Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villagers - Trinity series, 29th June

Options
  • 24-06-2024 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Have seen nothing at all really about this gig, anywhere, anyone on here going?

Haven't seen any info on ticket sales either but it didn't sell out anyway as tickets are still on sale. I know there's the Swift gig that night too, but don't think there would be too much crossover with that one anyway..

Their recent setlists have included all bar one song from the new album, but I think it's a tour of that album name, maybe the Trinity one will be more wide ranging. Interested in other thoughts etc on the gig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭ngunners

I saw them at the release of the new album in Tower Records and that was enough of a Villagers fix for me. How was the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I nearly would have gone for Sea Power. Love them, it's been a few years. Bizarre, them popping up as support here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I only went for them. Well worth the long drive, even just for 45 minutes. They had a good crowd, but the amount of people that came in late and missed them...Silly people.

That was their first gig outside of the UK with the new name. Weirdly, it was actually their first gig abroad since the last time they were over in Ireland back in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah, I'd love to see them back for their own gig. Was that the one in Whelan's? Great live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah they played Whelans on that tour. Great gig. Probably the best of the 5 gigs of theirs that I've seen in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

I was there with my wife and daughter. Not the most enjoyable but that might be down to me. I found Sea Power to be too loud and discordant - something I might enjoy in other circumstances but not expected as a warm-up for Villagers. Villagers were very good I thought but you would need to be familiar with the new album (as I was) to get the most out of it. First four or five songs were all new tracks and the casual punter might not have appreciated that. Conor was working hard to generate an atmosphere and he seemed to have succeeded in that for the main audience at the front of the stage, but I stayed near the back with my wife and there was a lot of talking and laughing going on and not a lot of interest with what was happening onstage. Maybe in hindsight there was too much already going on in Dublin that day, dominated (quite rightly) by TS. We had parked in Ballsbridge earlier in the day and my family wanted to leave early to catch the last few songs outside the Aviva, and while I would have liked to stay for the whole gig, I didn't complain too much. (Great positive atmosphere all around Ballsbridge and the TS gig sounded like excellent fun)
    Conor is probably better suited to an indoor environment and I have tickets for Villagers in Dolan's Limerick in December - I think that will be a lot better. Saw Villagers there a few years ago and it was a cracking gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭ngunners

Talking at an outdoor summer gig, particularly a 'quieter' artist like Villagers, is unavoidable unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

Yes, I suppose. Had I been on my own I would have moved up closer to the stage, so as I say it was partly down to me and where we chose to stand…

Advertisement