Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Never know with kids. Yes not a good performance. Maybe overconfidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭doyle55

Are we really the bookie's favorites for this tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

This has been a monumentally frustrating watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Shehal

Our only hope is someone like Hugh Gavin scores a wonder try or something, we dont not deserve it so it would be justice if we lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

6 points dodged there

• Advertisement

Georgian scrum….I wonder what will happen here….

Hope the Irish players had a good time watching Georgia control the game from the 40th minute on.

Unforced errors, sloppy penalties, missed/passive tackles and subpar set pieces. If we sneak this at the death it'll be a travesty.

Fair play but f**k me we do NOT deserve that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Oh my my!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pulled it out of the bag..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Wow what a finish. Brilliant stuff, thought we were dead and buried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

heart-breaking for Georgia

Sounds harsh to say but Georgia only have themselves to blame, they had the chance to put us away with those missed kicks and failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well rescued but that was not good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

did we win? In playground and knock on I turned it off 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

3 minutes of guts and determination, 77 minutes of frustratingly poor play from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Gavin's clear out on the edge when the ball went wide to Smyth was so important there - he was so isolated.

I wonder if they knew the drop goal would suffice...

That Georgian kicker will have serious nightmares about those two missed kicks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Great belief from the Irish players to play passing rugby when a point down with time up and deserved the score at the end to clinch it.

based on the game I watched they didn’t deserve to win but I didn’t see the final play

Georgia not scoring either penalty was absolutely vital in that final play for Ireland as it meant the Georgian players were too scared to concede a kickable penalty or that we might drop goal so they left the breakdown alone and let us play, if we needed a try to win the game at the end we would have lost I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

Treacy made a huge difference when he came on. Looked dangerous on the ball and added a spark to the attack. That try took a bit of finishing too. Never panicked when it bounced.

They did deserve it, they were dominant in the first half, defended well towards the end of the second half and upped the work rate when they needed a score to win it.
    They worked the ball from touchline to touchline from the half-way line and didn’t let up, could have tried a drop goal but kept it going in the forwards, sucked them in with pressure on the try line and swung it far wide to run it in the other side of the pitch.
    It showed the boys believed they could do it, no panic, trusted their ability and managed to win 2 minutes into extra time.
    Slotted the conversion from the side-line too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Not panicking was mightily impressive

This side has guts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Same laws everywhere else though. What do you change to change approach to scrummaging at schools and youths rugby then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

We seem to select (in all the academies) for size and athletic dynanism over scrummaging. I personally think its a good strategy to be honest but the reason scrummaging is bad is cos it isn't a priority.

• Advertisement

Havent seen game but strong performance it seems from Georgia. They really need to be added to the under 20 6 nations. They got promoted to World championship after winning the trophy in 2015 and have stayed up every year since. S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Great second half in France v New Zealand. NZ win with a penalty kick in injury time which had to be confirmed by the TMO!

French 6 is some athlete - French 9 also looks very nippy. Kiwi 11 that phonebooth sidestep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Why are these games not on Irish tv or a youtube channel? Nobody wants to be signing upto rugbypass. No France NZ game when I went into their site.

Because no channel signed up and world rugby chose to show games on rugby pass which they purchased than simply on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So even less people will watch it live. At least the highlights are up on youtube, though it doesn't give you the suggestion for the next game like the URC feed does.

The coverage is free and is good quality on RugbyPass from what I’ve seen. All you need is an email address, not much to complain about.

• Advertisement

Virgin had it last time, maybe the viewing numbers didn’t give a return on investment

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I signed up to rugby pass for this. Totally simple and easy, I'd be happy to watch all rugby this way.

Like the 4 minute highlight options as well.

I'm wondering watching today are all the so called "lesser teams" saving their best for today? Because Italy look a total different team, all over Australia atm (only 7-0 though) and Ireland nearly losing to Georgia.

Rugby pass also shows the 7 series which is great and they showed Eng v Japan last week . Great service

Delete

• Advertisement

Italy and Argentina score at the same time

SA 0-24 Argentina

Australia 0 - 14 Italy

I've mainly been watching Italy v Australia and honestly, where was this Italy team against Ireland? Have been utterly dominant from start to finish, 14 points probably flatters Australia if anything.

EDIT - Australia score a try with basically their first attack from a maul!

And ironically SA also score a try at the same time from a penalty try!

And Italy have beaten Australia 17-12.

i honestly think we have the team to win this thing. Bring back sheahan, spicer, gleeson and murphy into the starting line up and it will make a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭johnh6767

that’s an optimistic statement after what we saw today, I am full for optimism, and called the win as we were losing, but large gap between NZ / France to today , we have to be honest with ourselves. Proud of those men pulling the worm from the weed at the last play

To me the drop off from murphy to naughton, and sheahan to smyth is pretty big right now especially. Smyth has higher upside imo so there is an argument to play him anyway. I'f question Murphy's ceiling but he is incredibly polished for an u20s ten.

I think getting Treacy and McLaughlin back in as well, not to mention spicer and gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭johnh6767

I hope you’re right, it just feels like a large moat to jump. Reality is we were 20 seconds from this boards absolutely boshing this team. Personally I am full of admiration for how Georgia handled themselves as apparent & dramatic underdogs . Equally impressed with our men to pull off a last play win against the head. Pre match lessons - Always frightening to see an over confident team , today we came good but ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Crazy set of results, tournament is wide open, Ireland had a bad day, but with a few first teamers back, could do well, maybe today was a needed wake up.

Sorry, i forgot the main reason. This year's france don't look as good as last year. That leaves it more wide open than people think imo.

I think people are downplaying Georgia, they beat England a couple of wks ago. Their Pack are monsters , their outhalf has played senior internationals for Georgia. They are a very good team and we done very well to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭lonester99

Mullan deserves a shot over Sparrow against australia, more tenacity and higher work rate sparrow looked like he didnt want to be there. Also Ward should come back in over Flynn or edogbo both were comprehensively outplayed by their opposites. Maybe something like:

1. Boyd
    2. Sheehan,
    3. Mullan
    4. Spicer
    5. O'connell
    6. Mccillop
    7. Ward
    8. Gleeson
    9. Coffey
    10. Murphy
    11. Treacy
    12. Gavin