Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 Graduates Thread - What's Next?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The plan has to work for your life - no point taking on a plan that you don't have full belief in, or that doesn't suit you. If the group long run is important to you, then it's important to work that in. I'm not sure meshing the two plans as you suggest is the best idea, I'd be more inclined to stick the HHI1 structure, and maybe sprinkle in some of the Wednesday (or Tuesday in your case) sessions from the Grads plan. Looking at it, maybe the sessions from the "Beginner Marathon" tab are more aligned with the distances suggested in HHI1, so maybe sub in some of those to HHI1 on your Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

thanks for reply.

Sorry, should have mentioned it is the beginner tab I'm using for the boards plan, so the plan for this week would be

60 Very Easy | 5 x 8 min threshold | 60 Very Easy | Rest | 8K | 15K | Rest/Cross

Boards Beginner would have been:

60 Very Easy | 5 x 8 min threshold | 60 Very Easy | Rest | 60 Very Easy | 70 min Threshold | Rest/Recovery 20 mins

HH intermediate 1 would have been:

5k | 8K | 5K | Rest | 8K | 15K | Cross

It is a bit of a step up in KM to combine the two plans compared to just HH, at least for now anyways. I started doing the hybrid plan this week to start somewhere: 60 V.Easy was 8.5K and 9k this week. The threshold run was 14K with wu and cd. So I have 32k done at this point, while I'd only have 18K with HH.

The boards plan doesn't really ramp up the midweek runs at all, they are always 60 Easy with a speed session, and I don't see any of the other sessions being any longer than 14K. HH does eventually have weeks that start with 8k | 13k | 8K, so not a million miles off.

Yeah I had considered just adding speed sessions to HH, but I was kind of worried that at what point am I essentially just creating a new plan anyways.

I feel ok so far for the week, and thats even after racing a 10 mile on Saturday. I have had 3 months of between 30-45K a week leading up to this, so while 55Km projected for this week is a step up, it's not a huge change. Boards plan only would probably have been similar KM anyways. Next week is a step back with HH too so that should drop back to a projected 45K for the week.

I know there is no magic 8 ball which will say its the right thing to do or not. I just didn't find a plan that really resonated with me (yet?) so said I'd just try something!

Sounds like you've thought it through well and formed a solid plan. Just to note, this weeks session was 4x8 min, not 5x8, and it's a 70 min progression run, not 70 min threshold! Probably just typo's but just wanted to point it out.

There's no magic plan, or indeed magic session. It's all about building sensibly and steadily over the long haul.

The Saturday threshold was a typo, but I did run 5x Threshold on Tuesday… :/ (there is 12 minutes of my life I won't get back!)

I'll properly combine the plans and print them out this weekend to avoid such mishaps in the future!

The boards plan is 14 weeks and the HH plan is 18 - I think you've overlooked that too? Just use the Wednesday Progression/Moderate runs from the boards base plan until it catches up to HH. Probably best to print it out alright!

• Advertisement

Yup, to be honest I had missed that! I combined the plans last night and only realised it then. Hopefully my running will be more successful than my organisation attempts!

This is the current iteration of the plan, we are in week 2. Roughly 975km on the plan + DCM (I'm rough guessing for some of the Tuesday sessions distances, but its probably close enough).

Last year I started HH in week 5 and did 750KM, so comparing the two plans from week 5 on, its about 60-70KM extra in total, which should be ok spread over 12/13 weeks

Tullamore is a week later than HH Race half should be, so I just swapped those weeks around. I also reduced the running a little that week. I ran a training run as the half race last year (Just went out locally but at race pace), and it went well from a time point of view, but I think getting an extra race day experience will be helpful as I think i was a bit green last year.

I might do streets of Galway (which is 8k) instead of the "12K (P)" (marathon pace) and push the 23K til Sunday (depending on how I'm feeling). Not overly bothered on a time for this so don't need to go flat out or anything, just more for the social aspect nearly. Not signed up yet though.

I did Tullamore myself last year. It's a great race, well organised, nice t-shirt and oodles of parking on site. I will likely end up doing it again this year… currently weighing one or two options.

Post edited by Mr. Guappa on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just in relation to Tullamore Half - it's almost sold out so don't sit on the fence regarding entry.

Yeah good point! It sold out last year for sure, I had intended to run it but sat on the fence too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Was catching up with this thread after a little while and made me think I better get my ass in gear. I hadn't put any thought into which plan for this years DCM, and it's hard to believe it's that time again!

After looking at Boards novice plan from 2023, Boards beginner plan in the spreadsheet and Hal Higdon, I might try the hydrid approach like witnessmenow as for long runs I need distance goals (I am really slow and not getting any faster). A mix of the beginner and novice plans, or maybe I could just do the novice plan. I do like mixing it up midweek though for more speed, when time goals are fine. What I have to consider when making the plan is I need to have at least one yoga session per week and one S&C. Another thing is that I play 5 a side once a week which I'm not sure helps with the training. I can do the Thursday run early AM and then football in the evening. I'll drop the football at some point though in case of injury. Last thing is that I joined a running group a few months ago, which is great for the being social while running, and mixing it up training wise, but being as slow as I am, their easy pace is my PB pace. I think that might be a bad idea as risk of overdoing it and injury will increase, and it's probably not ideal for improving my base fitness. So, I might do the shorter sessions with them and do LSRs by myself.

I've been running 4-5 a week since spring but had hols in June and a bad dose so missed a good chunk then. Did Clontarf HM last weekend in 2:27 which I'm happy enough with considering training was limited for the 5 weeks previous. Didn't walk any sections and it was a tough day with the wind and heat.

• Advertisement

Yeah its crazy how fast it comes around! Plenty of time though, the DCM plan they post only started this week so we're in ok shape time wise!

I have the exact same issue with the run group at times. I'm one of the slower in the bunch and I subscribe to the "run easy runs easy" mantra, so there will definitely be times it doesn't work out for me. Even just last weekend, I did 6k on my own before the run group and then there was a bunch of people doing a 10k and my plan was to join them, but their pace was way too fast for my easy pace so I ended up just letting them off.

There is a lot of factors into what pace is right for someone to run, and in the end you really need to do whats right for you. I could have kept up with the group if I had to, I ran a 10 mile race the previous week at a quicker pace, but I had already ran 45KM that week before starting the 10K, the most I've ran in months so there was absolutely nothing to be gained and a risk of injury pushing at the end of a tough week.

You might find there are a few who are also pushing on these runs and would be happier to go slower to if there was a group. We had one last year, we referred to ourselves as the turtle gang. Unfortunately I'm the only memeber of the turtle gang signed up this year so I think I might be doing a good chunk of these long runs on my own, but I'm happy to do that for the next 16 weeks or whatever if its the right thing to do. Might even be decent practise for running the marathon as you'll probably be on your own there too.

Well done on the HM, it sounded like a tough day for it! I haven't ran past 16k since March I think so will be interesting to get back into the longer long runs.

Thanks @witnessmenow. I'm fairly certain I'll do the novice plan for weekends as it has the required mileage. The question is midweek. Beginner has a bit more speed work (threshold/CV/tempo), whereas novice has MP as the fastest pace. I think I need some faster sessions just to keep it more interesting.

Easy and very easy pace is something I need to work out. Using Tinman, that's ~8:15/km, ~7:45/km for me. That reads and feels so slow. Maybe I need to just try it and stick to it. Maybe I have always done my LSRs too fast, hence why my times have not improved much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I am getting more and more conflicted with the run slow to get faster mantra to be honest. I've been doing it for about a year and a half or so. While my heart rate has come down significantly, I'm finding it a lot harder to run at the faster paces I used to do before I started it.

Without knowing the specifics of your paces, running history and weekly schedule I can only comment generally.

Firstly, it's great that you HR has come down significantly - this itself is a massive sign of progress. Progress will never be linear either, some times it will come in great chunks, other times in tiny increments. But trust the process - every running book I've ever read has a steady diet of EASY running (note, not slow - EASY) at it's core.

I've a ~10K loop that I used to peg around in 50 minutes twice a week. But I'd do nothing else for the week, because my legs and body would be wrecked. That was 6 years ago, and then I discovered easy/sensible running… these days that loop takes me an hour, but tbh I don't even look at the watch. If I did that loop in 50 minutes now, I'd manage it, but it would be a serious workout. Thing is, I'm now able to run 6 days per week, something I could never have comprehended back in the day.

Progress in running takes consistency and patience.

Thanks for taking time to reply. I have also read and own a few books re running slowly etc. I am not saying I disagree with it as such. I have slowed down in my running, although I admit that I sometimes don't slow down enough. My point was not being able to maintain running faster in events. But to be honest I would put that down to probably strategy and doing too much. I have been running now for three years (c25k anniversary this month) and got the bug of entering almost every running event in my area. I think I have actually gone at it too hard and need to take a step back and scale down the events big time if I want to be serious about improving my times. I suppose I'm running around as if I was 20 or 30 years younger and not realising my body cant take it at 56 lol.

I have quite ill recently and went back running too soon and got quite a few warnings from Garmin that I wasn't able (I thought I was btw). Anyway, I intent to change my approach for this years training and not wear myself out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How many events are you doing and how hard are you going during the events? Outside of events are you doing any speedwork or faster stuff? Also, how many days a week and how much mileage a week are you doing? I think that is where the whole run slow to get faster comes from. Running slow allows you to run a lot during the week and still be relatively fresh enough to do faster sessions like threshold runs, intervals, race pace runs etc. Some people seem to think that you just run all your runs easy and you'll get faster without realising that you need to still be doing faster stuff and running a lot.

I've seen huge improvements with running with the vast majority being easy running, the only major goal I would consider a failure so far is DCM23.

But I think as has been touched on already that the main thing I attribute to running easy is my ability to run 5 or maybe even 6 times a week without injury, and thats including a very good portion of these runs with me being "obese" on the BMI scale.

I've had two minor niggles, had one issue with my achilles (which actually predates me being very focused on easy running. was out for about a week, has been fine since with extra stretches) and every now and again I get a touch of PF but its completely manageable with stretches.

But while running lots certainly should help, it doesn't guarantee anything! I'm not sure I know of any Marathon debutants last year that ran more than me during the training block but I don't think I've heard of anyone who had a worse effort! (other than maybe people who got injured)

This summer I'm trying to include more speed work and it does seem to be having an impact, although its hard to tell if improvements is a result of speed work or losing weight, but whatever it is, its definitely seems to be working, I guess we'll find out in October if it applies to marathons too!

I think sometimes a reset of expectations helps though based on where you are, especially as you've had some health issues recently. I definitely found it tough earlier in the year, had a couple of months of less than ideal training due to being sick and covid, and also put on a bit of weight, and it was hard to not even be coming close to living up to my standards during marathon training only a few months before. Eventually came to terms of I am where I am and to just move forward from there and set goals based on where I realistically am rather than where I should/could be based on September 23 me.

I have not seen much evidence of improvement from my own efforts with easy running but have certainly seen proof from others who have stuck with it. It may be the case that I pushed into zone 3 a bit too often and did not get the benefit. Or I just didn't give it long enough as I'd run out of patience after a few weeks. Similar to T-Bird, my 5K times are now 1.5 mins slower than 18 months ago which is when I started to increase my mileage training for my first half and full marathon. At the same time, I stopped doing regular S&C work to make room for running extra distance in a week but in hindsight, that was the wrong thing to do. My plan now is to do at least one S&C a week.

According to my Garmin, my zone 2 is 118-132 BPM and using an online calculator it's 125-136, so I'm going to try aim for keeping to the 120s on my easy runs. I've learned from how I feel and my breathing to recognise when I'm putting in too much effort so I shouldn't have to keep looking at the watch, but I'll wear the HR chest strap for these runs just to be sure.

I'm aiming running 5 days a week, yoga and S&C on the other days. One speedier session midweek and LSR at the weekend. All runs bar the speed one will be easy/very easy pace. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back on Sunday so need a few days off running. But I'm raring to go now!!

Events, a lot mid 20s for each of the past 2 years, I literally entered everything. But it was all new to me. I ran 1700 km in 22 and just over 2000 last year running mostly 5 - 6 days a week doing mainly marathon training plans, most without speedwork in them. As I said it was all new to me and I mentioned in my previous post that I probably tired myself out and will approach Dublin 24 with a different strategy involving less events and will be doing hills and speedwork in this training plan.

I think I answered my own questions in my previous post. But also, looking back, my mindset has been very negative for some reason. I feel good am running as I should but then find that I start doubting myself and end up waling or even stopping for a few times. I got it at the halfway stage during Limerick Marathon this year and at a 10k in Roscommon recently. Unfortunately, once that starts I find it very difficult to start back up again.

How's your fuelling on the day of these runs, including during?

I've come to terms with I need more fuelling than others. At the 10 mile run in Roscommon I had:

• 2 gels
    • 4 cola bottles (roughly 6 is the equivalent of a gel carb wise)
    • About 300ml of a carb loaded drink (about a gel)

If I had posted a thread on here saying I was thinking of taking this stuff for a 10 miler, I would be ridiculed. And in fairness there wasn't many there with gels at all.

Maybe I didn't need all that, you would need to clone me and compare how one got on with and one without to know for sure, but I've had weeks where I basically hit the wall at 12K at a relatively easy pace one week, had to stop for a walk and raced a 16k the following week at a faster pace, where I just focused on food and fuelling a bit more.

So I want to practise what works for me. In these experiments I want to basically see what my limits are of fuelling without negatively impacting me. For example I know I start to feel crap stomach wise after 3 or 4 gels, so spreading the load into different delivery methods seems to have helped

I'm currently eating a calorie deficit and losing weight week on week, so maybe that requires a different approach than the norm. Although you'll find some people online recommending 2-3 gels per hour!

• Advertisement

I might sometimes have 1 at start of a 10k and possibly 1 during a 10 miler and every 30min for longer runs including training (watch is constantly set every 30 mins as a reminder during runs). I take fluids during events and mostly make a point of walking whilst drinking for HMs & Ms.

I have been using Precision Fuel PF 90 Gels this year, they are like Maurten gels but have a removal lid and have 3 servings instead of the 1. I find them easier as I need to carry less and can sip on them and put the lid back on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Do you have a training log on here? If not, think about setting one up. Aside from what you put into it, it's a good memory aid and way of reflecting back over time.

Advertisement