Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's great until Offaly win a few All Ireland's and then he will be the devil 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I just heard the podcast. It was a great episode.

Hilarious stuff, Skehill is certainly no fan of Davy and his antics. Even the mention of him irritates him.

He'd rather "eat cowsh!te" than work with Davy….. not ideal for a member of the U20 management team !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

How true ,Offaly will have too much money and it won't be fair on the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Listened to it this morning. Fair play to Skehill he didn't spare the rod and did a right hatchet job on Davy. I'd say Davy's giant ego will be bruised by that. No hurling pundit has had the stones to ever call Davy out like that before. I would expect a response from Davy, though. What a refreshing listen that was. But please Dublin do not fall for this mans 'charms'. We have Fossets circus up here. We don't need another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yeah, interesting point on whether Davy will respond.

If he doesn't respond, then is that like admitting the allegations were true? (tapping up of O'Neills backroom staff)

btw he must be referring to Fergal Healy, no? Selector under O'Neill, and together with Skehill on the u20 management now so they must speak a lot. Also they hurled together for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Montys return

Haven't listened to the podcast, but a bit like many Waterford fans slating Davy before this championship even began, I don't think Skehill is capable of any balance when it comes to Fitzgerald.

He might be a dislikable personality, but too many people use that as an excuse to discredit his record or the performances of his teams. Ultimately, he has never had the big jobs in hurling and never will so I would say he deserves some objective credit for his record along with the criticisms many would have of him.

It serves nobody to have fellas masquerading as analysts of the game where they cannot be objective in their assessment of somebodys qualities and weaknesses as either player or manager.

Do you disagree with Skehill and his distaste for Fitzgerald selling himself around to counties when they still have managers and trying to tap up other managers staff ?

Davy got Waterford relegated this year and they were poor in last years championship so was the Waterford fans criticism unjust ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Think Skehill was quite objective, Fitz did win an All Ireland, how much that was due to Kinnerk/Players taking control rather than him is very debateable, but his last few jobs have been a circus and running his mouth off to his media mates,no proper county board would put up with that...Skehill brought up about 'tapping up' of existing backroom teams and canvassing of county boards for jobs too, who wouldn't believe that either given the way he operates…

It was funny listening to Skehill wonder about the rumour of the Tipperary dream team of Sheedy, O Shea and Gleeson possibly taking over the Galway management next year. Saying that Murph would have to do 95% of the talking on that podcast were it to happen 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Fitzgerald was the last manager to win Munster with Waterford, the last to win Leinster with Wexford, and the last to win an All Ireland with Clare. Waterford, this year, were probably the unlucky team of the championship as they beat Cork, only drew with Tipperary at the death, and lost by only a point against Clare in Ennis.

You might not like the guy personally but his managerial record is actually quite good if given fair scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The only thing that Skehill kinda complained about that I think was slightly unfair (which isn't just a Davy thing) was the one about him presenting his costs/backroom team etc. on PowerPoint.

Every county management team does that now (and clubs should be too). It has to be done for projections.

Manager/Coaches cost per session (+ expenses). Backroom team costs (physio etc), Software/Hardware costs. Gear requirements (balls etc). It actually makes life a lot easier for County Boards. I've been involved in similar for Underage Male and Female teams, nevermind the adult teams, so it's not just a Davy thing. Straight away County Boards can get planning on fund raisers and all of that stuff.

Generally any extra people that come on board later in the year then would either be volunteering or else be lucky to claim expenses.

I would tend to agree with him that this is clearly Davy's career now. So in that sense, I can understand him being ruthless in trying to get new Intercounty roles and having little interest in Club roles.

Very few people are questioning his record.

They are questioning his personality and his slimy antics like constantly blaming other people publicly including his own players or scheming for jobs. People don't want that associated with their county.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭rjoe90

The thing with Davy is that people overlook the fact he is actually a very good manager. He is the only manager to have won a Munster championship, Leinster champion, Fitzgibbon cup and an all Ireland. His style and personality though definitely deters the bigger counties from going for him so I would be shocked if Galway did. I think the next job for him is Dublin which would suit him and he can use the underdog mentality.

How many managers have tried ?

The vast majority just manage their own county and no one else no matter how good they are. Davy is one of the few in hurling that has made it his profession.

Brian Lohan has tried his hand at it (bar the Leinster championship) and has just 1 of the 3.

Would I like him at Limerick though? No, as I’m not a fan of his style and don’t think he would be suited to the job but for smaller counties who aren’t expected to win he does a good job with them - Wexford, Waterford and Clare. Would be a good fit for Dublin, potentially even Offaly.

Well, the poster I replied to said his last two jobs were a "circus" and seemed to be trying ng to attribute the All Ireland win in 2013 to Paul Kinnerick (which in the interests of fairness must by extension raise questions about any influence John Kiely has had).

I don't know much about Fitzgerald's "scheming" looking for jobs so can't comment on that (obviously I realise he's a professional hurling manager but wouldn't know what goes on in the background) but I think there was a definite implication that he has achieved little in his managerial career. It seems to me that he has tended to bring improvement anywhere he has gone. Mightn't suit people to acknowledge that not but there's truth in it I believe.

Obviously there's free shot at slagging Fitzgerald off at this stage (while say Shefflin's pointless disastrous tenure seems to be to down to an "ageing team" etc. - nothing to do with Shefflin apparently) but it is only reasonable I think to point out that Fitzgerald actually has some achievements to point to.

On the basis of what we saw in Galway Shefflin will be waiting a very long time to bring provincial titles and an All Ireland title to counties of limited traditional success as Fitzgerald did.

Shefflin doesn't get "slagged off" because he doesn't make himself a panto character the way Fitz does.

He can't crave and court all the attention and then cry when he gets extra attention.

I have also seen nobody make excuses for Shefflin.

I threw this question at someone older than myself and was nearly sorry I did such was the overwhelming nunbers involved.

They suggested off the top of their head Pat Joe Whelehan, Eamon Cregan, Michael Keating, Cyril Farrell, John Meyler, Mícheál Donoghue, Ger Loughnane, Justin McCarthy, Anthony Daly, Michael Bond, Colm Bonnar, Gerald McCarthy, and others such as Ger Cunningham, Derek McGrath and Eamon O'Shea who have had involvement with different counties as manager or part of management teams. It can be assumed Shefflin will end up somewhere else too. It seems to be fairly common actually but actual success is far less common. I think the more sober reflection of history will look back more kindly on Fitzgerald's record than the immediate rush to kick his reputation allows.

I can't comment on something as subjective and abstract as a "panto figure" but Shefflin failed and failed royally. There are indeed plenty of people being very soft focus in their analysis of his disastrous tenure if you open your mind to it and detach it from a comparison with Fitzgerald.

He did fail and I don't see him get a top job anytime soon. He will have to do very well at underage or a lower division for any big team to take a chance on him.

I definitely don't compare him to Fitzgerald. Don't see the situation as the same.

• Advertisement

Looking back at Davys success with Wexford in 2019 it really wasn't an impressive Leinster campaign. Wexford drew with Dublin, Galway and Kilkenny and only win was against Carlow and this was good enough to make it to Leinster final. Both Dublin and Galway actually won more games in the group but lost out on scoring difference. Wexford then won the Leinster final so credit for that.

Wexford then blew a great chance in All Ireland semi final with Tipperary reduced to 14 men with 25 mins of normal time remaining so Wexford could not get the job done with the guts of half an hour hurling left. What an opportunity blown.

All the counties would be expected to beat Carlow that year and did so (i know Kilkenny drew with them this year) so in their five other games v evenly matched teams in the 2019 championship Wexford won one game which happened to be the Leinster final.

Whatever way you want to look at it to discredit Davy, he won Wexford their only Leinster title in 20 years. Should have beaten Tipperary of course but don’t let that take away from what they achieved that year. Also players naivety probably cost them that day as they were hugely inexperienced in them high pressure games in Croke park.

They played a high pressure game in Croke Park just a few weeks beforehand in Leinster final. I gave Wexford credit for winning the Leinster final but one win in five championship games (not counting whipping boys Carlow) is not very impressive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I always felt it was one those semi finals that players let themselves down rather than tactics from sideline. They messed up some very easy plays from what I remember. When you look at what Tipp did to kilkenny in final it was one that got away but in fairness he did well.

There is a difference when your year is on the line, lose the Leinster final and you are still in the championship. The knockout stages of the championship is different gravy. It was the players who cost them the game ultimately not the sideline. Bad misses and lack of leadership killed them.

Obviously things worked out fine for Limerick but at the time it was awful disappointing to have 2 of the big 3 back in the final when it could have been Limerick and Wexford following up Limerick, Galway and Waterford the previous years. Would have been a nice run of smaller teams in finals.

Limerick and Wexford would have been a good final that year - a rerun of 96 😎

Very true, it was not the greatest provincial campaign every waged. But it'll be interesting to see how long it takes a Wexford to go five games undefeated in Leinster in one seaaon again. And the performance of the county before and since 2019 does not suggest he underachieved.

I'm not a cheerleader for Fitzgerald but he deserves credit for bringing organisation and improvement anywhere he has gone. Whatever misgivings people have about his personality is one thing (I don't know the man or the details of various incidents so can't hold that against him) but there is something about him as a manager to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Skehill is a bit of an eejit and would do anything to create headlines.

Reality is Davy would be a big step up from Shefflin. Lot of those Galway lads need a kick up the hole and no better man than Davy. Galway would be back as contenders with him in charge so happy enough to see him not get the job.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Same could be said for some of the Waterford players at the end of 2022 and look how that turned out

Advertisement