Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

That's one of the longest sentences I've ever read. I almost had to pause for breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 StakeholderValue

Some facts:

97% in favour of IA based on a 98% e vote turnout.

99% in favour of IA based on a 89% paper ballot turnout.

Post edited by StakeholderValue on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It will be interesting to see how this holds in the next ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Those,not in favour of IA, are very much in an isolated position. I wonder have those not in favour, openly discussed this with their colleagues who voted in favour

As in, could this small minority help with getting other members to change their mind.

Unions are belligerent, and it seem IALPA are no different. I'll caveat that by saying IAG SM, seem to be as equally belligerent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

industrial action might not necessarily have meant a strike as opposed to WTR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Ballots normally include upto and including strike action.

First step is often only doing contractual hours/role.

Limited strike next.

All out is last step.

Early days so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Same in every union, everyone wants pay rise or whatever is being fought for but some don't like industrial action when it comes around. This (if true) is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭eddiejn

they ll get it sorted eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

[personal reference removed-Tenger]

A 'strict work to rule' in an industrial dispute scenario is designed to cause problems for whatever company is involved.

Bulldust about advising the public about how "under resourced" the airline is proves how clueless you are .

Every concern and company operating today would eventually buckle if the workforce went on a "strict work to rule"

Promulgating the view that there should be stand byes for everything and not having these stand byes is proof of under resourcing is ridicoulus.

In an operational environment things will go wrong, some will be minor, some will be more serious.

In a cyclical and highly competitive industry, airlines cannot afford to have a large tranche of employees sitting around

in case something happens, co-operation is needed and a 'strict work to rule ' obviates that.

Yes, when bigger disruptions occur and there is no standby cover available the airline will hire in, that's how

it can afford to keep the cost base down and not have too much resources when the downturn season comes in.

[Mod edit]

Post edited by Tenger on

where are you getting this "vast WC changes" information from.

Could you outline them here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

"In a cyclical and highly competitive industry, airlines cannot afford to have a large tranche of employees sitting around"

This is very true.

But what is also true is the requirement for necessary goodwill from the workforce to operate in the flexible fashion to have that competitive edge.

The creation and maintenance of this goodwill is one of the primary tasks of the senior management team. It is obviously absent otherwise we would not be in the current position. So it was either never there or too much rope was taken.

Either is a management failure.

With the news of the CEO receiving more shares, I can only wonder if that PR re the shares was deliberately caused to raise the roof or just badly timed.

Much more measured and sensible post that the other stuff.

You have made many good points .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

A case of you’ve only ever seen the one side of a union. When a staff member goes through a hard time with a company and needs support. That’s the stuff people don’t see or hear about the vast majority of time. When a company wants to cut staff. Good luck in getting a half decent package while the union will fight to keep as many jobs as possible and the unlucky ones get as much as possible from the company. Good luck on your own

• Registered Users Posts: 5 taxingtimes22

I know no one knows for sure but anyone any idea when they Labour Court might make the recommendations? Due to fly home from Turkey Tuesday night and the same flight was cancelled last Tuesday and Saturday, looking to make plans for work, pets etc. Even if they do make a recommendation do people feel it is likely it could be implemented quickly and work to rule called off?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It requires both sides to accept the recommendations

As it stands the current work to rule remains and there won't be an escalation until after the union members vote on the recommendation

If the union and EI accept we go back to normal, it won't be instant but a few days to position crews in the case of JFK and ORD

As I said above

1. Recommendations are not binding on either side
    2. Management will either accept or reject
    3. IALPA may recommend for or against the "deal"
    4. Pilots may/will be balloted on the deal . If management accept it they will almost definitely require IALPA to ballot the members whether or not the union recommend it
    5. Since management have poor form in accepting IALPA electronic ballots it will be a paper ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is this is Izmir flight ? If so last Tuesday I believe was due to the crew being out of hours. While Saturday was likely due to the strike.

The latest cancelations for next week are already published for the work to rule.

Whatever the LC recommend will have to go to a vote with IALPA but it's unlikely to have any impact on flights already cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 5 taxingtimes22

My friend is due back the same day on the Izmir flight that was cancelled last night too, I am on the Dalaman to Dublin flight that was cancelled Saturday the 29th of June and Tuesday 2nd of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

If the court issued the recommendation today, IALPA would have to decide whether or not they are recommending that their members accept it. They would probably decide that pretty quickly. They would then have to ballot their members to decide whether or not the deal is accepted. This would most likely be an electronic vote, as the previous ballot on the interim LC recommendation was electronic. Aer Lingus only challenged the electronic ballot on industrial action because any company facing industrial action will understandably take any and all measures to attempt to subvert that action. I don't expect that they would challenge a ballot on the recommendation. Aer Lingus would also have to decide whether or not to accept this recommendation. They could decide quite quickly but may not announce their decision until they know the outcome of the IALPA ballot. They have done this before, waiting until IALPA have balloted against a motion and then announcing that they would have accepted it.

All of this is to say that even if the recommendation comes today, the process involved in accepting or rejecting it would likely take at least a week, during which time the work to rule would continue. I wouldn't expect further strike announcements until after the ballot and obviously only if the recommendation is rejected by IALPA. A minimum 7 days notice is still required for a strike so it would be at least 2 weeks before we would see another work stoppage.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and the LC can produce a recommendation that is palatable to both parties. The biggest problem for you at the moment is that Turkish destinations are some of the longest duties for flight crews on short haul and so are susceptible to crew going out of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Was told today that a labour court recommendation was planned to be given by EOB today but that’s unlikely now.

Re: Turkey flights, crew on those flights regularly go out of hours and have to go into “discretion” in order to get home. As part of the WRT, pilots are not going into discretion hence more flights than normal getting stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If that flight was being cancelled for the strike Aer Lingus would have told you already so, it will go ahead unless impacted by work to rule etc which cannot be predicted.

Off topic but by the way, I came back on that flight 3 weeks ago - check in was mental -get there 3 hours early - also, the check in staff adopted a ryanair approach to luggage size and weight - keep within your limits, there was no flexibility - may have changed but, it was only 3 weeks back and 2 flights per week so, not many cycles.

Dalaman is an expensive airport too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

What are the max hours for EI pilots before going into discretion on short haul? It must be very tight on the Turkey and longer routes. Any delay along the way and that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

More flights cancelled up till the 14th of July same time as the 3 aircraft that are leased in contract is till 14th of july probably be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭sailing

80 more flights that a management team need to explain the truth to its customers as to why their flights are cancelled.

Not enough pilots to fly them without them flying on their days off, doing overtime, changing their duties etc etc etc.

Quite normal for most companies in the transport sphere I would suggest, who are experiencing a 'strict work to rule'.

Management merely trying to protect the schedule to minimise disruption

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

My understanding is not that these are cancelled because they don’t have the crew but more so keeping a surplus of crew “available” so last minute disruption doesn’t result in delays that would require a risk to flights being cancelled due to crew going out of hours etc

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭CoisFharraige

I'm not sure I would agree with "regularly" going out of hours unless you have some insider knowledge in which case better to state that - if that's the case (crew on a certain sector regularly going into discretion) a company needs to address it. The Max FDP (flight duty period) under EASA FTLs (flight time limitations) is 12h 15mins for a flight departing at that time in the afternoon. The flight departs at 14:50 and lands back into Dublin at 00:35. That's less than a 10hr sector, add an hour for beginning of duty. I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

They are probably looking at predictions on the aircraft running late so the jets dont get stranded at far ends leaving them unable to do the next days trips , and that is the basis for the cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭knobtasticus

Flight departs at 1340 with a report time of 1245. Scheduled arrival back in DUB is 2359 plus 20mins post flight duty - 0019. 11:34 total duty time assuming everything runs on schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

An hour isn't a lot of slack in an 11 hour duty. On two long sectors like that it's very easy to pick up a slot for enroute restrictions when you're passing through so many different countries. And then there's Turkish ATC and airport infrastructure...

Also with it being an afternoon flight in summer it's a near certainty that there will be thunderstorms somewhere along the route, increasing the likelihood of slots

Advertisement