 bedroom detached houses in Donnybrook, being unaffordable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

is that household income stat not disposable income (I.e. after tax etc) rather than salary?

So when adjusted your 20% becomes something like 80%

• Advertisement

No.

"In 2016, the median household income in Ireland was €45,256. Adjusting
    for inflation to 2020 (the latest year for which income data is
    available), the equivalent median household income is approximately
    €55,000"

https://gamma.ie/2023/03/22/geographical-home-affordability-patterns-in-ireland/

Though the article I quoted from was from 2023 their data does appear to be from 2020, so it certainly is more than 55k now I'll concede.

But even allowing for significant income increases since between 2020 and now (off the top of my head its at about 15%?) median income is going to be at most circa 65,000 now. Nowhere near 100k household income being a common thing.

CSO stats which show that the figures relate to disposable income and are identical to the figures you quoted in original post.

The CSO disposable income figure doesn't discount much income.

" disposable income is after some payments have been deducted:

• Interest paid
    • Social contributions (such as PRSI) and pension contributions
    • Tax like income tax, capital gains tax and Universal Social Charge
    • Miscellaneous transfers like donations and subscriptions to Non-Profit Organisations"

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/statisticsexplained/nationalaccountsexplained/householdgrossdisposableincome/

Someone earning €32,500 a year only pays approx €4,600e a year in taxes. Which would mean an after tax household disposable income of €55k would equate to a pre-tax household income of approx €65k, as above.

And again, even if inflated by another 10%, or 20%, or even 30% its absolutely miles away from €100k being a common household income. €100k is by any reckoning tens of thousands of euros above the median household income, nevermind being "nothing" as claimed.

the median earnings for Dublin was 46,136 in 2022 According to cso

So that would be 92k (46k x 2). Allow for the fact that we have seen wage inflation and 100k as the median income for a couple working doesn’t seem that crazy or way off the mark as you claim which yet again shows that the figures in your original post to be questionable at best seeing as I highlighted that they relate to disposable income. As for your follow on post you do realise we have a highly progressive tax system….don’t think anymore needs to be said on that and how it impacts disposable income.

Source :

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Murt2024

If the median is 55k for a couple they to upskill instead of thinking the state will provide for them in handy jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

we have a highly progressive tax system….

Edit Correction (post relates to the redistributive nature of taxation, rather than progressiveness)

I'd love to see a forensic independent analysis of this statement as it constantly rammed down our throats by the media.

The department of housing budget is approaching if not exceeding 8 billion. The nations wealth is predominantly held in housing/property so is it the wealthy or the less well off that are the beneficiaries of this spend. Every measure introduced by the housing minister has resulted in an increase in property values thereby benefitting the wealth owners of the state.

We are on slightly below median income for our area, as a couple, according to timing belts post, however I am aware of several colleagues who earn more than us who are recepients of medical cards plus associated benefits simply because of their outgoings on accommodation costs. Is this a benefit to the less well off or a further hidden subsidy to bloated property owners

carbon tax is highly regressive paid predominantly by the poor with the proceeds going to the well off in housing renovation grants, new electric cars etc. Vat is very high and impacts those who live pay cheque to pay cheque most on a percentage basis. Half the working population have no pension and of the ones that do the tax benefits favour higher incomes

Is "progressive tax system" the same as €630,000 2 bed apartments "affordable housing" in Limerick? Discuss

Post edited by Villa05 on

Not getting nto a debate on tax as this is a housing forum and not tax a tax forum.

OP stated tax etc didn’t discount much income which is totally not the case especially when you get into higher tax brackets. My point was simple that this is bs because the more you earn the more tax you pay (I.e. progressive tax system) so there is a big difference between disposable income (as defined by cso) and gross income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

And don't start me on the lack of services especially basic health services. So many of the poorer countries have better services than us.

Some people live in a bubble here.

Living the life

I pay about 40-45k in tax each year. That's money that I will not only never benefit from, but rather it's money given to a state that will use it to create the mayhem that has become "normal" in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Absolutely!

We are a rich country perhaps on paper but definitely not in real life. Houses are heavily inflated assets. I will like to see how our rich country will look for the average Joe soap when they get older 55+ when aches and pains may hit them and don't have access to average surgery (pop few pills ibuprofen and you will be grand) and they can't pay their rent. See how rich we are.

Living the life

Really it's the decay of the GDP model. This is a dire metric of success for a country as it merely measures the amount of money in the economy and not anything really tangible. The money itself is just FIAT funny-money, ergo after the absolutely insane printing of cash over the last four years, it has risen even though life is objectively worsening.

I don't know where this is going to end up, but we can look to countries like the USA or the UK, where things are seemingly a little further along than here. I'm not at all optimist about the future.

I've no idea why you're complaining about the "highly progressive tax system", I merely quoted how much tax is paid at those incomes to show what the median disposable income figure would translate to in gross income.

And, again, you arguing about a few thousand here or there doesn't change the point I was replying to - which claimed a household income of €100k per year was extremely common and was "nothing" these days.

Even if a household income of €92k was the median (which its not, but we'll go with your figure for the sake of it), that would mean only a minority of households are earning over €100k. Which, again, makes the whole concept of that being a reasonable entry level income requirement for 'affordable housing' in Coolock absolutely bonkers.

"Affordable housing" in working class areas by any reasonable logical definition would need to be affordable to households on substantially less income than the median income - maybe half of it. Working class people are by definition earning less than the median.

not my figure…it’s the cso figures which show the median income for Dublin back in 2022….that should be a reliable source which backs up the claim that 2 people working on the median (not average) would be close to 100k. Which is very different to your original post claiming only top 20% of earners would have this income.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The idea that 2x median incomes is a common household income is nonsense. I'm pretty sure this has been debunked several times in this thread in the past.

Last year we had posters claiming 200k household incomes were common in Dublin - because 100k individual incomes are common, sure why not 2 for a couple.

Of course the stats do not lie and proved it was nonsense

A significant percentange of households in Ireland don't have two incomes.

2x individual median incomes != not the median household income.

Your very own CSO figure that you posted gave a median household disposable income of €55k per year after tax. Which, as I posted, would suggest a gross household income of circa €65k. Nowhere close to €100k.

• Advertisement

They are not my statistics…they come from CSO.

The average weekly gross household earnings is 90k in 2023 as per CSO and not 65k.

OP claimed a couple on a combined gross income of 100k in Dublin was the top 20%….a assumption based on a statistic of disposable income after tax prsi pension contributions etc. rather than just say I didn’t realise this they doubled down and said there wasn’t much difference between gross and disposable and it was negligible. The cso stats say otherwise and show an average household income of 90k for Ireland (so will be higher for Dublin no doubt)

Yes this is average and not median and will include people retired, on benefits, working part time and full time employees which does not support that it is only the top 20% and debunks the back of a fag packed calculation that OP doubled down on.

A bit of a surprising stat: 30% of first time buyers are single

This may indicate that the highest earners are the beneficiaries of the various government schemes to purchase property. Further digging required but it is a surprising stat

would be interested to know what they define as single and if it truly is FTB.

reason being that there will be a lot of people separated/divorced that are paying way more than a mortgage on rent and will have the necessary deposits etc but are locked out of housing market as won’t be able to get a mortgage because the way the banks take into account maintenance payments etc…. When these ‘FTB’ schemes were launched it also addressed this issue and although some of these people previously owned joint properties would be considered FTB in certain circumstances and this may explain it.

Some more detail

According to the Central Bank, almost 30 per cent of first-time buyers last year were single buyers – this is down on 2021, however, when 32 per cent of buyers were single

The 30% figure appears to be consistent every year

Despite paying more today, ftb are getting less in terms of house size. Not only have we an inflation issue, we also have shrinkflation

Average deposit is 75k

Self builds look to be a big contributing factor

This may well be one of the ironies of today’s housing market – those who can buy, and avail of help-to-buy, for example, or gifts from family, have more than enough funds

When these ‘FTB’ schemes were launched it also addressed this issue and although some of these people previously owned joint properties would be considered FTB in certain circumstances and this may explain it.

This was a recent change it would not account for the 2021 figure of 32% of ftb being single

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

not surprising

HTB requires new builds and 70+% LTV. In Dublin, the cheapest new home you can buy is 400k, generally a 1-bed or a 2-bed if outside of the city, so need a salary of at least 70k.

Average is a very different, much less relevant, figure to median. If you don't understand the difference between the two it explains a lot.

I highlighted that it was average and not median in my post. Is that the best you have got?

• Advertisement

Increasingly our taxes and state assets are being used to "assist" Middle to upper income range population cope with unsustainable prices and increase the wealth of asset owners

This is not sustainable, another term of FFG will be a disaster for the economy

He points to the new Land Development Agency cost-rental scheme in Citywest. There, tenants are being charged €1,390 for a one-bedroom, €1,580 for a two-bedroom and €1,750 for a three-bedroom

Advertisement